Found a Breeder - Now what?

mhuinker

Reaction score
I am not giving up on the rescue scenario just yet, however, I am ready for my baby! I have been researching breeders somewhat near to me and found one that I feel comfortable with about an hour from me. We have actually already been to her "kennel" and visited with her and her adult dogs (she didn't have any puppies at the time) and it was a nice visit. I told her we would be in touch when we felt we were ready to add a Frenchie to our family. :)

She does not require a deposit to get on her waiting list as I have seen many other breeders do (at least she hasn't asked for one yet, maybe she is waiting for the puppies to arrive)..... not sure yet as I've only begun the process. I've contacted her and told her I would like to be added to her waiting list, but I feel I have other questions for her I should be asking, I'm just not sure what those are.

I would like to reach out to all you wonderful Frenchie owners and especially those who have acquired their Frenchies from a breeder, and get some feedback as to what I can be asking this breeder at this point and later down the road, and any other helpful information you can add...... I'm all ears!!

Thank you everyone in advance! :detective:
:halloween17:

P.S. - I forgot to mention, that this is the first time I have ever been exposed to Frenchies! What a fun time! I was so taken by their cute little ways and all the snorting that I could hardly focus on what the breeder was saying! haha

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to tag [MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION], he may be able to help you with some questions. I was very lucky to have adopted Cheli from our vet

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Yes, unfortunately I am not much help either since we also adopted Margie from our local vet. We were sure to meet the puppy's parents and sibling before adopting her. Some things our vet/breeder did for us was a full set of xrays on the puppy at 12 weeks old to check everything out. This came with fee of the puppy. Not sure if that is standard or something nice our breeder did.

Also we were sure to go over everything regarding the AKC paperwork. Our breeder asked something along the lines if we wanted to breed the puppy or not. At the time we weren't sure, so she left the breeding rights open, that way if we decided to breed with her help and guidance we could. (we have decided not to breed after reading up on the difficulties of breeding ha)

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Look at their kennel and if it is clean and looks like they are taking good care of their Frenchies and it just fells right, that is a plus. Do they give a health guarantee, do they have them checked out by their vet before you pick them up. Do they show their Frenchies and are the sire and or dam a champion. How is their demeanor, are they hyper, most Frenchies are but some are just crazy. How is the sire and dams health, any health problems in their linage. What will they do if your pup has a health problem. Ask for references, ask to talk to their vet to see how healthy their bullies are. If something just doesn't feel right, then go with your gut, it's usually right.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Remember the 2 most important things are health and temperament. You need to make sure that is what the breeders breed for and ask if they track the health of the puppies they have sold. Contact the people they have sold to and ask if they would buy from them again.

Debra

Reaction score
A reputable breeder should be available to you & answer all your questions & concerns are your puppy grows.
Like what was said earlier, if something doesn't seem right, go somewhere else.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Look at their kennel and if it is clean and looks like they are taking good care of their Frenchies and it just fells right, that is a plus. Do they give a health guarantee, do they have them checked out by their vet before you pick them up. Do they show their Frenchies and are the sire and or dam a champion. How is their demeanor, are they hyper, most Frenchies are but some are just crazy. How is the sire and dams health, any health problems in their linage. What will they do if your pup has a health problem. Ask for references, ask to talk to their vet to see how healthy their bullies are. If something just doesn't feel right, then go with your gut, it's usually right.

Thank you David! They actually keep their dogs in their house, she showed us where they sleep. They looked very well cared for! I will ask her several questions once I get them all down on paper. :) They do show their Frenchies and have two champions (one sire, one dam). They seemed pretty excited while we were there, but seemed to calm down after we had been there a while. I thought they were VERY friendly for having met two perfect strangers!

- - - Updated - - -

A reputable breeder should be available to you & answer all your questions & concerns are your puppy grows.
Like what was said earlier, if something doesn't seem right, go somewhere else.

She has been very responsive to all my questions and concerns so far....... hopefully that will continue. :)

mhuinker

Reaction score
Remember the 2 most important things are health and temperament. You need to make sure that is what the breeders breed for and ask if they track the health of the puppies they have sold. Contact the people they have sold to and ask if they would buy from them again.

Thanks Alice, I will ask for references definitely.

Spars

Reaction score
I am looking for the link I used that showed reputable breeders vs puppy mills. I also asked the local BBB about complaints. Checked the AKC for registered breeders. Inquired of the breeder what health guarantee there was (some health issues are strictly breed inherent) What food the puppies were fed. Pictures of where the puppies and mother were housed. A list of references. As well as what Davidh has previously posted.

If you are considering the Breeder route as I did for the money you are putting out. There should be no hesitation in supplying requested information. If there seems or feels like something just isn't right, stop. I am sure I'll think of other things I asked about. Soon as
I do I will post in this thread.

Hope this helps :)

Babette

Reaction score
I am so excited for you! :) Looks like several posters have made good points. Health guarantees and references are wonderful ideas. I would suggest spending time with mommy and daddy if you have the opportunity, just to get a feel for their temperament and how they are around their people. Looks like you're getting close to bringing home your little wiggly ball of snorts and kisses!

mhuinker

Reaction score
I am looking for the link I used that showed reputable breeders vs puppy mills. I also asked the local BBB about complaints. Checked the AKC for registered breeders. Inquired of the breeder what health guarantee there was (some health issues are strictly breed inherent) What food the puppies were fed. Pictures of where the puppies and mother were housed. A list of references. As well as what Davidh has previously posted.

If you are considering the Breeder route as I did for the money you are putting out. There should be no hesitation in supplying requested information. If there seems or feels like something just isn't right, stop. I am sure I'll think of other things I asked about. Soon as
I do I will post in this thread.

Hope this helps :)

Thank you Brian! :) I will check BBB and AKC, I'm pretty sure she is a breeder of merit with the AKC. She is linked to the French Bulldog Club of America and does not breed fad colors, only breed standard (she shows her dogs). She has a 1 year health guarantee. She has told me what food they are on (I forget at the moment). I've seen where the puppies and mother are housed as I've visited her already. She has given me a list of references and also her vet contact info. I have not sensed any hesitation from her for anything I've asked about. :)

You're definately helpful!!!

mhuinker

Reaction score
I am so excited for you! :) Looks like several posters have made good points. Health guarantees and references are wonderful ideas. I would suggest spending time with mommy and daddy if you have the opportunity, just to get a feel for their temperament and how they are around their people. Looks like you're getting close to bringing home your little wiggly ball of snorts and kisses!

Thank you @Babbette (mom) :) I have actually seen the mom and dad in person, we visited her in August. They were extremely EXTREMELY friendly for meeting two perfect strangers!! :)

I can't wait to bring one home and so ready for all the snorts and kisses!!!!!!!!!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=194]mhuinker[/MENTION] Sounds like you have found a good breeder, I would check with their references, but sounds like you will get good news from them. I'm excited for you and hope it works out.

Spars

Reaction score
Thank you Brian! :) I will check BBB and AKC, I'm pretty sure she is a breeder of merit with the AKC. She is linked to the French Bulldog Club of America and does not breed fad colors, only breed standard (she shows her dogs). She has a 1 year health guarantee. She has told me what food they are on (I forget at the moment). I've seen where the puppies and mother are housed as I've visited her already. She has given me a list of references and also her vet contact info. I have not sensed any hesitation from her for anything I've asked about. :)

You're definately helpful!!!

I am glad I can be. Still haven't found the link. It's driving me crazy!