New member - deaf puppy

Miszczak

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

We just purchased a 9 week old female Frenchie pure pup, her name is Helen . She was born stone cold deaf but we think we are up to the challenge of raising her as normal as possible .

Happy to find this site !

Miszczak

Reaction score
Re: New Member here

Thank you for your warm welcome . I will post some photos indeed , hopefully in the correct spot . It was also a cry for help per se although we are not crying . Helen Killer has been a bundle of fun since we first picked her up October 19th . She is settling in nice . We have also in the home , a wonderful mannered 10 year old female Boxer/Pug who is teaching her well.
And a 10 year old cat who has already put Helen in her place gently enough.

What I was in search of here in particular if anyone else on this site has a born deaf per family member that would help us with any questions that may arise whilst raising Helen

One thing I can share that I've noticed is that her peripheral vision is astounding.

Miszczak

Reaction score
20181019_163627.jpg

Attachments

• 20181019_163628.jpg
    20181019_163628.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 215

Miszczak

Reaction score
Re: New Member here

Training Helen with hand gestures is not as much as a chore one would think it is. My wife Corina and I talk about each situation that arises and we try to use that amongst us so Helen is always getting the same directive. For example , when we go for walks we make sure that Freeda who is always excited for walks , catches Helen's attention . Thus getting Helen somewhat excited as well. At that point , we show our fingers walking to her in hopes that she recognizes that symbol. Man does she love to walk. And because she concentrates so much on your feet , at 10 weeks she is an outstanding walker already . Off leash I should add because Freeda is off leash and Helen will also learn the same way to walk, with more attention given also. But because she follows your feet so well as her guide , 90% of the time she is very near your steps .

Frenchie Grrrl

Reaction score
Welcome, Helen sure is a cutie. :)

One of our past dogs lost her hearing as she got older, and I used signs with her. I think only challenges that we ever had were getting her attention when she was out in the yard during the day (at night we'd flick the lights off and on) or when she was in another room barking at something and we wanted her to quit. Only real solution to the second one was to get off our lazy tushes and get her attention. LOL

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Oh my, Helen is adorable! I really love the spot over one eye. We had a deaf dog when I was a child. She did very well. Basically she would come to us whenever we appeared. Whether that was because she thought our presence was to summon her or she just wanted attention, I’m not sure. But it kept her out of trouble. She would also respond to hand gestures. After a period of time I don’t think we dwelled on it much. She acted remarkably like a dog with hearing.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
She is adorable. I'm thrilled to know a special girl like her ended up in the right hands with people who are so devoted to her care :)

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Welcome!

For what it's worth several of our grandchildren had no hearing issues but were taught signing early on; kind of amazing how quickly they caught on...

especially more!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Congratulations! She will learn to watch you for sign language!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Welcome and congratulations on your adorable pup! She already sounds like she's better trained than my 6 year old Frenchie. :D

Miszczak

Reaction score
hc_1540944657757.jpg

Last evening was a monumental event in the pet World at our house with Helen . Reek, offered up a spot on " the chair " beside her , as did Barney the cat later on that same nite . It was the hurdle we were waiting for from those two, accepting Helen into their flock. We are so much counting on them to help us educate Helen and they haven't failed us at all.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 12521

Last evening was a monumental event in the pet World at our house with Helen . Reek, offered up a spot on " the chair " beside her , as did Barney the cat later on that same nite . It was the hurdle we were waiting for from those two, accepting Helen into their flock. We are so much counting on them to help us educate Helen and they haven't failed us at all.

That is great! They will help her along in learning the way of the house

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miszczak

Reaction score
Helen update .

Hi everyone . It's been 6 weeks now since we have brought Helen home and she recently had her premiere local vet visit. Lots of good news there , most notably as she was the runt of the litter is that she has caught her siblings in weight at 7.5 lbs. Finding the proper diet and feeding times has been a challenge but we have settled on what we feed Freeda , we now feed her in smaller portions . All the higher end dry foods ran right through her and we couldn't keep up it seemed picking up or training her at that point .

Thus we have entered our biggest challenge with Helen, to ask to go outside to poop. I am no 2 days in on a timed food given diet , following her around the house when she moves attemping to catch her in the act . There has been times when I missed her actions but showed her soon after . It's much harder trying to show Helen displeasure ad compared to enthusiasm, which she gets I'm sure . But when we tower around her with our hands on our hips , or rubbing our eyes crying like we are sad , I think she feels threatened or feared by our gestures . Stating that , we always if we are both home give the admiration or disdain together and slowly it feels like it's working.

She walks incredibly well with Freeda and often but doesn't too much do her business then either .

This is a photo of one of two of her lairs

20181205_140720.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great progress!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I've always experienced success with a routine feeding/going out to potty schedule. It doesn't take very long at all for all my dogs (past and present) to learn when to expect to be let outside to relieve themselves. For example, feed dog, then let them rest for about 30 minutes, then take outside for potty. The dog learns that after he eats, he has a chance to go potty and will "hold it" until then. My own dog knows that every time I let her out of the crate, she also gets to go outside immediately. She often will beat me downstairs and sit by the door.

Hope you find something that works well for you. Love the updates!

Miszczak

Reaction score
Where does the time go ΒΏ
A mere 6 months ago Helen came into our lives and she is adjusting beautifully. What a pleasant demenaour she has .
On Monday 11 Feb we will take her to the vet and get her fixed

https://youtu.be/jgssmDpxLB0

Here she is today playing in lair number one for 5 minutes. It's a boring video but a quaint dog entertaining herself .

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Where does the time go ΒΏ
A mere 6 months ago Helen came into our lives and she is adjusting beautifully. What a pleasant demenaour she has .
On Monday 11 Feb we will take her to the vet and get her fixed

https://youtu.be/jgssmDpxLB0

Here she is today playing in lair number one for 5 minutes. It's a boring video but a quaint dog entertaining herself .

Lol... true Frenchie behavior... lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Miszczak

Reaction score
Helen made it back to the house today after her Mondays surgery to remove her ovaries. She seems to be fine and hasn't missed much of a beat . Oh to be young. I had a hang nail this morning and barely got out of bed . We had asked the vet to remove the extra baby teeth that hadn't fallen out but he did not . I dont think the front desk relayed our concern on that matter. Now we are wondering if we have to ΒΏ perhaps they will still fall out.

Helen at home in Lair II on Tuesday afternoon

https://youtu.be/YXcsLxkiR-E

Cost of surgery was 512$ Canadian dollars