Chewies...

mhuinker

Reaction score
I was curious what everyone's pups like to chew (bones...etc)..... I'm extremely paranoid about giving them Greenies, rawhides (NO WAY), nylabones. I hear so many differing stories on any of these, I was just wondering if in particular the nylabones are actually ok? I won't give them rawhides, but maybe Greenies, just not sure.....
:confused:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I would be interested in what people think as well. I would never give rawhides, I thought about Greenies but then read that they do not get digested very well. I have given Jax one of those Himalayan dog chews which is made from yak and cow milk. He liked it and it lasted for quite a long time and there were no issues.

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Cosette adores Nylabones ( she has four!) and it really satisfies her. My experience with my first Frenchie is that Greenies messed with her digestive system.
Even my first dog, a greyhound, could not tolerate rawhides.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
We give ours Nylabones and have never had a problem. We do not and will not ever give them Greenies, Raw hides, pigs ears, or bully sticks. Nylabones and Kongs are about it.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I pretty much stick with nylabones here, there is so many types to choose from, and antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mhuinker

Reaction score
We give ours Nylabones and have never had a problem. We do not and will not ever give them Greenies, Raw hides, pigs ears, or bully sticks. Nylabones and Kongs are about it.

Ah, thanks David! I was wondering about bully sticks.

Thanks to everyone, I will definately stick to Nylabones only! :)

Tgirl

Reaction score
I only use nylabones. I'm too paranoid to use anything else.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

mcraven2

Reaction score
Nylabones and antlers here! Antlers are their favorite, and they last a wicked long time!

Debra

Reaction score
The only thing here is "white bones". I get them at Petco, comes in a few different sizes. They can chew on them forever, super hard.
They can choke on greenies. My 1st bulldog I gave him a greenie & he turned in CuJo, I guess he loved it :) No more after that. I have heard antlers are really good

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree with others. And I also give marrow bones from the butcher/meat section (soup bones)

mhuinker

Reaction score
Agree with others. And I also give marrow bones from the butcher/meat section (soup bones)

This may be a dumb question, but I assume you give them marrow bones because they don't splinter?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but I assume you give them marrow bones because they don't splinter?

That is one reason, but they are good fir them and cheap. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Problem...
We were strictly giving Marg Nylabones and then this morning she started throwing up bloody bile and bits of the nylabones :(
What is happening is our bigger pit mix is chewing up the bones when he's bored into little pieces and I'm assuming marg is eating them when he does this. We usually watch them good and I take the pieces away when I see our Pit doing this, but I was cleaning house yesterday and not paying good attention to them...
She is ok now, but was very scary and pitiful..

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem...
We were strictly giving Marg Nylabones and then this morning she started throwing up bloody bile and bits of the nylabones :(
What is happening is our bigger pit mix is chewing up the bones when he's bored into little pieces and I'm assuming marg is eating them when he does this. We usually watch them good and I take the pieces away when I see our Pit doing this, but I was cleaning house yesterday and not paying good attention to them...

Yikes!! So glad she is OK,,,,, very scary

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Problem...

Oh no! There is stronger nylabones (mine can also break off pieces of the soft smaller ones). I'll see if I can post up some pictures later of the ones we use that seem to survive the jaws of terror!

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Thank you! Definitely need suggestions because even though our Frenchie isn't a strong chewer our other two big boys are and they all fit and steal chewers from each other.
We may try soup bones next because I know those are tough. I seen them for sale at the grocery store and they looked like they had some raw meat on them still. Do you boil them till they are cooked and then get the meat off?

petitsfilous

Reaction score
I would never give Bernie raw hide. He has a nylabone but rarely touches it. His favourite is his StagBar (antler) which I now have to replace because he's pretty much gotten to the end of it. :)

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is a couple of nylabones I particularly love! (and so do my bullies :))

31232-1.jpg31238-1.jpg

๐Ÿ†• Latest posts