Ways to prevent back issues

CarrotTheFrenchie

Reaction score
Aside from not letting your frenchie jump on/off furniture, are there any other things one can do to hopefully prevent or delay any back issues? Like hydrotherapy or acupuncture? Curious to hear from those who's dogs have had issues if any preventative steps might have helped?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
My dog doesn't have issues, but I would say most important preventative is to keep your dog at a healthy weight.

You can also prevent orthopedic issues by neutering your dog some time after 12-14 months when they are fully grown, and use of supplements such as fish oil, coconut oil and turmeric to prevent arthritis. I mix turmeric with coconut oil and Acti-flex 4000 in my dog's meals. The Acti-Flex has glucosamine,msm,hyaluronic acid and chondroitin which are good for preventing arthritis, and bioperine which helps with absorption of turmeric. Or if you don't give a supplement with bioperine you can grind in some fresh pepper to improve absorption of turmeric.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax has IVDD caused by wear and tear.

Things to do is keep healthy weight, minimize jumping on and off furniture and running up and down stairs.

Jax had surgery in July and thankfully we acted quick enough before it got too serious (paralyzed) so now we have stairs for the couch which he probably uses 50% of the time and we always carry him up and down our stairs. I’ve also been doing acupuncture as maintenance once a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tgirl

Reaction score
I agree with everyone. The main things are to keep your dog from jumping on and off furniture (which I am guilty of), and keep them a healthy weight.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Cheli has disc issues as well.... we do monthly cold laser session to keep it managed. But I agree with the gang... healthy weight and where you can limit jumping

CarrotTheFrenchie

Reaction score
How does everyone feel about playing fetch indoors? Especially on hardwood floors? I was told this is a big no no, because if she runs into a wall she could accordion. Yikes. But I'm less worried about that. More worried about the sliding and twisting her body. But she LOVES IT SO MUCH. Fetch is by far her favorite thing. So I'm always torn between wanting to protect her and still wanting her to have some sort of quality of life and enjoying herself

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
How does everyone feel about playing fetch indoors? Especially on hardwood floors? I was told this is a big no no, because if she runs into a wall she could accordion. Yikes. But I'm less worried about that. More worried about the sliding and twisting her body. But she LOVES IT SO MUCH. Fetch is by far her favorite thing. So I'm always torn between wanting to protect her and still wanting her to have some sort of quality of life and enjoying herself

Mine just loves to try to destroy the ball, doesn't really play fetch with it. I don't think a game of fetch is too dangerous though if you don' throw the ball too hard.