Big dog little body

Reaction score
I really need some advise on my little Frenchie!

I have always grown up with dogs (Border Collies) as my dad had always had them from being little so was his choice of dog. While I adore them and their intelligence I just do not have the time for the amount of exercise they need. I have always LOVED frenchies but have always been living with my parents who didn't want anything but a collie.

Natural to say I moved out of my parents house in Feb and by April I had a little Frenchie!!!! He is amazeballs! So cute and funny! I got him at 5 weeks old which I was very concerned about but seems to be very normal in Spain as I took him straight to the vet and they was happy with everything. He picked up house training so quick I would say first 2 weeks a few accidents then would jump at the door when he needed to go out! Howeverrrrr ... he has recently developed lets say a little attitude maybe? I can be sat watching telly and he will charge up to me and growl and pounce! I have tried what seems like everything from ignoring (he gets louder and more angry) putting him in his crate (cries) lightly smacking his back (gets him more angry and hyper)

I really don't know what to do? It worries me for when my 5 year old niece comes to visit.

HELPPPPP PLEASE????

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
What is his day typically entail? Do you work and he's home most of the day alone? If so, I'd try taking him for a brisk walk or having a fun play session before you start your TV time in the evening. Hard to give advice without more info, but I think if your pup is just waiting and napping all day, or not getting enough stimulation or exercise, that could be causing the problem.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I agree with Frenchie Grrrl. Frenchies don't need as much exercise as a collie but they do still need some.

He also might be trying to be alpha. Are you planning on signing up for training classes? That should help, along with socializing him with other dogs.

Reaction score
What is his day typically entail? Do you work and he's home most of the day alone? If so, I'd try taking him for a brisk walk or having a fun play session before you start your TV time in the evening. Hard to give advice without more info, but I think if your pup is just waiting and napping all day, or not getting enough stimulation or exercise, that could be causing the problem.

Hey, nope I drop him at a doggy day care before work and pick him up after it? So he is quite active all day really.

Don't know why he keeps doing it I try play with a toy to distract him but he doesn't want the toy he just wants to bark at me!

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Hey, nope I drop him at a doggy day care before work and pick him up after it? So he is quite active all day really.

Don't know why he keeps doing it I try play with a toy to distract him but he doesn't want the toy he just wants to bark at me!

Do you allow him on the furniture? Gus will sometimes do this when he wants to be invited up (so I will scoot over and make some space for him) or if he thinks the certain chair/couch is too high and wants assistance getting up.

If he "pounces" on you, will he then settle down and snuggle? Sometimes, if Gus is full of energy, he will fly across the room and land on our chest, instead of "politely" asking, but he will then plop down and chill after.

Reaction score
Do you allow him on the furniture? Gus will sometimes do this when he wants to be invited up (so I will scoot over and make some space for him) or if he thinks the certain chair/couch is too high and wants assistance getting up.

If he "pounces" on you, will he then settle down and snuggle? Sometimes, if Gus is full of energy, he will fly across the room and land on our chest, instead of "politely" asking, but he will then plop down and chill after.

Nope he's not aloud on the sofa so maybe it's that??

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
He was taken away from mom too early and never socialized and learned from mom like he should have been. He is still full of pup, but also getting an attidude trying to find his place in the pack. Sometimes you just need to let them know who is boss. First make sure it isn't just a rough play, as some will do. Even if it's play they need to know when it is too rough. When they get tired they will also act out, just like a child will, so it might be a good time for a nap. Sometimes you jus have to tell him NO!!!! Look him in the eyes and make him know you are the boss. That might be a good time for a rest in his crate. He should grow out of this as he matures and learns his boundaries.

Last edited:

dermich

Reaction score
Agree with David, these dogs often don't learn from a natural pack. Breeders typically don't leave the pups with adults, so they only learn from their peers and this is only till about 10 wks. You have to establish you are the pack leader, this includes letting them know some play is too much, enough is enough, how to be calm, how to wait, leader is first. All are dogs are a little different, but being the pack leader is primary.

Every reply much include, diet, diet, diet... And really question vaccines, many vaccines can change your pups demeanor.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He was taken away from mom too early and never socialized and learned from mom like he should have been. He is still full of pup, but also getting an attidude trying to find his place in the pack. Sometimes you just need to let them know who is boss. First make sure it isn't just a rough play, as some will do. Even if it's play they need to know when it is too rough. When they get tired they will also act out, just like a child will, so it might be a good time for a nap. Sometimes you jus have to tell him NO!!!! Look him in the eyes and make him know you are the boss. That might be a good time for a rest in his crate. He should grow out of this as he matures and learns his boundaries.

Agreed!! Look up 'nothing in life is free '. It is a very easy training technique

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk