New Frenchie Mommy

kristenhp

Reaction score
Hello! I'm Kristen from Louisiana (yes, a Cajun- that's the FAQ) and on Wednesday of last week, we brought home our first Frenchie, Nola. She is one year old and we bought her from her original breeder. She had been living since a puppy with an elderly woman who could no longer care for her. I read a lot about the breed and once I found this breeder, we knew Nola was perfect for our family.

We have a 3 year old daughter who was recently dx with a rare, incurable disease. She has been on high doses of steroids, chemo and other immune suppression meds that have left her sick, moody and isolated. Long story short, we thought a dog was a great idea. My cousin trains service/therapy dogs and we are hoping Nola will qualify.

I have lots of questions and interest in learning to do the best for her. My first order of business is to change her food. She's on Diamond Naturals now. She wasn't scratching at her previous home but is now. She's also constipated. It hasn't even been a week that she's been with us so maybe that is just stress? I'm not sure.

Thank you for any and all help and advice!

Spars

Reaction score
Hello! I'm Kristen from Louisiana (yes, a Cajun- that's the FAQ) and on Wednesday of last week, we brought home our first Frenchie, Nola. She is one year old and we bought her from her original breeder. She had been living since a puppy with an elderly woman who could no longer care for her. I read a lot about the breed and once I found this breeder, we knew Nola was perfect for our family.

We have a 3 year old daughter who was recently dx with a rare, incurable disease. She has been on high doses of steroids, chemo and other immune suppression meds that have left her sick, moody and isolated. Long story short, we thought a dog was a great idea. My cousin trains service/therapy dogs and we are hoping Nola will qualify.

I have lots of questions and interest in learning to do the best for her. My first order of business is to change her food. She's on Diamond Naturals now. She wasn't scratching at her previous home but is now. She's also constipated. It hasn't even been a week that she's been with us so maybe that is just stress? I'm not sure.

Thank you for any and all help and advice!

Welcome to the board Kristen and Nola!

I know Nola will surely be a help :)

I just brought my baby home so, I can't say for sure on the food being the complete issue. I imagine the new surroundings is a stress for her. Did you transition her food slowly?
This is an AWESOME forum with a ton of friendly and knowledgeable people. I am sure someone will be able to help a little more than I am able to at the moment.

kristenhp

Reaction score
Hi Brian! Thanks for the welcome. I have not begun feeding her anything different yet.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
I had to make a similar choice on switching dog food because I wasn't crazy about what the breeder had her on. Mostly everyone on this page recommend Fromm dog food. There are lots of different flavors so someone might be able to recommend a specific type for a one year old dog (we are currently feeding the puppy type).
I love Fromm so far. We also switched our other dogs and I have noticed softer silky coats! And the price is very reasonable.
Welcome to the forum! Lots of great information on the breed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kristenhp

Reaction score
Hi Trish!

Thank you. I'm buying a small bag of the Fromm chicken (simply because her current type is chicken) to try and transition her off of the other food. Thanks!!

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and can't wait to see pics of your baby. We feed ours FROMM Pork and Peas, and they are doing well on it. Try giving you baby some pumpkin, plain pumpkin, not the pie filling. It will help with the constipation, and so you can give her some when you do the transition too, it will help her tummy. Just a spoonful at feeding time.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Hi Kristen and Nola, welcome to the site! :smileywelcome:

MamaAndi

Reaction score
I love the name Nola, and that's a wonderful idea to train her as a service dog :) My thoughts are with your daughter, I hope Nola finds a special place in her heart! :heart:

Cosette Girl

Reaction score
Welcome, Kristen.
Your daughter and Nola look like they're in love with each other.
What a precious picture.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What a beautiful picture of your two little girls!!!

Hello and :welcome3: to FBN!

beau

Reaction score
You sweet thing. Best wishes to your daughter I know that has to be a heavy load for you. A frenchie is the best!! Mine LOVES our girls and the girls LOVE him. He can't wait to see them get home from school every day and I say "go watch for the girls Beau" and he gets so excited and will sit at the window and wtch looking everywhere until they get there. He plays keep away with them and licks them to death. They are just bestest friends and I know yours will certainly have a positive effect . If you ever need anything please let me know!!

Julie Stevenson

Reaction score
First of all I would like to say how brave a mother you are and I'm saddened by your struggles with your young daughter. I can't imagine how difficult that much be for you. A dog was a wonderful idea for the entire family as Nola will bring lots of laughs and happiness into your home and family. Changing her food is something many people do and should be done over the course of 2-3 weeks time starting with a 25% new to 75% old mix then about 4 days later go to 50/50 and then 4-5 days later switch to 75% new 25% old and then 4 -5 days later change to all new food. YOu can add in canned pumpkin (not pie filling) to the food to to help with loose stools. This board is great for helping so ask away!