Eating Habits

Dgaffler

Reaction score
We feed Chuckie 1/2 a cup twice a day and he devours it like he hasnt eaten in days, empties the bowl in 30 seconds or less. Is this a normal eating behavior?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
How old is Chuckie? I have been feeding Jax 1 cup twice a day (he will be 6 months next week) and he eats like that as well. He acts like he is starving.

Dgaffler

Reaction score
He is a little over 5 months and weighing in at 15 lbs. I feel like we are underfeeding him but the bag says to feed 1 cup a day for his age and weight.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax is already 27 pounds so I'm not sure if I am overfeeding him. He weighed about 22 pounds at 5 months. I am taking him to the vet today for a "body assessment" to determine if he is overweight or not. I know the standard weight for a male should be 26 - 28 pounds (if he is a show dog, which Jax is not) but 27 pounds seems to be a lot for only being 6 months old. I've also read that some Frenchies are just smaller or larger than others so I'll see what the vet has to say.

winginit66

Reaction score
Gidget INHALES her food! She is regular vacuum cleaner!!! She will be 1 yr Monday 10/7.

Dgaffler

Reaction score
Wow Jax is a big boy! Well... a big boy compared to Chuckie. Glad to hear there are some other vacuum cleaners out there :)

trishkidd24

Reaction score
My Margie is 5 months old and gets 1 1/2 cups total for the day... 3/4 cup in the a morning and 3/4 cup in the afternoon. We are very happy with where she is weight wise. We are underfeeding from what the bag says to feed her. She was seen by our vet two weeks ago and said she though her weight was right about perfect.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
At 5 months old I would feed him about 3/4 cup twice a day, and when he gets close to a year old you can cut back a little to maintain his weight. Hazel is 3 years old and we feed her 1/2 cup twice a day.

Debra

Reaction score
Junie gets 1/2 cup 2x day. She is a very dainty eater & savors every morsel :)

Babette

Reaction score
Babette gets 1/3 cup three times a day and is just over a year old. The vet always compliments us on her weight! Regardless she cleans her bowl in under a minute every time! She's my little bully-hoover. Soon we'll adjust her feeding to 1/2 cup twice daily, I'm just trying to figure out how to do it without breaking her little heart.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Cosette eats a 1/2 cup twice a day like she's hasn't eaten for days.

Spars

Reaction score
Do any of you mix wet and dry for the portion? Or strictly dry? I am picking up the baby next Saturday and was curious about this.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Do any of you mix wet and dry for the portion? Or strictly dry? I am picking up the baby next Saturday and was curious about this.

you can mix if you want, ..... I only do dry kibble, if he needs more moist I add a little bit of water