please HELP potty train

Diego Esteban

Reaction score
Hi there, I've had Diego for about 2 months now and he is 7 months old. I take him out to relive himself and nothing. He don't seem to like grass and he will not leave my side to explore at all, he won't even sniff around for other dogs scents. He was good using potty pads for some time but now he just don't seem to care and goes wherever he wants to. Why won't he leave my side when I take him out? is this normal? PLEASE HELP :pray:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello there...Frenchies can be stubborn and some can take longer than others to potty train. The key is to be consistent. Do you have him on a leash when you’re outside? How long are you outside. How often are you taking him out? Does he ever go outside?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frenchie Fanatic

Reaction score
Hi there, I've had Diego for about 2 months now and he is 7 months old. I take him out to relive himself and nothing. He don't seem to like grass and he will not leave my side to explore at all, he won't even sniff around for other dogs scents. He was good using potty pads for some time but now he just don't seem to care and goes wherever he wants to. Why won't he leave my side when I take him out? is this normal? PLEASE HELP :pray:

Hello,
The "fly in the ointment" in your case may be that someone else had him for the first five months.
He may have started to get used to a different routine. They are creatures of habit.
You do have to be consistent and patient with these little rascals.
Positive reinforcement works best. Make a big deal of it when he gets it right.
Don't worry, he'll get it........eventually. :D
Our first frenchie took forever to get the hang of it.
Others have been much easier.
That "clingy" stage should go away as he gets older, gets used to his surroundings, and becomes more confident.

Best of luck to you and Diego. Cool name by the way!!:yes:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Consistency and patience is key.... it took us two full years to get Cheli house trained

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Have you tried a pad outside?

Always kept in the same spot and take him to it immediately when brought out.

We had to do this for Loki and he has made great progress.

Jumping up and down excitedly when he does something as well as a treat have been part of the process.

Stanrip427

Reaction score
Praising them when they have gone outside is always best. I would always give my pup a treat once she had gone outside. I also took her out first thing in the morning when she wakes up and right before bed to the same spot everyday.

TampaSVT

Reaction score
Consistency for sure... They're beyond creatures of habit...

Weather permitting, I'd stand there until your puppy does their business. If you give up after only a few minutes, they know the boundary and exactly how long they have to wait for you to give up and allow them to go where they're comfortable doing their business. Anything new (even doing their business someplace new and strange) is a big deal to them. Stand your ground and get them to do it a few times and you're golden...

Rich