Congestion in the morning??

jdibert

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a new Frenchie named Lucy. She is 16 weeks old. In the last few weeks she has started having congestion in the morning after she has slept all night. It sounds like its in her chest but the Vet says her lungs are clear and suspects allergies (pollen is already thick and high here in Florida). X Ray shows no fluid in her lungs either. He seems to think mucus is draining and collecting in her throat.She was just on an antibiotic for UTI so it isn't kennel cough either. She snorts a bit in her sleep and sometimes wakes up in the middle of the night snorting like her nose is stuffed up or reverse sneezing. Sometimes she will throw up a bit of clear or foamy spit in the morning and it seems to clear it out. After she is up and moving for about 20-30 min and the congestion has cleared she is totally fine for the rest of the day. She has no icky stuff coming from her eyes or nose but they have been running clear more the last few weeks. Really since the pollen started being so high. No other issues whatsoever. She does not have any issue with vomiting or keeping down food or water. She will kinda cough every now and again like she is trying to get something up. We have been wiping her down when she comes inside to help with pollen and giving benadryl twice a day. She does have very tight nostrils though.

I panic over every little thing and just wanted to reach out and get others opinions and experiences. I dread that this may be a palate issue already and we will have to have the stenotic and palate surgery, which we kinda expected. However she doesn't really have breathing issues. She plays just fine with no issues. Of course she pants when it's hot out but never acts like she can't breathe. Again, we are only seeing these issues when napping but mostly sleeping at night.

I have tried doing some research and see that I am not the only Frenchie owner with this issue but never really find any reason or answer.

Any insight, experiences or helpful advice?

Thanks so much!
Jeni

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there! I think it could be from teething too
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION] might have insight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pdepierre

Reaction score
We have a 5 month old Frenchie and he snorts like you describe every morning. We live in Michigan and it's still too frozen to be pollen, but in talking to our breeder and our vet it is not uncommon. Our little guy (Frank) also will on occasion gak up some mucus in the morning, and just like you described is usually fine within a half hour of waking up. None of my research has revealed anything to be concerned about - maybe just a Frenchie thing?

james1991

Reaction score
Snoring and the foamy mucus is normal. Have an allergy test done. You can look in their mouth and see the palate sagging or deformed if it was a palate issue. Plus the vet should have seen that. ALL FRENCHIES SNORT AND SNORE!!!! It is normal and nothing to worry about. If the snoring gets sharp fast and deep you are better to check with the vet. Just relax a bit and enjoy the dog !!!! My pup has many allergies and does the same. Snoring sniffing and a bit of mucus . You can’t do much but have the vet test for allergies and medicate then. Even then the snoring will probably stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
They do snore and snort, and sometimes it is worse in the morning, especially around allergy time.

Broadies Nani

Reaction score
Our frenchie Broadie is 9 months old. He also snorts, snores and reverse sneezes quite a bit. Sometimes has the mucus gag reflex and spits it up a bit or just gags. One of the issues we have noticed lately is when he gets excited (somebody visits or comes home) he gets full on anxiety, excited and cannot calm down. Recently he has had it where we cannot calm him down and he appears to have a loud raspy sound of panting. His panting gets so much sometimes it worries me. We have an appointment with the vet coming and of course I'm concerned with him having the pallet issue as well as the stenotic surgery needed. My poor baby sometimes I don't know what to do. I like most of you when showering I put him in the restroom with me and it helps but not much. I also put coconut oil or olive oil on his nose to try to moisten it. He needs to become more social but with this covid we don't have any dog parks open right now and so I think he needs to be around more pets and people to reduce his anxiety. Not sure what to do. We also tried a humidifier which helps a bit but he still has the problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Our frenchie Broadie is 9 months old. He also snorts, snores and reverse sneezes quite a bit. Sometimes has the mucus gag reflex and spits it up a bit or just gags. One of the issues we have noticed lately is when he gets excited (somebody visits or comes home) he gets full on anxiety, excited and cannot calm down. Recently he has had it where we cannot calm him down and he appears to have a loud raspy sound of panting. His panting gets so much sometimes it worries me. We have an appointment with the vet coming and of course I'm concerned with him having the pallet issue as well as the stenotic surgery needed. My poor baby sometimes I don't know what to do. I like most of you when showering I put him in the restroom with me and it helps but not much. I also put coconut oil or olive oil on his nose to try to moisten it. He needs to become more social but with this covid we don't have any dog parks open right now and so I think he needs to be around more pets and people to reduce his anxiety. Not sure what to do. We also tried a humidifier which helps a bit but he still has the problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

does sound alike palate surgery and nares are needed to be evaluated. Keep us posted after the vet appointments

veronika5

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 16 week old male French bulldog who recently began making these strange noises that sounds like he is trying to suck air in. He is actually opening his mouth and making a sucking sound . He does it couple time a minute . He also has been having a wet phlegm like cough after he eats or drinks sometimes . This all began 01/02 and is still happening. He had been to the ER and his regular vet and the antibiotics didn’t help. He was prescribed Temaril P and it seems to help a bit with the breathing and congestion. His X-ray was normal but it’s been 10+ days and it it still happening . Can someone please help !

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a 16 week old male French bulldog who recently began making these strange noises that sounds like he is trying to suck air in. He is actually opening his mouth and making a sucking sound . He does it couple time a minute . He also has been having a wet phlegm like cough after he eats or drinks sometimes . This all began 01/02 and is still happening. He had been to the ER and his regular vet and the antibiotics didn’t help. He was prescribed Temaril P and it seems to help a bit with the breathing and congestion. His X-ray was normal but it’s been 10+ days and it it still happening . Can someone please help !

Can you get video and post here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk