Hardest Thing to Teach

MamaAndi

Reaction score
What was/is the hardest thing to teach your frenchie? Of all the dogs I've owned I feel that Stella was probably the hardest to train. Heck, she still is perfecting the art of potty outside ALL the time!

So I am curious to know....what have been or are your training struggles?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
POTTY - was brutal! He is finally getting it at the age of 2. He never messed in his crate, but he would be outside for a period of time, but wait till he was back in the house to actually do anything.

Sit,down and come were all real easy.... Stay, well, he just does not get that concept.

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder if this is a common problem with frenchies??? Or just that you two have been unlucky!!

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I have found that frenchies are a stubborn breed. Stella just now has figured out being potty trained. Any basic commands...nope. She knows what "crate" and "down" mean. She only knows down because she always jumps into our kitchen chairs to have a lookie at whats on the table.

That's terrible but she has the attention span of a gnat and it was hard enough to teach her those two things! Lmao

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
I have found that frenchies are a stubborn breed. Stella just now has figured out being potty trained. Any basic commands...nope. She knows what "crate" and "down" mean. She only knows down because she always jumps into our kitchen chairs to have a lookie at whats on the table.

That's terrible but she has the attention span of a gnat and it was hard enough to teach her those two things! Lmao

Yes .. but look at that adorable little face!!! Who needs tricks when you're that cute!!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster's potty training has been compromised because Ruggles eats Buster's poop. Ruggles has never eaten dog poop before and it grosses me out so I've trained Buster to poop on potty pads in the house. I have a better chance of getting to it before Ruggles. Buster now figures it is okay to pee in the house, too. We've tried adding pineapple and RID to Buster's food. Nothing works. My husband thinks it will stop when Buster gets older.

Buster knows sit and stay, sit involves a treat and stay earns him a good boy!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Buster's potty training has been compromised because Ruggles eats Buster's poop. Ruggles has never eaten dog poop before and it grosses me out so I've trained Buster to poop on potty pads in the house. I have a better chance of getting to it before Ruggles. Buster now figures it is okay to pee in the house, too. We've tried adding pineapple and RID to Buster's food. Nothing works. My husband thinks it will stop when Buster gets older.

Buster knows sit and stay, sit involves a treat and stay earns him a good boy!

I wonder if it would help if you tried changing food or cutting back the amount by a smudge. I know when raising pups if I give them even the slightest amount of too much food it comes out like fresh ground dog food (smells like crazy too!). Maybe less tempting if its a tootsie roll. What is busters poop like?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk :)

Alice Kable

Reaction score
[MENTION=1]bullmama[/MENTION] he does tootsie roll logs. They are firm enough that they don't usually leave much of a mark on the potty pad when I pick them up with toilet paper.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
So in other words its a great snack! Lol I guess that's not very helpful then!! :laugh:

Alice Kable

Reaction score
If Ruggles is still eating Buster's poop in 3 or 4 months I plan to gradually switch Buster to the same food Ruggles eats. A typical morning in our house is I get up at 6am and take Buster out. He pees and poops outside. I pick up the poo. Ruggles is still sleeping in the laundry room so Buster and I get the day going. Usually Buster poops again, inside on a potty pad, within an hour or less. That "job" done, I open the laundry room door so Ruggles can get up and join us. Normally Buster doesn't poop again until after dinner, but sometimes he slips one out in the afternoon. I watch Ruggles when he is trolling for poop and usually beat him to it!

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Trolling for poop.... :laugh:

Kazzy220

Banned
Reaction score
I know it doesn't help ...but my two english bulldogs Bella and Daddy will actually have fights over who gets to eat the kitty poop if Angel happens to have done it in the yard.

Lets just say that NEITHER of them are getting kisses after that!!! :bad:

Babette

Reaction score
I haven't had a lot of issues with Babetty trying to eat poop, but when she does go for it I start feeding her some banana with her food. After a week or so she stops. I'm not sure if that will help if it's a dominance issue, but it's worth a try!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Buster gets banana every morning. We are halfway through the food change to the same that Ruggles eats and still separate them when it is close to Buster's poop time. The only time Ruggles gets poop is if Buster is a little off schedule; for the most part Buster is very regular.

Mammasgotthetreats

Reaction score
Both at 6 months, potty training is difficult. I think my Bruiser gets it. My Cha Cha sure does not. Though, when I come home and give the stearn shriek, "Who pooped?!!!" She walks away in shame. Continues to do it day after day. I do not punish them, I only do big cheer leading sessions and treats for potty/poop outside. We have a doggie door to a porch, so they do have the ability to let themselves out.

"Are you hungry?" They understand
"Treats" they understand
A good morning song- wakes them up, gets them stretching with sleepy eyes and excited for breakfast
"Stop" they understand
"Sit" Cha Cha understands, bruiser does not
"Walk" they understand
"No" they sometimes understand

Debra

Reaction score
It seems like smaller dogs take longer to grasp the housebreaking deal. I have come to conclusion Junie does the best she can, so I must be on my A-gane :pray:
She has made progress, so I give her kudos for that :whew: