Hyper puppy

Babette

Reaction score
Hello FBN

Babette and I are still having issues with her jumping and being a general bother. I'm working with her the best I can but having a hard time correcting a behavior she doesn't do with me. She's generally pretty good all day but when my husband gets home she acts like she's lost her mind. She starts chasing the cats around the house, won't stop jumping on him and bothering him until she's reprimanded (usually by being put out of the room for a few minutes) and even then resumes her bad behavior when she's allowed back in. When guests come over she constantly jumps on them and nibbles at their fingers, and the other day when we brought her with us to my husband's parent's house she spent the entire time (about 3 hours) trying to force his mom to play with her by jumping at her face and nipping at her fingers. By the time she calmed down it was time to go, and even that didn't last long. I do take her for walks when able but sometimes that's not daily due to the heat and my pregnancy, and my husband just won't do it. I'm really frustrated. I want her to be able to go places with us without being obnoxious or a burden. I'm not sure what to do with her. It doesn't help that when I ask guests to ignore her they won't do it.

Sorry for the ranting! I'm up to my ears in frustration.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you tried a puppy training class? Jax usually gets hyper when people come over but we did a puppy class and one of the things learned is not to jump on people while being greeted. He still jumps a little but not as much.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
That's always the hard thing to do as Frenchies are so excitable and love people so much. The only thing I can think of is put her on a leash and control her that way. When she wants to go crazy, make her sit and when she calms down then someone can pet her. It takes a long time to do this and age helps also. Some Frenchies never really calm down.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
David gave great advice with the leash... it is what we have to do with Cheli. he is 2 yrs old and is still difficult to handle especially with children, he just LOVES them. leash helps to keep him from jumping, it may take months to get this down, but also, it might just be her personality and you will need to always keep her on lead till she settles down.

good luck and please keep us posted

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Good advice has been given. Working with a trainer in puppy manners class is good socialization for Babette, too. And the classes train you. Keeping her on a leash until she settles down is the best way to have control over her jumping up. I had to do that with Buster when my grandkids visited last August. When they would choose to get down on the floor with him rather than him on the couch with them I'd tell the kids it was open season and Buster would play with them like he played with his litter mates--rough and tumble!

Babette

Reaction score
We have done puppy class. I'm wondering if it has something to do with the move. She didn't do this until we moved. I'll try the leash idea. I've done it a few times but she goes buck wild once I take it off (after she's calmed down) Like you said, it will probably just take a while to get it all down. Thank you for the support.