Hello from Las Vegas

Pinaypy

Reaction score
Lots of great information on the website. I've got 2 frenchies and a boston terrier. We've been having some skin issues with our lighter colored fawn Frenchie...our Mac Daddy. Looking for any help to get him back to normal. Not sure now, if they're allergies (as the vet said) cause he is stinky (and from reading here maybe it's a yeast infection?). They look to be like a mild hive/hot spot all over his body. He's been on atopica for a month and a half but still has the spots. Food, now trying blue buffalo basic salmon. Any suggestions?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello there and welcome! Sorry to hear about your troubles. :(

How long have you been on the new food?

Hot spots are usually caused by food allergies, but can come at high allergy times of year too.

What food was he eating before?

Are you using any medicated shampoo?

Has your vet recommended an allergy test?

Sorry so many questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

mhuinker

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome! Hope you can get Mac comfortable soon! :welcome3:

Pinaypy

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome!

We just started the basic yesterday.

He's always been on blue buffalo. We tried the regular chicken, lamb and salmon. Still gots the spots even he was taking Benadryl twice a day.

The spots that he gets really don't seem to bother him. He doesn't scratch, rub or really anything to show that his uncomfortable but he does lose hair in the places.

He is on a medicated shampoo...I'll have to give you the name later but I believe it was just for the itching.

Vet has said we can do allergy test but not really pushed it. Do you know of any good frenchie vets in my area? Is the allergy testing accurate?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello and :welcome3: to FBN!

Poor Mac Daddy! Sounds like the food definitly is not agreeing with him. How old is he?

Allergy testing is not 100% accuarte, but in my experience with my two English Bulldogs, it gave a great base line level of what to avoid. My girl is highly allergic to chicken and has sensitivity to salman/fish. My boy was extremely allergic to rice.... without the testing, I would have never know what to stay away from. One thing to keep in mind, if he is not yet 2 yrs old, wait on the test as the body is still developing till they are that age.

GOOD luck and please keep us posted

mhuinker

Reaction score
Hello and :welcome3: to FBN!

Poor Mac Daddy! Sounds like the food definitly is not agreeing with him. How old is he?

Allergy testing is not 100% accuarte, but in my experience with my two English Bulldogs, it gave a great base line level of what to avoid. My girl is highly allergic to chicken and has sensitivity to salman/fish. My boy was extremely allergic to rice.... without the testing, I would have never know what to stay away from. One thing to keep in mind, if he is not yet 2 yrs old, wait on the test as the body is still developing till they are that age.

GOOD luck and please keep us posted

Great info! I'm curious, did you just do the testing without them showing any signs of allergies, or were they showing signs they were allergic to these foods and then you did the testing to find out what they were allergic to?

Pinaypy

Reaction score
He just turned 2 in July. I'll have to look around for a vet that does that. Thanks

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great info! I'm curious, did you just do the testing without them showing any signs of allergies, or were they showing signs they were allergic to these foods and then you did the testing to find out what they were allergic to?

No, our boy was always vomitting and had a very red face. We did the bland diet for months (chicken and rice)... when he turned two we did the testing -- he was allergic to rice... it was such a horrible feeling knowing I was giving him what was making him sick, but you do not know. Our girl, would break out in hives or her eyes would swell, and tear stain were horrid, age two hit... chicken, yes her food at the time was chicken based.

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and I hope the new food will help you baby. Keep us posted please.

mhuinker

Reaction score
No, our boy was always vomitting and had a very red face. We did the bland diet for months (chicken and rice)... when he turned two we did the testing -- he was allergic to rice... it was such a horrible feeling knowing I was giving him what was making him sick, but you do not know. Our girl, would break out in hives or her eyes would swell, and tear stain were horrid, age two hit... chicken, yes her food at the time was chicken based.

Awww, poor baby, but there was no way you could know that it was the rice making him sick. :(

Debra

Reaction score
Lots of good advice and support on here. I hope you figure out his issues

mcraven2

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN!! Glad you joined! Lots of good advice already, keep us posted! :)

MamaAndi

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN! I have fed our dogs raw ever since we had a senior English bulldog with allergies. They basically get various raw meats and organ meats instead of kibble (I'd be happy to give you more info if you are interested). The big draw for me was that it helped with the allergies plus the skin and coat looked great (and waaay less poo to deal with, their body uses up most everything and the poo that they do leave just turns to dust)

Spars

Reaction score
Welcome aboard! I hope you will be able to get this all figured out soon. Lots of people here that are extremely helpful.

Debra

Reaction score
Aveeno oatmeal packets( generic works the same) is very soothing, especially in the winter.

winginit66

Reaction score
Allergy testing - done with a blood sample or like human allergy testing (with all of the stick spots?). My ex, who is a vet, says he is having luck w/ the blood testing.