Pet Insurance

PhillyFrenchie

Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have pet insurance for their french bulldog? If so, what provider do you recommend?

Also, would it cover their bills for surgeries or hereditary issues they may have?

Thanks,
RB

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone have pet insurance for their french bulldog? If so, what provider do you recommend?

Also, would it cover their bills for surgeries or hereditary issues they may have?

Thanks,
RB

I do. I got it for Jax as soon as I got him and I am glad I did. He is 4 now and just had surgery to repair a herniated disc in his neck. For the surgery, 4 days in the hospital, X-ray, MRI, anesthesia, medications, etc. the total was almost $9,000. I have VPI/Nationwide, the Whole Pet with Wellness plan and got 90% of the costs back after the $250 deductible. They have a couple different plans and the Whole Pet with Wellness does cover hereditary conditions and there is no maximum benefit.

No insurance company will cover pre-existing conditions so if you do get pet insurance, it is better to get it right away before anything gets diagnosed.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
One more thing, not sure about all companies but nationwide it takes like 2 weeks for the plan to go into effect. But if you don't have a dog yet and know the date you are picking one up, you can call 2 weeks ahead of time so he/she will be insured by the time you get him/her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I agree that it's a good idea to get insurance right away, since none of them cover pre-existing conditions.
You can be proactive at preventing health problems in your new puppy:
1) No jumping off furniture for first year, even good idea to take them up and down stairs
2) Healthy 5 star pet food- eg. Fromm grain free puppy or a dehydrated raw all life stages dog food like Honest Kitchen Embark https://www.thehonestkitchen.com/embark and rotate proteins every few months to avoid allergies from developing

I'm sure there is lots more, there's lots of more experienced members here who can chime in

PhillyFrenchie

Reaction score
I do. I got it for Jax as soon as I got him and I am glad I did. He is 4 now and just had surgery to repair a herniated disc in his neck. For the surgery, 4 days in the hospital, X-ray, MRI, anesthesia, medications, etc. the total was almost $9,000. I have VPI/Nationwide, the Whole Pet with Wellness plan and got 90% of the costs back after the $250 deductible. They have a couple different plans and the Whole Pet with Wellness does cover hereditary conditions and there is no maximum benefit.

No insurance company will cover pre-existing conditions so if you do get pet insurance, it is better to get it right away before anything gets diagnosed.

Thank you for the response. I was going to go with Nationwide as well and was aware of the 2 week grace period.

DuBoseof215

Reaction score
I'm looking at Stella Healthy Paw due to unlimited plan. Not sure if 10-14 thousand will be enough.