Cleaning ears

mcraven2

Reaction score
Just wondering how often everyone cleans their frenchies ears? I find myself cleaning Diva's ears less than my two English Bulldog's ears because theirs seems to get gunky and nasty pretty quick compared to Diva's. I probably clean Diva's ears every 3 or 4 weeks and my two EBs every 1 or 2 weeks. Even though I clean Diva's ears less, hers are always the cleanest!

Last edited:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed.... Cheli's ears are cleaner and easier to clean. But, I believe it has to do with the inner ear being open to the air and not rosed or floppy.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Agreed.... Cheli's ears are cleaner and easier to clean. But, I believe it has to do with the inner ear being open to the air and not rosed or floppy.

I agree. Those precious bat ears are gunk resistant.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Air is such a good thing! Two if my bulldogs have floppy ears and they get so yucky!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I only clean Stellas when she gets a bath. Probably once a month. Even then it's just a quick wipe with a cotton ball. Hers are much cleaner compared to my EB!

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
Air is such a good thing! Two if my bulldogs have floppy ears and they get so yucky!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

This is an afterthought ..... interestingly, the only one of my bullies who does not get gunky nasty ears is Daddy .. who has ears that would make Dumbo the Elephant be jealous!!! Big flappy things!!!

Chester

Reaction score
I clean Mr. Chester ears once a week. When he plays a lot in the park then my job goes up two times a week.

Debra

Reaction score
My eb,s are always getting a cleaning, where Junie are hardly ever dirty ! 1 up for the frenchie :)

petitsfilous

Reaction score
Bernie gets his cleaned once every 1-2 weeks with a wet cotton ball. Every fortnight I'll also pop a little Thornit's Canker Powder into each ear to keep any infections or nasties at bay.

Chiana

Reaction score
During Mo's tail pocket infection treatments there were a suspicion that there might be some yeast related general infection caused by the continuous infection in the tail region.
Moses started rub his ears and while at vet, the vet said that Moses has slightly narrower ear channel in his right ear, which he was rubbing more. There were no yeast found, but a lot of wax accumulation.
I got good advices for ear cleaning and how to maintain them clean.

Every couple of weeks, or when needed, Mo's ears are cleaned with moist cotton ball and then dried with a dry one.
Approximately once a month or so we also rinse the ears with a special product. Dog's ear channel turns into a long L-shape tunnel and the rinse will clean the channel that otherwise could not be cleaned.

1. Selecting the ear rinse product
When selecting an appropriate product, there are basically couple of points to consider. If the dog is rubbing his ears actively and there is a suspicion that there might be an infection (which obviously needs a vet visit in any case), it is important to select a product that does not harm the hearing even if the eardrum has been damaged.
Note that there are products available that cannot be used if the ear-drum has been damaged.
Sometimes, like in Mo's case, there were so much wax that the vet could not see the ear-drum.
I always use the product that is safe to use no matter what.

2. Preparing the product
After selecting the rinse, warm the bottle and pour few drops on back of your hand to test the temperature. It should feel slightly warmer than your hand, but not hot!
I normally do this by heating water in a pot and then placing the bottle there for few minutes.
By pre-warming, it will make the cleaning procedure much more comfortable to your dog. Think about pouring cold water in to your ear...

3. Applying the rinse
Squeeze the product in to the ear and hold your dog's head still. There isn't an exact amount how much to pour. You will see when the ear gets "fuller" then there is enough.
Rub around the ear for as long as possible, even 10-20 mins. This allows the rinse to work with the wax.
Let your dog go and he will shake his head to get the stuff out.
Finish by wiping with a dry cotton ball.

Repeat with another ear.

Now you are done and your dog's ears are completely clean :)

Chiana

Reaction score
For example: Here is couple of products that I'm using to clean Mo's ears.

Anivox - the brown bottle, this stuff is more watery and good for general cleaning. This product should not be used if ear-drum has damages.
Cerumaural - the white bottle, this stuff is more greasy and works well if there is more sticky and solid wax in the ear channel. Safe to use even if there are damages in the ear-drum.

ear cleaning.jpg

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Yep, so true, we don't have to clean our Frenchies ears that often, and I usually just wipe them out with an unscented baby wipe. Very seldom do I use an ear cleaner on them.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, so true, we don't have to clean our Frenchies ears that often, and I usually just wipe them out with an unscented baby wipe. Very seldom do I use an ear cleaner on them.

I was literally just wondering the other day if I was supposed to be cleaning Jax's ears or not. I usually will wipe them with a wipe after a bath and he gets them cleaned once a month when he goes to the "spa." He hasn't had any ear problems (knock on wood) so I guess I'm good for now!

cnash

Reaction score
I don't really "clean" Bentley's ears. But after a bath I will stick a cotton ball down there and just wipe it toward the back of the ear. Seems to be doing the job. But I will have his ears checked occasionally to make sure no bad build-up is there.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. Jax doesn't have an ear issue but last time he went to the "spa" they didn't clean his ears and yesterday I was looking in them and down in there, it looks like there is a quite a bit of wax and his ears look dirty. I've never "cleaned" them before so not sure if I should just leave it and let them get cleaned at his next "professional" bath or if I should try to do it myself. If I do it myself, what do I use and how do I do it?

eeturk

Reaction score
I spoke too soon and jinxed myself. Jax doesn't have an ear issue but last time he went to the "spa" they didn't clean his ears and yesterday I was looking in them and down in there, it looks like there is a quite a bit of wax and his ears look dirty. I've never "cleaned" them before so not sure if I should just leave it and let them get cleaned at his next "professional" bath or if I should try to do it myself. If I do it myself, what do I use and how do I do it?

We have stuff from the vet, it's in a blue and white bottle with a squirt top, there's also a great brand on Amazon, the name escapes me but it's got like a million great reviews on there. We warm it up a little bit (test it like you would a baby bottle on your wrist) so it's not such a shock going in. Then you squirt it into their ears and massage all up and down their jawline. Let them shake their head. Then you go in with a cotton ball or pad and get any gunk that has surfaced. Hudson has horrible ear issues so this is a frequent struggle in our house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
We have stuff from the vet, it's in a blue and white bottle with a squirt top, there's also a great brand on Amazon, the name escapes me but it's got like a million great reviews on there. We warm it up a little bit (test it like you would a baby bottle on your wrist) so it's not such a shock going in. Then you squirt it into their ears and massage all up and down their jawline. Let them shake their head. Then you go in with a cotton ball or pad and get any gunk that has surfaced. Hudson has horrible ear issues so this is a frequent struggle in our house!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ordered this stuff: Amazon.com : Zymox Ear Cleanser With Bio-Active Enzymes, 4 oz. : Pet Ear Care Supplies : Pet Supplies.

PugandTwoFrenchies

Reaction score
Every dog is different, I find. I had 2 pugs (so both had floppy ears, of course), and my male's were always dirty. My female? I never have to clean them. Maybe once in a blue moon if I notice her scratching them, but for the most part I never have to. Hers are fine! Who knows... Some dogs just produce more gunk than others. :D