Back Issue - Please help!!!

Nicole G

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm so sorry - this is gonna be a long post. A very panicked momma over here!

I woke up two nights ago to a very upset Ella. She was shaking a little and didn't seem quite right. My first thought was rushing her to the vet but it was past midnight and just as I was ready to get her out the door, I thought to take her out to go potty and after that she was her usually happy, bubbly self.

Fast forward to yesterday morning - she seemed alright, so I made her breakfast and put it down for her to eat. She couldn't even get her head down to eat it, and she never ever refuses food. Of course then I started to panic and off to the vet we went. Sure enough, the vet thinks she has a mild case of IVDD or a pulled muscle in her leg/back. She wants her on strict rest (not crate - just kept quiet), and then after a few days we're going to start PT with her. That's not too hard as I work from home and am with her all day so I can baby her to pieces, at least. I've been keeping her on the couch or on a blanket on the floor so she's on a firm surface, and aside from going out to go potty, if she has to be at all mobile she's in her pet stroller.

However, by last night she seemingly stiffened up more and can barely walk without crying. She does have feeling in her feet, as I've gently tickled them a few times and she definitely can feel it. Her back is hunched and she's wobbly on her feet but she can stand by herself, just seems to be in more pain than I'm okay with her being in. The vet prescribed her Rimadyl, but I am really, really concerned about the side effects. Is there any other painkiller or muscle relaxer I can get from the vet that's safer?

Anyway, thank you all and if any of you have any tips for helping IVDD, please feel free to share. I can't believe this is happening to her. I know it's common but she's had such a rough year. :nope:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Jax has IVDD and has had 3 surgeries. I disagree with not doing crate rest. Strict crate rest is definitely needed and she should only come out to potty and eat/drink. No running, no jumping. If she does have IVDD and it is mild enough, strict crate rest and meds can help. However, if the pain become more severe or she cannot walk, you need to get to a vet immediately as quick treatment can make a difference in whether or not she becomes paralyzed. To properly diagnose IVDD and see exactly what disc is the issue, an MRI is needed. If Jax gets a flare up, I don't even bother with the regular vet at this point and go straight to the neurologist as they specialize in these issues and time can be of the essence.

As far as meds go, Gabapentin is a common one prescribed for these issues. Depending on pain, Tramadol or Codeine can be prescribed as well. Unfortunately, any medication will have potential side effects but it beats the alternative of being in pain and suffering.

Personally, if it were me, I would try to get Ella an appointment with a neurologist for an evaluation and better pain meds plus strict crate rest.

Alice Kable

Reaction score
Jax has IVDD and has had 3 surgeries. I disagree with not doing crate rest. Strict crate rest is definitely needed and she should only come out to potty and eat/drink. No running, no jumping. If she does have IVDD and it is mild enough, strict crate rest and meds can help. However, if the pain become more severe or she cannot walk, you need to get to a vet immediately as quick treatment can make a difference in whether or not she becomes paralyzed. To properly diagnose IVDD and see exactly what disc is the issue, an MRI is needed. If Jax gets a flare up, I don't even bother with the regular vet at this point and go straight to the neurologist as they specialize in these issues and time can be of the essence.

As far as meds go, Gabapentin is a common one prescribed for these issues. Depending on pain, Tramadol or Codeine can be prescribed as well. Unfortunately, any medication will have potential side effects but it beats the alternative of being in pain and suffering.

Personally, if it were me, I would try to get Ella an appointment with a neurologist for an evaluation and better pain meds plus strict crate rest.

Great advice. Have your vet get you an appointment with a neurologist right away. When we thought Buster might have IVDD we had our vet get us an appointment at WSU School of Vet. Medicine. He was able to get us in over a month sooner than we could. After a thorough workup they sent Buster to Orthopedics, that was really good news!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
So sorry to hear, pasting this from my vet manual, note it also mentions methocarbamol (Robaxin) , which is a muscle relaxant. It mentions use of prednisone OR NSAID- I would say the NSAID is the safer of the two.

Pain secondary to intervertebral disk rupture with no neurologic deficits: consider nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) at appropriate dose OR tapering course of prednisone (start at 0.5 mg/kg PO q 12 h and decrease by 50% every 5 days) and methocarbamol (20 mg/kg PO q 8 h) for 2 weeks and strict cage confinement for 4 weeks.
Animals that have neurologic deficits should be evaluated with advanced imaging (myelogram, CT, MRI), followed by surgical
decompression if indicated; referral to veterinary surgeon or neurosurgeon is recommended.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I have little experience with this as Chelios’ issue is not severe. We do monthly laser sessions and Movoflex with raw feeding... all those have helped keep his issues minor, for now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=1690]Nicole G[/MENTION] any update?

Nicole G

Reaction score
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION]
thank you all for the advice! I'm so sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I haven't been online much what with all of this. She is actually doing great!

She is back up and around a little (got the go ahead from her vet), and is moving like nothing happened. The vets (we've seen three - I ended up taking her to the large Veterinary hospital that's a few miles away from us. They were able to test for everything there!) seem to all feel that it's actually a pinched nerve. I agreed with you on the whole crate rest thing - however she wasn't okay with that and the vet and I both felt that she could injure herself worse if she thrashed about. So I put together two 3foot areas that I could sit in with her and she spent the last week in there, safe and sound. We started her on Galliprant and have Tramadol/muscle relaxers on hand - hopefully we wont need them. :(

I am still so nervous that she's going to get worse, and that it could be IVDD, but I'm going to start PT with her next week and do everything I can to keep it from getting worse. No more stairs or jumping (at all!) for her! The only time I notice she has a little bit of weakness in her legs is when she goes to pee. She gets a tad bit shaky.

Anyway, thank you all again and I'll keep everyone posted. Also I'm gonna post some new pictures of her - I know everyone loves photos on here!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Great news... good idea to limit stairs and jumping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk