Deaf Frenchie

Frenchlover

Reaction score
Hi All!

I currently have a 10 month old, deaf, Frenchie. He is absolutely adorable, loving, and very well mannered with other animals and children. We only have one HUGE problem.... It has been extremely hard to potty train him! We have tried giving him treat after treat for going outside, a spray can of air and/or water, continuously putting him outside and waiting till he goes BUT as soon as we take our eyes off of him while he is inside he has an accident. I do not want to keep punishing him as I'm not sure he even understands what he is doing wrong. He can't hear me or my tone of voice so I am not sure he is "getting it". I would love for him to be indoors with his sister but I just don't know if we will ever get to that point! HELP!!!

Attachments

• 0483481F-55A6-43D8-AD87-5D36D4EA4EB7.jpg
    0483481F-55A6-43D8-AD87-5D36D4EA4EB7.jpg
    612 KB · Views: 235

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
What a beautiful boy! There are many threads here on this subject... Frenchies can take a lot of time and patience for potty training. Schedule, patience, consistency, schedule... are keys.

My boy, not deaf, but can ignore with the best of them, took TWO full years to ‘fully get it’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gka

Reaction score
I agree with [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION]. Patience and consistency are the keys. Yuki is deaf and was fully potty trained at 9 months. It was like one day he totally "got it" and started waiting at the back door to go out. I would extremely praise him when he did go potty outside so he would know that is what I wanted from him. Good luck!

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Welcome to FBN!

You have been given some good advice! Good luck, it will happen!

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Loki is trained now, but looking back I remember days we wondered if he would ever get it right.

These guys seem to take their time working the concept out.

Best of luck, he sounds delightful.

Frenchlover

Reaction score
THANKS! We are going to keep trying and not give up hope. We are crossing are figures the "light bulb" will go off and he will just get it.

Miszczak

Reaction score
We also have a deaf Frenchie, at birth. Currently she is 10 months old. I would venture to say she is 95% trained outdoors ability. There are occasions where she will still do naughty inside but that was mostly on rug area or mats which we had around the home. That was corrected again by removing such items. Initially , we used pee pads and then dwindling numerous pads to one or two , then none. The time frame was about 2 months .

I would be very interested in taking your experiences and our experiences with owning a deaf French on a different and more personal level . Whether that be via email or text , we would love to talk to someone who is experiencing the same wonders that we may have . Currently , just this week her behaviour towards our 10 year old grandson ,has mistified us as she has become : agressive: towards him for what we have to believe is no reason at all. But we will correct it.

Anyways , here I am

[email protected]

Hope to hear from you !

Miszczak BoIvin and Helen

PS
We are huge 9ers fans and have been to the new stadium and plan to again in 19/20