Overweight Puppy?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax will be 6 months old next week. I weighed him yesterday and he is already 27 pounds! To me that sounds like a lot considering a male Frenchie's weight is about 28 pounds and Jax is still a puppy. When we got him in June at around 10 weeks, he weighed 9.5 pounds. He currently eats 2 cups per day (1 cup in the am and 1 cup in the pm). Is he overweight for his age? Should I cut down his food intake? He eats really fast and is still hungry sometimes after eating 1 cup.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Pups are always hungry and will eat till they explode ..... some Frenchies are bigger than others too... but if you can post a picture we may be able to tell better.

Do you give treats or any human food? What are you feeding now?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] - he is eating 2 cups a day of Fromm Chicken A La Veg. If he does get human food, it's just a little bit of carrots. He does get treats but I don't think I overdo it. He always acts like he is starving. His body looks in proportion. I called the vet and they didn't seem to worried but he has an appointment tomorrow for a body assessment to make sure. I was just so shocked when I weighed him and saw 27 pounds! He's such a little butterball! Here a couple pictures from over the weekend but I don't have any side shots.IMAG0249.jpgIMAG0374.jpg

mhuinker

Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any input about the amount of food since I don't own a Frenchie yet..... BUT MAN-O-MAN is he CUUUUUUUUTE!!!!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any input about the amount of food since I don't own a Frenchie yet..... BUT MAN-O-MAN is he CUUUUUUUUTE!!!!

Thanks! I am totally head over heels in love with him!!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the pics, but he doesn't look over weight, even though the normal weight for a Frenchie is 26 to 28 lbs. for a male. If you were going to show him, he could not be over 28 lbs. Cut back a little on his food now that he is getting a little older. Hazel only get 1 cup all day, we split it up, so 1/2 cup twice a day.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
What a cutie! I don't know much about Frenchies, but Buster, my halfie has a taper--he is big around the chest, rib cage behind his front legs, then tapers to more narrow in front of his hind legs.

Debra

Reaction score
I give Junie 1/2 cup 2x day.
He is adorable!!!!!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] - he is eating 2 cups a day of Fromm Chicken A La Veg. If he does get human food, it's just a little bit of carrots. He does get treats but I don't think I overdo it. He always acts like he is starving. His body looks in proportion. I called the vet and they didn't seem to worried but he has an appointment tomorrow for a body assessment to make sure. I was just so shocked when I weighed him and saw 27 pounds! He's such a little butterball! Here a couple pictures from over the weekend but I don't have any side shots.View attachment 892View attachment 893

He does not look overweight.... but as other have suggested and I think might be good, is to cut back a little, maybe drop to 3/4 cup 2x a day and supplement with frozen green beans

🆕 Latest posts