Frenchie pup refusing to walk?

alisatee

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new to this forum and I have a 14 week old brindle Frenchie pup, Butter.

Screen Shot 2017-12-05 at 9.49.46 AM.jpg

He recently completed his third round of his DHPP vaccinations, and I'm super excited to get him outside and start giving him some exercise (he has sooo much energy!). We've gone for a few walks around the neighborhood on which he's been totally fine, but recently, within these past 2 weeks or so, he just refuses to go outside on a walk. I get his harness on him and we head out the door, but after about 5 or so steps, he just sits down and refuses to keep going. It's a shame since we live 2 blocks away from the beach and once I get him there, he starts enjoying it, but just the process of getting down there is sooo painful. I'm not really sure what to do! He has so much energy at home and I want to give him a proper outlet to get that out, but it's become very frustrating dragging him out in the mornings :( He just seems to want to head back home the whole time, even when we're done with our walk and we start heading back up the street towards home, that's when he becomes most energetic and starts running back. He doesn't seem to be afraid of anything outside, so it doesn't seem like it's a fear-based thing. It's just frustrating. Help!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to you and your cutie pie!

What you are experiencing is actually quite common with these guys. He is still young so I would just keep doing what you're doing with bringing him and just do little by little. Both Jax and my bulldog hated going for walks when they were young and now you can't get them to come home!

alisatee

Reaction score
Welcome to you and your cutie pie!

What you are experiencing is actually quite common with these guys. He is still young so I would just keep doing what you're doing with bringing him and just do little by little. Both Jax and my bulldog hated going for walks when they were young and now you can't get them to come home!

Thanks for the encouraging words! :) Good to know that I'm not alone!

mattcantwin

Reaction score
We had the same issue with Loki.

He seemed to just "outgrow" his reluctance to go for a walk; hopefully Butter will, too.

Carbrohux

Reaction score
We have the same happening with our 5 month old. Little by little it's getting better. Very common. I have a baggie of treats in my pocket at all times. We just praise praise praise. Everything seems to go faster with treats lol.

Frenchie Fanatic

Reaction score
Try to find a neighbor dog to walk with you. Your little guy will most likely want to keep up!

This is excellent advice and it works!! (Or you could get another frenchie) :)

When I first started walking Charlie he wanted to be picked up after only walking for a very short distance.
He would start jumping up wanting me to pick him up.
When I brought Sofi with us he felt more secure and the jumping up all but ceased.
As he's gotten a bit older, I can walk him alone. He will still once in awhile jump up, wanting to be picked up.
I try to distract him by making a game out of our walk (this works well in other situations too) and encouraging him. It usually works.
Praise is important when he gets it right.
At almost 10 months, he's getting over it. With frenchies, patience, patience, and some more patience! :)

By the way, Butter is beautiful. Welcome!!

hannah

Reaction score
they are so stubborn. Banksy was the king of this when he was a puppy. just keep trying!