Hi There!!

CassiezDaddy

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Cassie's Daddy. She's my first Frenchie, and I have fallen completely in love with this little cutie!

She's had me now for 3 months, and I think she's the funniest little pup I've ever known. I so look forward to learning from you all, and your experiences with these beautiful dogs. She's had her share of health issues, but from what I'm reading here, the issues she's been having aren't uncommon with the breed. I'll be glad when they're resolved, or at least under control!! No matter, I love this puppy!!

Lee

Cassie.jpg

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Cassie is very cute - welcome! Would love to hear about some of the issues you've been experiencing. Maybe we can help :)

CassiezDaddy

Reaction score
Cassie is very cute - welcome! Would love to hear about some of the issues you've been experiencing. Maybe we can help :)

Thank you for the welcome!!

Well, first thing, she wants to eat everything. Rocks, sticks, leaves, dirt, etc. She swallowed the rubber backing off of a dog tag, which required a scope down the throat. Just today, there were some fairly large chunks of sticks in her stool. And just now as I'm typing this, I caught her chewing on an electrical cord. She has had diarrhea and mucus/blood in her stool ever since she was spayed a week ago. Vet put her on a prescription diet and her diarrhea just won't subside. She's on panacur, metronidazole for those issues. She also wants to eat her poop. It's a lot to correct, and a little overwhelming.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome! She is such a cutie pie!

Wanting to eat everything at that age is completely normal, just keep an eye on her and try to teach the leave it/drop it command. My bulldog just turned 2 and he still eats the bark chips in the backyard and either throws them up or poops them out. I am actually going to remove the bark and replace with something else he won't eat.

james1991

Reaction score
Welcome to the board !!!!! I would love to tell you the eating everything stops but that would be a straight up lie. As they get older it turns more into a curiosity, when they get bored .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CassiezDaddy

Reaction score
Welcome to the board !!!!! I would love to tell you the eating everything stops but that would be a straight up lie. As they get older it turns more into a curiosity, when they get bored .

LOL! Yeah, I kinda figured. For the short term, I'm going to get her a short snout muzzle. I do work on "drop it/leave it", but there are so many sticks/leaves in the yard, I'd be hoarse in 3 minutes. I need to get her in an obedience class as soon as she's all healed up from her spay.

Stuart

Reaction score
LOL! Yeah, I kinda figured. For the short term, I'm going to get her a short snout muzzle. I do work on "drop it/leave it", but there are so many sticks/leaves in the yard, I'd be hoarse in 3 minutes. I need to get her in an obedience class as soon as she's all healed up from her spay.

Our dog will try to grab everything too, but a โ€œheyโ€ or โ€œdrop itโ€ works pretty good now. I walked around with a retractable leash too.

CassiezDaddy

Reaction score
Cassie's getting better, but with so much to get into, it's an ongoing struggle. She'll drop it then immediately pick up the next item.

FroxerMom

Reaction score

Well, first thing, she wants to eat everything. Rocks, sticks, leaves, dirt, etc. She swallowed the rubber backing off of a dog tag, which required a scope down the throat. Just today, there were some fairly large chunks of sticks in her stool. And just now as I'm typing this, I caught her chewing on an electrical cord. She has had diarrhea and mucus/blood in her stool ever since she was spayed a week ago. Vet put her on a prescription diet and her diarrhea just won't subside. She's on panacur, metronidazole for those issues. She also wants to eat her poop. It's a lot to correct, and a little overwhelming.

Sheesh. That's quite a list!! It definitely sounds overwhelming! I agree with what others have already suggested. Teaching the drop it/leave it command and then handing her something she CAN chew right away, would hopefully start working and over time, she should just start seeking out those items/bones/toys she is allowed to have. Having an assortment of appropriate chew toys readily available is recommended. Marrow bones are good (I use them sparingly) but I would stay away from rawhide items.

Maybe her food isn't agreeing with her? Are the medications helping at all? I had to switch mine over to a commercial raw product and her health issues subsided almost immediately. I believe there is some kind of supplement that you can sprinkle on her food which will make her poop taste unappealing (this is a ridiculous thought, right? It should already be unappealing). You could look into that - I'm not sure what it is called. I had a Pug who liked to investigate other dogs' poops when we'd go walking and she also liked to dine from time to time on my cat's turds covered in litter and my vet wasn't overly concerned. It was just super gross to me.

You sound like a really patient Frenchie dad, so Cassie is very lucky to have you in her corner. Keep at it - it'll get better :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
She is a beautiful girl! Welcome to FBN!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
She's beautiful!! Welcome!

These little Frenchies sure to test our patience but they are so worth it.

CassiezDaddy

Reaction score
Sheesh. That's quite a list!! It definitely sounds overwhelming! I agree with what others have already suggested. Teaching the drop it/leave it command and then handing her something she CAN chew right away, would hopefully start working and over time, she should just start seeking out those items/bones/toys she is allowed to have. Having an assortment of appropriate chew toys readily available is recommended. Marrow bones are good (I use them sparingly) but I would stay away from rawhide items.

Maybe her food isn't agreeing with her? Are the medications helping at all? I had to switch mine over to a commercial raw product and her health issues subsided almost immediately. I believe there is some kind of supplement that you can sprinkle on her food which will make her poop taste unappealing (this is a ridiculous thought, right? It should already be unappealing). You could look into that - I'm not sure what it is called. I had a Pug who liked to investigate other dogs' poops when we'd go walking and she also liked to dine from time to time on my cat's turds covered in litter and my vet wasn't overly concerned. It was just super gross to me.

You sound like a really patient Frenchie dad, so Cassie is very lucky to have you in her corner. Keep at it - it'll get better :)

Thank you, I'm definitely trying!! My wife says I'm a great mom, LOL!

I guess I never thought of carrying a chew toy outside on walks/potty time, but I suppose it's worth a shot. I haven't tried Marrow Bones, and I'm already paranoid of rawhide. I've seen the supplements that supposedly change the flavor of poo, but haven't tried them due to the fact that virtually all of the reviews on them say they don't work. I hope to get her diet to a point that she won't see the need, or that she'll at least grow out of it.

Vet thinks stress is the culprit in her poo problems. Since her spay, she wants to run, jump and horse around with her buddies at doggy daycare, but we have her in the house trying to keep her calm and quiet. SHE HATES THAT!! Also, to combat the diarrhea, the vet prescribed Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein. He admits it's not a great food, but that the point is that it's bland enough to hopefully calm her belly/intestines down so that I can get her back on some quality food. My plan is to feed her Instinct Original Salmon, grain free.

- - - Updated - - -

She is a beautiful girl! Welcome to FBN!

Thank you bullymama!!

CassiezDaddy

Reaction score
She's beautiful!! Welcome!

These little Frenchies sure to test our patience but they are so worth it.

Thank you, I fell in love with her instantly!! Yes, I fear she already knows how to control me. But I love every moment of it!

CassiezDaddy

Reaction score

*Pupdate* Cassie's bloody diarrhea has subsided, and stools are firming up nicely!!! I bought a short snouted muzzle to control her stick/leaf/dirt/poo eating habit, and she seems to actually like wearing it, or at least doesn't mind. She gets her stitches out from her spay tomorrow as well!! She will finally be able to go back to her favorite doggy daycare, and my wife and I may get to sleep through the night again soon, lol.

She kinda looks like something off of a horror film.

Cassie_Muzzle.jpg