Adopted girl randomly pee/poop in house

Visionary44

Reaction score
Hello to all,

I just adopted a 10 month old girl who randomly pees (once pooped) in the house. I've had her for about a week, and when I catch her I immediately say "No", and take her outside, then reward her when she goes outside. The times she's gone in the house is without warning, she will just squat and pee, even after going outside. I adopted her from a family who had 5 other dogs and pretty sure she had free rain of the house. I've gotten her to the point where she knows to go right away when I take her outside, so I know she's learning. She also goes without issue when taking her out every few hours.

Another note, she's in a cage a night and when we leave the house (temporary for transition), and hasn't peed once in it. She seems to be very comfortable with the cage.

My biggest concern is she might have bladder control issues? Anything else I should be doing?

Thank you!

Tgirl

Reaction score
She is still young. You are doing good by keeping her in a crate when you can't watch her. She will eventually get the hang of it. Sounds like you are on the right track. Sometimes it can take a year or more before they are reliably trained.

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
It's a new environment and to be expected. Until you are super confident that she will alert you, I would not give her free reign of the house - just limit her to the rooms that you are in most often. Gus is 9 months old, and doesn't have accidents (unless someone leaves the basement door open or something), but will not get complete reign of the house anytime soon. I'd rather him be successful than free. Right now he has access to the main floor, aside from the formal living room and dining room. I don't allow him unsupervised upstairs or in the basement.

Visionary44

Reaction score
She is still young. You are doing good by keeping her in a crate when you can't watch her. She will eventually get the hang of it. Sounds like you are on the right track. Sometimes it can take a year or more before they are reliably trained.

I forgot to add/ask one thing.....could it be possible she does it for attention? She gets SO much attention, but the last two times she was running around with her little chewabone and everyone was busy, as she came up to me she squatted and went (with her bone in her mouth...lol).

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
I forgot to add/ask one thing.....could it be possible she does it for attention? She gets SO much attention, but the last two times she was running around with her little chewabone and everyone was busy, as she came up to me she squatted and went (with her bone in her mouth...lol).

I don't think so. I think she will be just fine, just needs a little more supervision, or trips out without her asking. It might have been that in that instance that she got busy playing and then REALLY had to go, and came to find you. What are her normal cues to go? We taught Gus to ring some bells. He doesn't bark very loud at all and we'd never hear it from another room, or see him jumping on the door, or whatever.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
If you've only had her for a week, I would definitely give more time for her to get used to her new home and routine. The key to potty training is consistency! If she had bladder issues, I would assume she would go at night in her crate as well.

So keep doing what you're doing and make you praise and give a treat immediately following her going outside where you want her to go.

Visionary44

Reaction score
She really doesn't give a signal, example this morning she was taken out a couple of different times and did pee. About an hour after her last trip out she followed my girlfriend into the bathroom and basically squatted and peed, which is pretty consistent in the other instances, it seems to be random.... Yesterday we didn't have one instance, and again she has never peed in her cage, and for the most part always goes when we take her outside, which she continues to get rewarded each time.

I have noticed that she might pee 2-3 times when I have her out. She'll go right away, then sniff around for a few minutes, then go again, and possibly a third time all in about a 15 minute span of time.

Thank you!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you had her tested for a UTI?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
She is still young, and in a new house. Plus youdon't know if she was even properly house trained from where she came from. Some Frenchies also just take longer to potty train than others. We have a 8 month old who still pees in the house. Hopefully he will grow out of it one day. Just keep up what you are doing and hopefully one day she will get with the program.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

As others have stated... transition to the new home may take a month to get her on a schedule. also, as a guideline, whenever playing as soon as they show signs of slowing own or ready to stop... take them out for a potty. Not to discourage, but it took us two full years to get Cheli trained.... he still to this day never indicates he has to go so, when home we take them out every few hours and have a pet sitter come mid-day for a potty run.

Stay consistent and good luck!!

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
She really doesn't give a signal, example this morning she was taken out a couple of different times and did pee. About an hour after her last trip out she followed my girlfriend into the bathroom and basically squatted and peed, which is pretty consistent in the other instances, it seems to be random.... Yesterday we didn't have one instance, and again she has never peed in her cage, and for the most part always goes when we take her outside, which she continues to get rewarded each time.

I have noticed that she might pee 2-3 times when I have her out. She'll go right away, then sniff around for a few minutes, then go again, and possibly a third time all in about a 15 minute span of time.

Thank you!

I would consider training her to ring bells to go out - if she hasn't already adopted her own signal that you can read (seriously, sometimes staring is a signal in these silly dogs, but that it just too hard for me to read), she needs to be taught one.

When she is out of her crate, I would just take her out to potty every 45 minutes, or so, and immediately upon waking from a nap, or getting her out of her crate, etc. Even though she is 10 mos old, since this is a new environment, and she doesn't have a clear "I gotta go" signal, you need to just treat her like a much younger puppy.

The excessive peeing outside could just be marking. The female dog I had before Gus LOVED to spread her smell around outside, especially on walks. I've never dealt with a UTI in any of my dogs, but that's always a possibility (as I believe someone else mentioned), so keep that at the forefront of your mind as well.

Visionary44

Reaction score
Many thanks to all!! I will keep doing what I'm doing (might add the bell :)), and she has a Vet apt Friday to check on the UTI possibility. I will keep everyone posted on her progress!

Visionary44

Reaction score
UPDATE!!

Well it's been a couple of months and I'm happy to say Harley Quinn has only had a couple of peeing incidents!!! Both times were when I had people over at my house, and she wasn't getting much attention.....So not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, but she has done so well adjusting!!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE!!

Well it's been a couple of months and I'm happy to say Harley Quinn has only had a couple of peeing incidents!!! Both times were when I had people over at my house, and she wasn't getting much attention.....So not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, but she has done so well adjusting!!

Awesome!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Fantastic!