Female Puppy First Heat

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Hi Everyone....
Well I can't believe it already but our girl just turned 5 months old... So I have been thinking and trying to do research about how to handle her first heat...
First of all I have never owned a female dog, and secondly we have only had males from rescues so they have always been neutered as young as possible for obvious reasons. So this is all brand new to us and don't know much at all.

Does anyone have any advise or a good article to read on a puppy going into their first heat? What should I be prepared for? Do I need to purchase anything for her in advance? How will my 2 neutered male dogs act towards her when this is going on?

Lastly we do not plan on breeding her. We thought about it but decided with lack of time and devotion to breeding it is best to leave it to the professionals (Our breeder/vet was going to allow us to breed under her guidance and mentoring if we wanted to). What is the best age to eventually spay a french bulldog?

Any advice and expertise is well accepted!! We need all of it that we can get...

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
Sorry about the late response. If she has not gone into heat yet, then you can spay her now. But if you want to wait after her first heat then wait about 3 months after her heat before spaying her. There is really nothing you need to do for her. You might want to get some diapers for her to wear, but sometimes they are hard to keep on her. If no diapers then you will want to keep her crated most of the time, or put her in a room without carpet so it will be easier to clean. I would keep the males away from her, even though they are neutered, just to keep them off her. If you have any other questions about this just let us know. I hope this helps.

mhuinker

Reaction score
With our Boxer, we bought her little panties and used a ... ahem.... kotex pad... :blush2: I can't remember if that is what was recommended to us at the time. That was 15 years ago :eek:hmy: and I can't remember that far back.... I've heard, and again, I'm no expert, that it's better for her to go through the first heat..... again, don't take my word for it. Ask your vet. But, yeah, if you are going to let her go through her first heat, then you definitely need to be prepared.

By the way, at what age do Frenchie females get their first heat??

trishkidd24

Reaction score
That is the only reason we may wait to spay her is because I have read that having them go through their first heat can be beneficial. I definitely need to so more research though. Also I read that frenchies can go through their first heat any where from 7-9 months old.
My biggest concern is our males and how they will react. I don't think they have ever been around a female in heat. Not sure if we will be able to keep them separated so we may have to see about spaying her ahead of time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree completely with the above posters. I think males will react the same whether they are fixed or not, and it can be quite stressful for them.

trishkidd24

Reaction score
Well since she is only 5 months old I might see about getting her spayed before hand then. I don't want to cause stress in our house for either or male dogs or her...

Does anyone have any information on whether or not its beneficial to wait till after her first heat to spay? I just want to do whats right for her...

Tgirl

Reaction score
Spaying before their first heat greatly reduces the chance of breast cancer later

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Keeshslow

Reaction score
Hi,
Pixie is my first female dog too, she is 7 months and over the past few weeks her lady bits seem to be quite swollen and are protruding more behind her. She has no redness or inflammation. Could this be a sign that she's coming into heat? Any advise would be really appreciated.

Tgirl

Reaction score
Hi,
Pixie is my first female dog too, she is 7 months and over the past few weeks her lady bits seem to be quite swollen and are protruding more behind her. She has no redness or inflammation. Could this be a sign that she's coming into heat? Any advise would be really appreciated.

It sounds as if she very well could be going into heat.