Treats and chews

lynnlew1

Reaction score
What is your safe healthy chew or treat? Bully sticks, raw hides, pig ears, etc? Heard carrots are a good thing to give. Need suggestions on what I should give. Bought a kong with a little peanut butter on it but doesn't seem to care much for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't give bully sticks, rawhide or pig ears. For treats, I like to use single ingredient ones like Purebites or Fruitables Jerky (I don't give whole pieces of the jerky but break it up). For training treats, I usually use Zuke's because they are small or pieces of kibble. For chews, I have a few different Nylabones and buffalo horns which are pretty sturdy. With any kind of chew, don't give unsupervised as they can break off small pieces. Another good chew would be raw frozen marrow bones. Jax never liked the Kong with peanut butter either.

lynnlew1

Reaction score
I wouldn't give bully sticks, rawhide or pig ears. For treats, I like to use single ingredient ones like Purebites or Fruitables Jerky (I don't give whole pieces of the jerky but break it up). For training treats, I usually use Zuke's because they are small or pieces of kibble. For chews, I have a few different Nylabones and buffalo horns which are pretty sturdy. With any kind of chew, don't give unsupervised as they can break off small pieces. Another good chew would be raw frozen marrow bones. Jax never liked the Kong with peanut butter either.

Thanks! There's so much out there and I get confused on what's safe and healthy. I'm learning a lot on this site!! Thank you so much!!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
My dogs don't care for Kongs either. I can't give bully sticks as Wally likes to try to swallow them whole. I use extra large yak sticks or nylabones for chews. I haven't tried a carrot but I suspect Wally would treat it the same as a bully stick.

For treats I like to give Orijen, Purebites, Fruitables or Northern cookies. Anything with good ingredients will do the trick.

Jakeyjake

Reaction score
Jake cracked a molar on a Benebone, (similar to Nylabone) so we got rid of all hard plastic bones, including antlers. We don't give pig ears, raw hide or bully sticks either. They only have hard rubber toys like West Paw Design, Kong frisbees, and Kong Wubba. We also have lots of balls because Stella is obsessed with fetch. I like the JW ones best. They destroy stuffed toys too:/

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
No Bully sticks, raw hides, pig ears, or anything like that. Nylabones, Kongs, or Elk antlers are a good choice. As for treats, we give ours Fruitables, a bite or two of banana, apple, they also love carrots, blueberries, strawberries, green beans (the frozen kind) and broccoli.

lynnlew1

Reaction score
b72426f1cfedfd52404b3fc0c2301b05.jpg

I found theses sweet potatoes at a local dog bakery tonight. Tucky LOVED them! We have also tried carrot, and a few bites of my banana the other day. He loved them all!! I think I will dehydrate sweet potatoes and seal package them on my own. Would be cheaper. I'm loving all the wonderful advice and things I'm finding on this Forum/site!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I give raw marrow bones and refill wth peanut butter or cream cheese and freeze... they have moose paddles and nylabones to chew on. Treats are pieces of kibble, bluberries, fruitables, watermelon or green beans

antbkny

Reaction score
Henry's favorite are the Himalayan yak cheese bones but he started flinging them up in the air to break them into smaller pieces lol. Antlers and benebones are all he gets at the moment.

dermich

Reaction score
Kibble does it. Frenchies love to eat, so this is the same motivation. Also fruitable minis when they are really good :)

Tgirl

Reaction score
Twiggy loves the himalayan chews. As far as snacks, she would eat anything that didn't eat her first but mostly I buy fruitables. I have dehydrated sweet potatoes also. :)

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Do raw chicken necks count? :tongue:

This thread reminded me that I need to order some more Himalayan Yak Chews. Keeps Gus very busy. He also likes his Benebones.