8 year old french with herniated disc and now seizures

stephanyg

Reaction score
My 8 year old french bulldog had several seizures 3 days ago. I took him to the vet and we got medication but he seems to be in pain he is crying all night. About 4 years ago he also had surgery for a herniated disc and now after the seizures he is dragging his legs and crying a lot. He seems to be in so much pain. What can or should i do for him? The vet suggested mri, xrays and perhaps another surgery but I just cant afford this 😔 Im a new mother of 2 boys and I just dont know what to do. I dont want to see my dog in anymore pain, this is so horrible 😢

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
For seizures: You could try cannabadiol oil Cannabis For Your Dog: How It Can Help - Dogs Naturally Magazine or get vet to prescribe phenobarbital.

For pain: 1)make sure your bulldog at healthy weight
2) give him turmeric (and ground pepper to get it absorbed) , ginger, coconut oil and salmon oil from capsules mixed in with his food (switch to frozen raw)
3) try herbal supplements such as Movoflex or Acti-flex 4000
4) laser treatments and Adequan injections by vet
If still in pain:
5) Rx's for gabapentin and galliprant by vet

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I hate to say this and be a negative Nancy but if you don't do anything, there is a good chance he will become paralyzed and if he is already dragging his legs, that is not a good sign. My boy was diagnosed with IVDD in July and had surgery to repair a herniated disc in his neck. He is back to normal now but he gets acupuncture every 3-4 weeks as maintenance. And yes, there are drugs and supplements you can give but he may be past that point.

stephanyg

Reaction score
He already has IDVV. Before having these seizures he could barely walk, he would already drag his legs and was unable to run or jump at all. Im just in fear that he is suffering so much and Im unable to help him. I havent slept all night he just cries and cries.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
The most difficult aspect of dog ownership is what to do when the suffering is extreme, my heart goes out to you.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Having a dog with IVDD, I always think what will I do if it comes back and is worse. I love my dog to death but I would never want him to suffer. I think I weigh on quality of life versus quantity of life. I want my dog to be a dog and if he can't do that anymore, what kind of life am I providing. These are just my thoughts.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Having a dog with IVDD, I always think what will I do if it comes back and is worse. I love my dog to death but I would never want him to suffer. I think I weigh on quality of life versus quantity of life. I want my dog to be a dog and if he can't do that anymore, what kind of life am I providing. These are just my thoughts.

I totally agree. Quality of life is most important. I am so sorry Frankie is in pain and you have to deal with this now but you can't let him suffer.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He already has IDVV. Before having these seizures he could barely walk, he would already drag his legs and was unable to run or jump at all. Im just in fear that he is suffering so much and Im unable to help him. I havent slept all night he just cries and cries.

So very sorry this is happening, and sending you all positive thoughts and prayers. Unfortunately, he may be past being able to help without the MRI/Xrays to tell you what has to be done, which is most likely a surgery... try the list os supplements and medicines that Honeys Owners listed... they have all worked for many of us to some level.

Wishing you the best .... hugs to Frankie

stephanyg

Reaction score
On Tuesday February 6th I made the hardest decision of my life thus far. Frankie was an amazing dog. He was my fatboy and I love him so much. He is in a better place now.. Thank you all for your advice and kind words. Frankie fought a strong fight and even tho he is no longer with me he will always be in my heart.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
On Tuesday February 6th I made the hardest decision of my life thus far. Frankie was an amazing dog. He was my fatboy and I love him so much. He is in a better place now.. Thank you all for your advice and kind words. Frankie fought a strong fight and even tho he is no longer with me he will always be in my heart.

So sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score

I'm so sorry. I hate that your heart had to go through that. I was there less than a year ago with my sweet Cavie. My heart goes out to you and whomever else in your life loved Frankie.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

So incredibly sorry for your loss... you did right by your baby .. no harder decision to make. He is at peace, running and playing at the bridge without pain!

Rest In Peace Frankie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score

I am so sorry for your loss, but you did right by your Frankie! :heart: RIP sweet boy.

Frenchie Fanatic

Reaction score

I am so sorry for your loss.

Tgirl

Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss. You made a brave decision for him.

99equine

Reaction score
So sorry for your loss of Frankie. You did the right thing for your precious boy. My heart goes out to you.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
I realize it's been a while, but this may help.

I look at it on occasion in memory of my previous dogs.

ZBFlnsA.jpg

That being said, I still tear up reading it.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I realize it's been a while, but this may help.

I look at it on occasion in memory of my previous dogs.

ZBFlnsA.jpg

That being said, I still tear up reading it.

This is a wonderful graphic. Thanks for sharing. The third from the last panel says it all, in my opinion. I've seen too many dogs scared, confused and left at a shelter to be euthanized. End of life decisions are the hardest part about being a pet parent :-(

olouttt

Reaction score
Only you can evaluate your dog's quality of life but I would encourage you to use CBD for the dog and re-evaluate over time. CBD oil is absolutely non intoxicating but do some research on dosage and start slow.

We gave our dog some commercially available CBD for another illness but I cannot remember the exact dosage or potency but it definitely worked.