Frenchie skin issues

Hannahr0910

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 10 month old male names Harvey. We switched his diet back in December to a limited diet food, 10 ingredients, no chicken or grain due to severe diarrhea and vet recommendation.

We recently fenced in our yard so Harvey could run around freely. He is loving it!!

Yesterday morning I noticed some tear stain/buildup/redness in one of his folds. We bathe him regularly and clean his folds so this was unusual. There was some scabbing and dark discharge. After research, I cleaned well with some water, dried it and applied some neosporin. This morning it looks a bit better.

But then this morning I noticed a circular red spot on his back leg. I have noticed he has been trying to mess with it, but can’t reach due to his roundness lol. I put some neosporin on it as well.

At this point I was freaking out and had my husband lift him up so I could do a proper exam of his body. I found him covered in these little red bumps. I feel terrible! I am hoping it isn’t another food allergy. But know that is possible. The only thing I can say has changed is his exposure to the yard. On Friday (2days ago) he was laying, rolling and loving life in the yard, so maybe he is having a reaction?

Any advice would be appreciated. Our vet is closed until Monday so I am trying to do anything I can to help him until then. Thank you!!!49CC6760-E691-46E0-BE23-E2681A019C13.jpeg7D32C316-57A5-4B95-B919-EE414A0D0793.jpeg1E83ACF0-57D6-4DEF-AFE2-112E22275B11.jpegFA9A987D-7516-4F99-A007-41A47BBF235D.jpeg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What food are you currently feeding? It could very well be from the yard. Jax is allergic to everything green outside and has gotten those little rashes before. I’ve been successful in getting rid of them by wiping with diluted iodine, cleaning with a Chlorohexidine wipe, bathing with Ketohex shampoo and rubbing with coconut oil.

It’s best to figure out the cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Because Harvey has just recently had free access to grass and the timing of the rash my best guess is contact allergy from the grass. I'd keep the apointment and see what the vet says!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 10 month old male names Harvey. We switched his diet back in December to a limited diet food, 10 ingredients, no chicken or grain due to severe diarrhea and vet recommendation.

We recently fenced in our yard so Harvey could run around freely. He is loving it!!

Yesterday morning I noticed some tear stain/buildup/redness in one of his folds. We bathe him regularly and clean his folds so this was unusual. There was some scabbing and dark discharge. After research, I cleaned well with some water, dried it and applied some neosporin. This morning it looks a bit better.

But then this morning I noticed a circular red spot on his back leg. I have noticed he has been trying to mess with it, but can’t reach due to his roundness lol. I put some neosporin on it as well.

At this point I was freaking out and had my husband lift him up so I could do a proper exam of his body. I found him covered in these little red bumps. I feel terrible! I am hoping it isn’t another food allergy. But know that is possible. The only thing I can say has changed is his exposure to the yard. On Friday (2days ago) he was laying, rolling and loving life in the yard, so maybe he is having a reaction?

Any advice would be appreciated. Our vet is closed until Monday so I am trying to do anything I can to help him until then. Thank you!!!View attachment 12809View attachment 12810View attachment 12811View attachment 12812

Belly could definitely be from grass allergies.... but what food are you currently feeding? CItty gave good info for cleaning

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
My guess would be sensitivity to grass, but best to get vet's evaluation. Mine not only looks like your Frenchie in appearance, but will also get the same type of thing on the rare occasion she rolls around or lays in the grass. She eats the same exact food and treats as always, so I kinda know it has to be grass in her case. My dog goes on plenty of walks per day but unfortunately doesn't really get to romp in the grass because of this.