Paw pad issue!

weflybye

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a 5 month old male French Bulldog named Vinny. Two weeks ago we noticed his back paw pad was swollen and irritated. We took him to our vet and she did a skin scraping and said he had a bacterial infection. She put him on antibiotics (Cefpodoxime 100 mg) for two weeks. Today is day 11 of antibiotics. Since this all started the pad has completely peeled off. Although it is less swollen and no longer looks irritated, it does not look right to us. We sent updated photos today to our vet as well. He never licks at it and he never limps or acts painful. Please if you have any ideas what may be going on with our Vinny, we would appreciate any input! Thank you so much!
Vinny back foot December 4th.jpg

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
It's hard for me to tell but it could be an interdigital cyst or foreign object in the foot pad. You could try soaking the foot in epsom salts or betadine and putting on some antibiotic ointment after, in case it is a cyst.

Try giving your dog some probiotic since he's been on antibiotics for a while, but not at same time as antibiotic, and continue for a week after antibiotic- eg. milk kefir, live raw sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food store, organic unpasteurized goats milk , or a doggie probiotic such as Proviable DC, Probiotic Miracle.

weflybye

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I got Epsom salt and probiotics and also have Zymox ointment. Will start this new plan and hope for improvement! When I do the Epsom salt soak do I rinse his feet after the soak?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I got Epsom salt and probiotics and also have Zymox ointment. Will start this new plan and hope for improvement! When I do the Epsom salt soak do I rinse his feet after the soak?

Doesn't matter if you rinse after, as far as I know. Just dry the foot after the soak and put on some antibiotic ointment.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a 5 month old male French Bulldog named Vinny. Two weeks ago we noticed his back paw pad was swollen and irritated. We took him to our vet and she did a skin scraping and said he had a bacterial infection. She put him on antibiotics (Cefpodoxime 100 mg) for two weeks. Today is day 11 of antibiotics. Since this all started the pad has completely peeled off. Although it is less swollen and no longer looks irritated, it does not look right to us. We sent updated photos today to our vet as well. He never licks at it and he never limps or acts painful. Please if you have any ideas what may be going on with our Vinny, we would appreciate any input! Thank you so much!
View attachment 12612

Just wondering what you are feeding your dog? If it's an interdigital cyst it could be caused by a food allergy.

weflybye

Reaction score
We are feeding Nutro (Feed Clean) Wholesome Essentials.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
We are feeding Nutro (Feed Clean) Wholesome Essentials.

Is it grain free? If it contains grains,chicken,or white potato you may want to switch. You can try a limited ingredient kibble like Earthborne Holistic Venture line, Acana Singles line, or Zignature. Or even try switching to dehydrated raw or frozen raw if there's other signs of allergies like ear infections or licking paws.

weflybye

Reaction score
He is showing no other signs of food allergies. His ears, eyes and skin all look great (and perfect poos). So I am a little hesitant to do a food change since the only issue is the paw. I am going to give the Epsom salt soaks, probioitcs and ointment a week to see if we have some improvement. Thank you for all your help!
WP_20181120_11_41_52_Pro.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
He is showing no other signs of food allergies. His ears, eyes and skin all look great (and perfect poos). So I am a little hesitant to do a food change since the only issue is the paw. I am going to give the Epsom salt soaks, probioitcs and ointment a week to see if we have some improvement. Thank you for all your help!
View attachment 12615

He is adorable!!!!

It looks like it could be a growth of some type? Has the vet responded to the photo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weflybye

Reaction score
Yes, our vet did call after reviewing the photos. She said if we don't see progress soon the next step would be a biopsy. But having said that - after just two days of the Epsom Salt soaks and ointment we believe we already see some improvement. Hoping it continues to improve!!! If things don't clear up soon we may have to have the biopsy but hoping not.

weflybye

Reaction score
Thank you! Day 3 of soaks and ointment and we definitely see an improvement. Much less swelling and the color looks healthier. Fingers crossed we are on the right path!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you! Day 3 of soaks and ointment and we definitely see an improvement. Much less swelling and the color looks healthier. Fingers crossed we are on the right path!

Great news!!! Fingers and paws crossed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
His FAAAAACE. SO cute.

I haven't seen anything that looked like that. Daphne had interdigital cysts when I first brought her home that were awful and only cleared up after I switched her to raw. But it didn't look like the photo you provided. I hope he doesn't need a biopsy and it is resolved soon with the continued soaks.

weflybye

Reaction score
This is a photo taken yesterday. We think there has been some improvement?? We also see now what looks like a possible old puncture (maybe he was bitten by one of his litter mates before we got him??) Or a bug bite? We aren't sure. Does anyone know how long it takes for the actual pad to regrow? Do you think we should still be concerned? We are sending updated photos to our vet and so far she is telling us to give it a little more time before jumping into a biopsy. Thank you again for any input!!
Vinny foot December 6th.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a photo taken yesterday. We think there has been some improvement?? We also see now what looks like a possible old puncture (maybe he was bitten by one of his litter mates before we got him??) Or a bug bite? We aren't sure. Does anyone know how long it takes for the actual pad to regrow? Do you think we should still be concerned? We are sending updated photos to our vet and so far she is telling us to give it a little more time before jumping into a biopsy. Thank you again for any input!!
View attachment 12622

Wow.. it does look better. I have no experience sorry... hope it was an infection from the what looks like a bite or sting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

weflybye

Reaction score
Hi everyone - just wanted to give you an update on Vinny's paw pad! It took lots of time but it is finally growing back the pad and healing (yay!!!). We just continued the daily Douxo (Chlorhexidine wipes) and foot soaks and it did the trick. We are very relieved and wanted to share what worked for us. Thanks so much!

V__8BF6.jpg

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - just wanted to give you an update on Vinny's paw pad! It took lots of time but it is finally growing back the pad and healing (yay!!!). We just continued the daily Douxo (Chlorhexidine wipes) and foot soaks and it did the trick. We are very relieved and wanted to share what worked for us. Thanks so much!

View attachment 12705

Awesome!! It looks great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score

View attachment 12705

What a difference! So glad he's doing well.