Nail strengthening

Katlyncorriveau

Reaction score
Bella's nails seem to split more often then not. I've tried to keep and eye on them more recently since she actually got one caught on the ice about a month ago. She ended up with an infection leading to antibiotics and a bootie. She's healed now and doing fine but I continue to see other nails starting to split. I try to trim the edges where they are splitting but worried she's going to catch another one on something else. The Vet had no answers for strengthening nails , I'm curious if anyone has some ideas or know what could help with this problem. Thanks!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
From what I've read:
Frequent trimming, Fish Oil, Biotin 1000mcg twice daily and a high quality diet. What are you feeding your dog?

Katlyncorriveau

Reaction score
I am actually feeding royal canine but from what I’ve been reading it’s not a good quality food but that is what the breeder fed her and actually the vet suggested it being a great brand. After doing some reading we are going to switch her food... the breeder also suggested giving her tums to help with calcium...would that help with her nails

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I am actually feeding royal canine but from what I’ve been reading it’s not a good quality food but that is what the breeder fed her and actually the vet suggested it being a great brand. After doing some reading we are going to switch her food... the breeder also suggested giving her tums to help with calcium...would that help with her nails

Royal canin is a really poor brand. Try switching to frozen raw, dehydrated raw, or if you really like kibble, give Carna4 duck a try, I'm finding it's almost as good as raw.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Welcome.... once you are off the crap RC and one a better high quality food you will see improvements.

Raw is always best
Dehydrated raw (The Honest Kitchen)
Kibbles would be:
Acana
Orijen
Fromm
Earthborn Holistic
Zingnature