Helpful Suggestions when applying for a rescue

mhuinker

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with applying for a rescue Frenchie have any helpful suggestions when filling out the application that might make me stand out (in a good way :) ). I am by no means a creative writer at all! I just keep it honest and maybe my answers are too short or not what they are looking for??!! Anyway, I'm at a loss here and would hate to lose out on yet another Frenchie, especially when my heart is set on a specific one.

I just might be going the puppy route if I continue to get turned down by the rescue where I am applying. Don't get me wrong, I would L O V E to have a puppy, as well as a rescue, but I'm just not home during the day to potty train. :(

Thanks in advance.......
-pouting in a corner :moping:

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Well unfortunately I'm not much help there, but I know someone will be along soon who can help.

Debra

Reaction score
Honesty is defiantly the best policy, just be yourself when filling out the app & when talking to the rescue rep. A person could be perfect in all areas, but be denied for something as simple as the dog can not do steps & the potential adopters home has steps. They are looking out for the best interest of the dog. It is a long process & can take weeks or months for it all to come together. If you are not selected, maybe you can ask why you were passed over and ask if there is another frenchie who may be a good fit for you.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Honesty is defiantly the best policy, just be yourself when filling out the app & when talking to the rescue rep. A person could be perfect in all areas, but be denied for something as simple as the dog can not do steps & the potential adopters home has steps. They are looking out for the best interest of the dog. It is a long process & can take weeks or months for it all to come together. If you are not selected, maybe you can ask why you were passed over and ask if there is another frenchie who may be a good fit for you.

Hi Debra - Thanks for the insight. I agree with what you're saying, the best interest of the dog....... I'm just unfamiliar with how this rescue works.... I mean, the only contact I had with anyone was when I filled out the application. No one ever called to ask questions, no home visit, nothing. :( I guess they didn't see the need to contact me further from my application. In reading the description of the doggie, she seemed like a good fit for our home. I won't apply for a dog that I know I cannot care for or handle (i.e. health needs, aggression, etc.) That's one thing for sure is that I won't get myself into a situation that we cannot handle and have to turn the dog back over to the rescue (I would rather die than give up my baby)!

I guess I'm just a little confused and frustrated with this process.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
When you are longing for a rescue dog it's hard not to take it personally when you are not contacted or told the rescue will be adopted by someone else. I was turned down and when I asked it was a good reason; the organization thought the rescue dog would do better in a home with another dog.

Don't lose heart, there is a Frenchie out there waiting to be found by you.

mhuinker

Reaction score
When you are longing for a rescue dog it's hard not to take it personally when you are not contacted or told the rescue will be adopted by someone else. I was turned down and when I asked it was a good reason; the organization thought the rescue dog would do better in a home with another dog.

Don't lose heart, there is a Frenchie out there waiting to be found by you.

I know. Trying not to take it personal, but not really sure why I wasn't picked, no reason given. And the application process just seems so impersonal and generic to me.

Tgirl

Reaction score
Please don't be discouraged. I know it's got to be disappointing. You will find the perfect Frenchie for your family and it will be worth the wait.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Please don't be discouraged. I know it's got to be disappointing. You will find the perfect Frenchie for your family and it will be worth the wait.

I'm not discouraged. I had a little cry on the hubby's shoulder. On to the next one, I not giving up yet. :)

Tgirl

Reaction score
Yay!! Let us know when you find another one. I'm rooting for ya :)

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
Hi Debra - Thanks for the insight. I agree with what you're saying, the best interest of the dog....... I'm just unfamiliar with how this rescue works.... I mean, the only contact I had with anyone was when I filled out the application. No one ever called to ask questions, no home visit, nothing. :( I guess they didn't see the need to contact me further from my application. In reading the description of the doggie, she seemed like a good fit for our home. I won't apply for a dog that I know I cannot care for or handle (i.e. health needs, aggression, etc.) That's one thing for sure is that I won't get myself into a situation that we cannot handle and have to turn the dog back over to the rescue (I would rather die than give up my baby)!

I guess I'm just a little confused and frustrated with this process.

I can only comment by telling you what Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs does with every application.

When we get an app in as long as everything looks ok on the form, we go ahead and call your vets to do a vet check. We're looking for up to date vaccinations, heart worm test and meds. And I usually come right out and ask the person I'm talking to if they would consider the applicant a responsible and loving pet owner.

If you fail the vet check or don't even get that far then we email you and tell you why.

If the vet check goes ok then we move on to the home check.

You also have to please remember that the people who run a rescue do everything voluntarily. So in between juggling work, home, family and other responsibilities they have to somehow fit in rescue work too. I know that people often get very frustrated and angry with us because they don't hear from us for a couple of weeks. I'm sure they believe we all sit at desks working purely for the rescue. So if it's been a couple of weeks since you sent in your application then it may still be getting processed.

Now I'm going to tell you a secret ..... become a volunteer. Go to their fundraising events, transport for them, offer to make phone calls, become a foster ... absolutely anything. And if you can't help out physically, then donate stuff. Crates, food, collars, blankets, money ... whatever. Show them you are fully committed to the rescue and rescuing bulldogs. Getting a foot in the door and letting them see how dedicated you are sure can fast track any application!!

mhuinker

Reaction score
I can only comment by telling you what Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs does with every application.

When we get an app in as long as everything looks ok on the form, we go ahead and call your vets to do a vet check. We're looking for up to date vaccinations, heart worm test and meds. And I usually come right out and ask the person I'm talking to if they would consider the applicant a responsible and loving pet owner.

If you fail the vet check or don't even get that far then we email you and tell you why.

You also have to please remember that the people who run a rescue do everything voluntarily. So in between juggling work, home, family and other responsibilities they have to somehow fit in rescue work too. I know that people often get very frustrated and angry with us because they don't hear from us for a couple of weeks. I'm sure they believe we all sit at desks working purely for the rescue. So if it's been a couple of weeks since you sent in your application then it may still be getting processed.

Now I'm going to tell you a secret ..... become a volunteer. Go to their fundraising events, transport for them, offer to make phone calls, become a foster ... absolutely anything. And if you can't help out physically, then donate stuff. Crates, food, collars, blankets, money ... whatever. Show them you are fully committed to the rescue and rescuing bulldogs. Getting a foot in the door and letting them see how dedicated you are sure can fast track any application!!

Thanks so much for the insight. If what you're saying is true with the rescue I'm going through, then maybe that was my issue; however, I'm not sure how to remedy the issue. In other words, I don't have any pets at this time, haven't had any pets since we have lived here (7 years), therefore I do not have an established vet. I did, however, on my application supply a vet for them to contact that was recommend to me by a Frenchie breeder in my area and his is very familiar with the breed. Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about the vet issue. :(

I will try contacting this particular rescue and ask them about donating stuff and possibly some time. Unfortunately, I work full time also and only have so much time to be able to do any of the volunteer stuff that you mention like events, foster, etc... I don't really think I could qualify for being a foster since I don't have any experience with this breed.

I know I was impatient about hearing from the rescue..... however, I know they are only volunteers and have other jobs, etc., so that wasn't really the frustrating part for me, I knew I would have to wait weeks to hear anything, and that's ok. :yes4:

I never thought getting a dog was so difficult. :rolleyes: I understand they want to place them in the best homes possible. I will keep trying, but I may have to go the puppy route if I keep getting turned down, or not even slightly considered. :(

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the insight. If what you're saying is true with the rescue I'm going through, then maybe that was my issue; however, I'm not sure how to remedy the issue. In other words, I don't have any pets at this time, haven't had any pets since we have lived here (7 years), therefore I do not have an established vet. I did, however, on my application supply a vet for them to contact that was recommend to me by a Frenchie breeder in my area and his is very familiar with the breed. Other than that, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do about the vet issue. :(

I will try contacting this particular rescue and ask them about donating stuff and possibly some time. Unfortunately, I work full time also and only have so much time to be able to do any of the volunteer stuff that you mention like events, foster, etc... I don't really think I could qualify for being a foster since I don't have any experience with this breed.

I know I was impatient about hearing from the rescue..... however, I know they are only volunteers and have other jobs, etc., so that wasn't really the frustrating part for me, I knew I would have to wait weeks to hear anything, and that's ok. :yes4:

I never thought getting a dog was so difficult. :rolleyes: I understand they want to place them in the best homes possible. I will keep trying, but I may have to go the puppy route if I keep getting turned down, or not even slightly considered. :(

When we get apps from people who do not have pets and so no vet to call, we call their references. Do a telephone interview with them to get a feel for what they're like and go from there.

But, as I said, all rescues are different and they may be set up a completely different way. sorry I can't be of more help! :unsure:

mhuinker

Reaction score
When we get apps from people who do not have pets and so no vet to call, we call their references. Do a telephone interview with them to get a feel for what they're like and go from there.

But, as I said, all rescues are different and they may be set up a completely different way. sorry I can't be of more help! :unsure:

No, you've been very helpful. I appreciate the input and helps me understand a little more. Like you said, this rescue (French Bulldog Rescue Network) may work differently, and they may not..... The only reference the application asked for was for a vet, no other references.

winginit66

Reaction score

I would love to get involved in volunteering for a rescue... I also work FT so don't have a tremendous amount of time, but would be willing to help in any way I could. Just don't know how... FBRN seems nationwide. Is best way to go on-line and contact them that way?

mhuinker

Reaction score
I would love to get involved in volunteering for a rescue... I also work FT so don't have a tremendous amount of time, but would be willing to help in any way I could. Just don't know how... FBRN seems nationwide. Is best way to go on-line and contact them that way?

Yes, FBRN is nationwide. I've been looking over their website this morning and trying to find an easy method of contact, but their Volunteer page is not very specific. They do have a form to fill out if you are interested in volunteering, but again, is somewhat vague in my opinion. As far as donating to them, I see where I can donate money, whether it be in general or to a specific Frenchie, but no where can I find where I can donate items they may need.... (maybe they don't need items, and need the money more, I don't know). Out of all the rescue websites for this breed I've looked at, they seem the largest and may be because they are nationwide. For volunteering, they seem to want experienced folks, which is understandable, don't get me wrong, and I have some experience, but with Boxers, not Frenchies.

I feel like I'm going down a dead end road (not giving up though), and not sure where else to look...... I'm leary of websites, but have glanced at petfinder and Oodle Marketplace (I found 1 ad on there that might be of interest, but again, I'm so paranoid about it, that even if there aren't red flags, I feel like there are red flags! :rolleyes:

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, FBRN is nationwide. I've been looking over their website this morning and trying to find an easy method of contact, but their Volunteer page is not very specific. They do have a form to fill out if you are interested in volunteering, but again, is somewhat vague in my opinion. As far as donating to them, I see where I can donate money, whether it be in general or to a specific Frenchie, but no where can I find where I can donate items they may need.... (maybe they don't need items, and need the money more, I don't know). Out of all the rescue websites for this breed I've looked at, they seem the largest and may be because they are nationwide. For volunteering, they seem to want experienced folks, which is understandable, don't get me wrong, and I have some experience, but with Boxers, not Frenchies.

I feel like I'm going down a dead end road (not giving up though), and not sure where else to look...... I'm leary of websites, but have glanced at petfinder and Oodle Marketplace (I found 1 ad on there that might be of interest, but again, I'm so paranoid about it, that even if there aren't red flags, I feel like there are red flags! :rolleyes:

Have you looked on facebook to find out the rescue that covers your paticular state?? FBRN is nationwide ... as in one big umbrella for all the french bulldog rescue groups. For example, we are Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs but we come under BCARN .. Bulldog Club of America Rescue network. But we still have our own facebook page and our own website.

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
Also, go on petfinder and type in your zip and french bulldog and look at all those organisations who do french bulldog rescue in your area. It may take a little detective work but you should be able to work out what specific frenchie rescue covers your area. Forget FBRN .. it's too big, and you need to get down to the individual rescues. :detective:

mhuinker

Reaction score
Have you looked on facebook to find out the rescue that covers your paticular state?? FBRN is nationwide ... as in one big umbrella for all the french bulldog rescue groups. For example, we are Rescue Ohio English Bulldogs but we come under BCARN .. Bulldog Club of America Rescue network. But we still have our own facebook page and our own website.

Hmmm, no I haven't.... not sure how to go about searching facebook for that....

mhuinker

Reaction score
Also, go on petfinder and type in your zip and french bulldog and look at all those organisations who do french bulldog rescue in your area. It may take a little detective work but you should be able to work out what specific frenchie rescue covers your area. Forget FBRN .. it's too big, and you need to get down to the individual rescues. :detective:

I've been looking on petfinder, and unfortunately, not finding a whole lot for my area. :( I will continue to search a little more....... I've tried to google French Bulldog rescues for my area, but coming up either empty, or the big organizations are coming up, like FBRN...

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I've been looking on petfinder, and unfortunately, not finding a whole lot for my area. :( I will continue to search a little more....... I've tried to google French Bulldog rescues for my area, but coming up either empty, or the big organizations are coming up, like FBRN...

Keep all breed rescues and your local shelters on your checklist too.... When a particular area doesn't have a breed specific rescue this is likely where they will end up.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)