No apparent food allergies...

winginit66

Reaction score
Hi all,

Gidget has no apparent food allergies (or any allergies for that matter at this time). I read about the Fromm and other foods that everyone else seems to be feeding and was just wondering if these allergies are a later onset type thing or would be apparent from puppy stage? She currently eats Purina One puppy and a part of a Beneful prepared meal a day. I feel sort of like a heel not feeding her grain free food, but also think hey, if it's not broken don't fix it...

Any input from the group?
Thanks!
~Anne

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I used to feed my Bulldogs Science Diet because that's what the vet. recommended and sold. Also, that was the breeders recommendation.. Years ago, like mid to late 90s a gal that went to peoples houses and took care of pets when they were gone, opened her own pet food store. She was knowledgeable and I went with it her suggestion. Our Bulldog developed hot spots--large patches with no fur. I got him back on Science Diet Lamb and Rice and the hot spots filled back in and never reappeared. Because of that I stuck with SD. Fast forward to 2010 (I think) when I found EBN and actually learned something about dog food and allergies. I had both EBs tested and both dogs were allergic to the first 5 or 6 ingredients in SD. So what I thought wasn't broke actually was. I had to get NVI Ltd. Ingred. for both of them. Turkey for Ruggles and Lamb for Mack. Usually dogs don't get food allergies until they are over 1 year.

Debra

Reaction score
What works for one dog may not work well for another. Dog food has come along way & there are many good ones out there. I am lucky my dogs have never had allergies, I feed them Lamb & Rice.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
They usually should up when they get a little older, and like others have said what works for one may not work the the other. They Purina and Beneful are not great foods, but if your pup is doing well on them then why change. I would give them HardyPet Complete or NuVet Plus to suppliment him. We feed all our bullies FROMM Pork and Peas and they all are doing well on it.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
As otheres have stated... allergies tend to show up around 1-2 yrs of age. Each pup is different so you have base it on your baby. I did do the full blood screen allergy test at age of two so I could have something to base line my babies... turned out they were both allergic to what I was feeding them and it explained all the redness in the face, belly and paws.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
While I don't love Purina and Beneful, it's a personal choice. Like David said, adding a good supplement will help ensure your baby is getting optimal nutrition. Allergies to environment usually don't spawn until after 1 year, but food allergies can develop immediately I think. I've seen some very young bulldogs with major allergy problems at a young age. Usually these pups are from puppy mills or poor breeding practices though.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)