Sudden Shedding

Carbrohux

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
We are dealing with some over the top shedding here. Just the last 2wks or so. Remy just turned 6 months. I use a zoom groom and terminator brush on him. Skin looks great. Nothing else out of the norm. He is our first Frenchie and we have only had him 2 months, so I want to make sure I'm not missing something. Any ideas? IMG_20171222_103923_600.jpg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What a cutie...look at those ears!!

They usually shed twice a year to rid of their winter coat and their summer coat.

What are you currently feeding? Are you giving any coconut oil or salmon oil? If not, I would slowly introduce one or both into his diet as they can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carbrohux

Reaction score
Right now he is on Orijen puppy kibble. No oil as of yet but I could easily introduce it. He is really easy going about everything lol. I wonder if our unusually warm weather his throwing him off causing him to shed early? Normally we have snow during winter, however nada this year!! Thanks for the tips.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Orijen is a great food. And maybe the weather is affecting him but I would definitely try either coconut oil or salmon oil or both. Just make sure you introduce them slowly and only try 1 at a time so in case there is an issue, you will know which one it is. Do you give a probiotic? You can add that in as well.

Carbrohux

Reaction score
No probiotic but we were just talking about it, I've just been trying to do my homework first. Is there one you would recommend?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Sauerkraut, milk kiefer or Herbsmiths Flora.. i think that is the name. @honeysowners

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Sauerkraut, milk kiefer or Herbsmiths Flora.. i think that is the name. @honeysowners

I would recommend dog specific probiotic first if you can get it, eg. Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC or Probiotic Miracle. If not, unpreserved sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store or some supermarkets, milk kefir, or fresh green tripe.

Even better, switch your dog food to frozen raw, dehydrated raw or if you don't like raw, I'm currently using Carna4 duck kibble and really like it.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Could just be blowing his coat. It's a little late, or early, but you never know. Some just shed a lot. I have three light color fawns, and they shed like crazy year round.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Could just be blowing his coat. It's a little late, or early, but you never know. Some just shed a lot. I have three light color fawns, and they shed like crazy year round.

I bet they would shed a lot less if you switched them to raw or dehydrated raw from Fromm Hasen Duckenpfeffer. I have a fawn Frenchie and she shed a lot more before I switched her to dehydrated raw.

Carbrohux

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. We do want to go raw eventually, we just aren't set up for it yet. Plus we didn't want to change anything too fast since we have only had him a few months. We have already had to adjust feeding schedules since our other 2 dogs were free feeders and we can no longer do that with this little piggy around. Everyone is in adjustment period lol, but seem to be doing well.