Feeding Amount Question

Babette

Reaction score
Hello Peoples!

I'm pretty strict with Babette's feeding amount. I generally feed her what's recommended on the bag along with occasionally (less than three times a week) bits of other things like cheese or egg. I was wondering if you guys do the same, or if you do more or less? My concern is that she's not highly active outside(a half hour walk will tucker her out pretty good) and once she gets out of the puppy stage (she's almost a year and a half, presently eating adult California Natural Grain Free Kangaroo dog food) she might start to pack on the pounds. Just curious if anyone's noticed their pooch getting a little rollie around the middle while on the recommended feeding guidelines.:confused:

Debra

Reaction score
Junebug gets about 1/2 cup am & 1/2 cup pm. She isn't skinny or fat, just right. Very rarely treats, well she does like some of the birds food once in awhile :evil:

Babette

Reaction score
Lol, the bird's food. Sounds about right! This food is suggesting about a cup and a half which seems like a lot. I guess we'll figure it out through trial and error. Thanks for the info. :)

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Your are a smart cookie, it's good you are paying attention now before it becomes a real challenge to get the weight off. Usually the feeding guidelines are a little high, they want to sell more food! :laugh: also as you stated, it really depends on their activity level and ability to burn off the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Babette

Reaction score
I dropped her food back to 1 and 1/3 cup and that seems to have stopped a sudden increase in accidents she started having - ie pooping like mad all over! Glad I asked and was able to get some advice. Thank you fellow bullie lovers :)

anumb1

Reaction score
My little guy is about 6 months and I currently feed him 3/4 cup, twice a day. Even though he is still a young pup, I stopped feeding him 3 times a day a while ago. Once I did that, I actually increased the amount for breakfast and dinner. Helped get the bathroom schedule down as well!

I walk him for about half and hour as well and he's pretty tired, so I also share your concern about over feeding. I agree with the above statement, the food manufacturer's want to sell more dog food, so I try to feed less than what the bag says.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax is 5 1/2 months and he now eats twice a day. I give him 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. We usually go for a walk every day but he gets tired after a couple blocks as well. We also go in the backyard (when it's not raining) and he runs around. He weighs about 22 pounds which I thought was a lot for his age but the vet said it was fine.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli is eating Fromm Pork and Peas with veggie snacks during the day.... he get 1/2 cup of kibble twice a day

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli is eating Fromm Pork and Peas with veggie snacks during the day.... he get 1/2 cup of kibble twice a day

Cheli is really a good weight too so it must be the perfect amount.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Babette

Reaction score
Think I'll stick with it then. Seems to be working out. :D

Jess M

Reaction score
Mayhem will be 11 months old at the end of this month. He is on Blue Buffalo Basics Turkey and Potato. He gets 1/2 cup twice a day plus home made treats twice a day. He is a solid 22 pounds. :D