Food vs poop comparison

Sally

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone at FBN , my puppy went from 8 poops a day (royal canin bulldog puppy) to 4 poops a day (fromm gold puppy - pink bag) within the three weeks it took me to fully change the food. She is 5 months old, 14.5 lbs and is like clockwork now.
6 a.m. breakfast (1/2 cup) 4 hours later poop... Digests some more... Four and a half hours later poops again.
6p.m. dinner (1/2 cup) 4 hours later poop... Digests some more... Four and a half hours later poop again.
It seems like some ingredients take longer to digest?? Maybe someone can answer this?
The problem is that the second poop always seems to come when no one is home during the day (11-3:30pm) 4.5 hrs. She's in a small bathroom. Or she poops in the middle of the night. (11-5am) 6 hrs. She's in a crate. She does this even when I adjust her feeding time by a couple of hours.
Anyway, can someone who uses dry kibble tell me the following stats about their dog
1) age and weight of their pup
2) food name, amount / time of food. (Hopefully fromm or dry kibble)
3) how often they poop and its timing after feeding.
4) if pup has any allergies environmental or food and at what age you first noticed it at.
I'm trying to figure out the norm and what to expect as she ages as I previously only owned larger dogs and my teen kids get embarrassed when I ask complete strangers at the pet store how their dogs pooping is like.
Thanks yet again.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Sounds like she is doing better. She will get to where she can hold it a little longer especially at night when she gets a little older, still a baby. Coup is 7 months old and he holds his all night now. He usually poops three, sometimes 4 times a day, but usually only three. When your pup gets between 6 to 7 months of age, you can switch to FROMM 4 star grain free adult food. We give Coup 3/4 cups twice a day now. I would say just keep up the good work and she will get better at the poop thing as she gets a little older.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I think it's more a space issue than a pooping issue. She's not going to be motivated to hold it when she's in the bathroom. I can understand you not wanting to crate her the entire day. Is there someone you can hire to walk her in the late afternoon? How big is the crate she is sleeping in at night? She should only have enough room to lay down and turn around. If her crate is small, and she's still having accidents, I'd take her out at night still. With kibble you are just going to have a lot of poop. Especially, when they are young.

Sally

Reaction score
Appreciate the advice. Hoping time will help eventually help me out. As for the crate, I think it's size appropriate cause right after she poops she whimpers more loudly for me to clean it��

Carbrohux

Reaction score
My guy just hit 6 months old he gets Orijen kibble 3xs a day. Poops about 1-2 hrs after every meal, then one more night poo just before bed. We crate all night and he has been able to hold it thru the night since about 4.5 months. What we have noticed is he is always a double pooper. He will poop a tiny bit just to get a treat, then try to go in. Almost always I take him back out and he will finish pooping. Not sure if this is to get treats...or he is just lazy lol. Either way, we watch the size of his movements now to be able to gauge if he is truly done. Is your pup having full movements each time?

Sally

Reaction score
Thanks. I will keep a closer eye but it appears to be enough.