hip dysplasia in 10 month old

hmeyers13

Reaction score
recently, my sweet pup Pippa was diagnosed with "severe" hip dysplasia. she is only 10 months old and hasn't shown any signs of pain - she runs and jumps and plays and is the happiest dog i know. i only brought her in because she broke her leg about 6 months ago and saw that she was ever so slightly favoring it and was looking for a physical therapy rec only to find out they thought it was something more serious than just continuing discomfort from her previous injury. she is so young and my entire world and i am struggling a lot with this diagnosis... at this point we are just having her take it easy for about a month before we make any decisions about surgery to assess just how serious it is at this point. however i am feeling super concerned about what this means for the course of her life... am i preparing to watch her slowly get worse and worse for the next several years and maybe even have her life cut short because of this? or, will this not become a serious issue for several more years? as i said, Pippa is my baby and I would do anything at all to take care of her. does anyone have any experience with this??

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
So sorry you are going through this. It really does suck when something is wrong with them and we can't fix it. My 4 year old was diagnosed with IVDD in July and there is no cure, just precautions to take.

Are you on Facebook? A member on here (she doesn't come on here anymore) has a Frenchie with severe bilateral Hip Dysplasia and a luxating patella and she ended up getting a brace for him. Here is is Facebook page, you might be able to get more info - https://www.facebook.com/BionicBis/

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
A femoral head osteotomy is a lot less expensive than a total hip replacement for this condition, not as good, but good to know all your options.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
be sure to get a second opinion... my Bulldog was also diagnosed with severe HD at 8-10 months. She lived a wonderful fun, active, playful 9 years. we started her on joint supplements (back then it was GLC 1000) and kept her weight under 60 lbs.
She ran, played, jumped and kept up in all ways... we did two opinions-- the first said she would not be walking or possibly not alive by the time she was two. then we went back to our regular vet (he ws on vacation at the time Banks' issued started)... he said, any other breed, yes, she would have a difficult life, but he gave us options and she made it 9 years with supplements, weight and activity management.

Get a second opinion, and since she is young you MIGHT have options before surgery

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I agree, get a second opinion. Bulldogs are really good at adapting! Surgery should be the last resort choice.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
be sure to get a second opinion... my Bulldog was also diagnosed with severe HD at 8-10 months. She lived a wonderful fun, active, playful 9 years. we started her on joint supplements (back then it was GLC 1000) and kept her weight under 60 lbs.
She ran, played, jumped and kept up in all ways... we did two opinions-- the first said she would not be walking or possibly not alive by the time she was two. then we went back to our regular vet (he ws on vacation at the time Banks' issued started)... he said, any other breed, yes, she would have a difficult life, but he gave us options and she made it 9 years with supplements, weight and activity management.

Get a second opinion, and since she is young you MIGHT have options before surgery

If not too severe do you recommend laser therapy and Movoflex supplement like you use for your dogs?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
If not too severe do you recommend laser therapy and Movoflex supplement like you use for your dogs?

I would... they both (laser/Movoflex) are working great for Cheli's spine issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk