So many "little" issues are piling up, is it normal?

Dreamer

Reaction score
Hey all - just wanted to see your thoughts on this stuff. Little Samson is doing really great, fully house trained and is the sweetest dog I have ever known. He's so smart and I love him. Unfortunately it seems like we're hitting every single one of the breed's weak spots so far, just wanted to know if it's a bit of bad luck or if its kinda normal to have such combinations?

First: The allergies. We've got his food allergies nailed down thanks to a saliva test, but he's still getting horribly irritated paws and is currently on monthly Cytopoint until I can get him into a dermatologist to see what we can possibly do about that (I think he may have a carpet allergy?)

Second: He's been getting lil' "spit ups" where sometimes it comes out as a full regurgitation. Mostly clear liquids, not often food. It was really bad over christmas when I took him to meet my family and he was playing and having a blast with my brother's dog - lot of excitement and a lot of little regurgitations to clean up, lol. He's going in for neuter next week, I'm also having the surgeon perform a soft pallet reduction if he needs it as well as the nare widening - hopefully that will help with this issue

Third: His lil knees. At first my primary vet said his left knee was a grade 2, but the surgeon who is doing the neuter/pallete for us said it's definitely a grade 3 and it's both of the knees, not just one. He recommended we fix them before he is 2 years old. I didn't get the impression that he was trying to upsell us, I liked him and he works with bulldogs often.

All of this is manageable and I'm going to make sure I take care of him - I am really glad I got him good pet health insurance on day 1 so hopefully I'm not on my own here to pay for it. I do feel a little overwhelmed sometimes though...

M252Vke.png

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of French Bulldogs!

Yes, these issues are not uncommon. As far as the allergies go, it could be environmental. Jax is allergic to everything green outside and is on Cytopoint as well but will still go after his paws. I like to do iodine paw soaks if they get super red and it usually helps.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, as Citty stated these unfortunately are all not uncommon issue with the breed

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
The allergies are common in some, unfortunately. Hopefully the soft palate surgery will help with the regurgitation, but the knee problem is not that common in well breed Frenchies,

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Thanks for the update on Samson (I had a Boxer named Samson for 12 years - great dog, great name :) )

Let's see....
1. Allergies? Check. Daphne DEFINITELY has environmental allergies and most likely food sensitivities.
2. Regurgitation? Not always. She will burp once after chowing down on all her food but rarely does something come up. I am also thankful she has a "nice airway" and has not needed surgery.
3. Bad knees? Check. My vet also told me Grade 2 in one knee, then my newer vet who supports raw feeding said in her opinion, she has two bad knees and we will "keep an eye on it for now." She suggested we start on glucosamine or some other joint supplements but I need to do more research. It never helped my Boxers in the past much at all, so I'm hoping I come across something else to help her.

You are not alone!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I'd recommend Movoflex ( eggshell membrane ) over glucosamine, or both if your budget allows. I use Actiflex https://www.bigdweb.com/product/acti+flex+solution+32+oz.do as a source of glucosamine , dose for 25-50 pounds is :1 tsp. daily loading dose for 5 days, then ½ tsp. daily maintenance dose.

The saliva test for food allergies is not very accurate, so the best thing to do would be to start with a limited ingredient dog food like Acana Duck and Pear or Earthborn Holistic Venture Rabbit Meal and Pumpkin, then if your dog is doing better, gradually add other proteins or ingredients.

JediYoda

Reaction score
Re: So many "little" issues are piling up, is it normal?

So sorry to hear you and your pup are having a little bit of a tough time! When we brought Yoda home he seemed to have a WIDE RANGE of health issues. We asked our vet to perform an allergy test and we have luckily resolved those issues with changing his food. He was also vomiting (mostly bile) nearly once a week. We corrected this with slightly increasing his food and the times that he ate. He does still occasionally throw up when he’s playing really hard. So I think that’s probably totally normal/common for your pup!

I actually took Luna to the vet today because she’s been limping for several days. My vet discovered one cyst and a few ulcers Between her little toes. She administered an allergy shot and suggested I try soaking her little feet in epsom salt for a few minutes every other day.

- - - Updated - - -

So sorry to hear you and your pup are having a little bit of a tough time! When we brought Yoda home he seemed to have a WIDE RANGE of health issues. We asked our vet to perform an allergy test and we have luckily resolved those issues with changing his food. He was also vomiting (mostly bile) nearly once a week. We corrected this with slightly increasing his food and the times that he ate. He does still occasionally throw up when he’s playing really hard. So I think that’s probably totally normal/common for your pup!

I actually took Luna to the vet today because she’s been limping for several days. My vet discovered one cyst and a few ulcers Between her little toes. She administered an allergy shot and suggested I try soaking her little feet in epsom salt for a few minutes every other day.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Re: So many "little" issues are piling up, is it normal?

- - - Updated - - -

Epsom salts or Betadine soaks ( just add enough to make tea coloured ) are good. You can follow that up with antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin.

Mavis

Reaction score
Hello, it makes my heart sing every time I hear of a new owner who is in love with their frenchie. They really are so special and just the nicest little dogs.

As soon as we got Bambi (as a three-year old retired breeder), we took her in to the vet for a well visit. The vet said she had luxating patellas which were a 2 and 3. I hadn't heard of them before that but did some research and decided to keep an eye on them. She has never had a problem. When she gets up, she will always stretch out her back legs, one at a time. Also, sometimes when she does this, I can hear a slight "click" or crack. Beyond those two minor things, she has been completely fine. I would keep an eye out and see if this manifests in the future, but wouldn't do anything unless it becomes serious. Sometimes I think the solution is worst than the problem.

Good luck and welcome.

Dreamer

Reaction score
he's home from his neuter & nares surgery... they also found he had 'everted saccules' in his airway which they fixed too. Hopefully he will feel a lot better soon :D

qXX1mNO.png
....nicer "cone" we got for him since he has to wear it for 16 days:
5WL80fU.png