Does a French Bulldog match my life?

Camus

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

Two weeks ago a couple with their French Bulldog walked in the store I work. I have never been that interested in getting a French Bulldog until I saw this one. For some reason I had only seen small Frenchies, almost Pug-like,, but this one was much bigger. I spoke a while with the owners and discovered they got it from a very experienced and highly reputable breeder. I got the contact details and called them up. To my surprise they just had a litter and I was the first to call (they did not put it online yet).

I can get the pup when he’s 10/11 weeks, in about 1.5 month. I want to ask you guys if you think a Frenchie fits my life.

First and foremost; I have had a GSD in the past and had to rehome him after almost two years, it was the worst pain I ever felt, but I could not give him the life he deserved to have due to not being able to match his energy needs. I found the perfect home for him next to the beach. I never want to go through something like that again (this was two years ago), that’s why I’m asking this here.

I am a 30 year old male.I work part-time at the moment, though will probably stop working before I would get the pup due to preparations for school. I will start art school in September. Currently I am looking for an apartment in the city I’m going to study, and for the time being I’m at my parents house. Financially I am more than capable to take care of a dog, even if the worst would happen; I have a substantial savings account.
The max I would have to leave to dog alone would be four hours, but not when he is young of course. If it would happen that it would be longer I will always be able to ask my sisters or mother.

I am a calm person with a very calm lifestyle.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
I think the biggest factor is time alone and a max of four hours does not seem unreasonable.

You appear to have thought this through carefully, have an earnest desire be a deserving Frenchie owner and destiny
has provided a great opportunity for you to obtain a pup.

Good luck and post lots of pictures!

(your Frenchie may have something to say about that very calm lifestyle you got goin' on)

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome and good for you for putting so much thought into this!

Money is definitely a factor and not only the purchase price but everything that comes after the puppy comes home like a high quality diet, vet bills, etc.

Some common issues that can come up with a Frenchie are allergies and spine issues, specifically IVDD which is an incurable degenerative disc disease. Jax has had and has already had 3 surgeries. I have pet insurance which has covered 90% of his claims. I would recommend looking into getting pet insurance if you do get a Frenchie.

4 hours alone is not unreasonable at all. There are also options like dog daycare a few times a month or getting a pet sitter to come to your house to take him/her out for a little break.

Frenchie’s are clown dogs and will always keep you laughing and they are also Velcro dogs and will always want to be with you.

If you do get one, post lots of pictures!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camus

Reaction score
Thank you both of you for your elaborate response!

Haha, yes, he might want to undo some of that calmness and that is perfectly fine. :))

I have take into account all the costs I can have and I already have enough saved might that happen. The breeder has many guarantees about the health of the pups, going as far as stating her dogs do not have breathing issues (this was confirmed by the owner of the Frenchie I saw in the store). I know there’s a plethora of other things they can get.

These are two pictures of the Frenchie I saw in the store and fell in love with. The one I will get has the same color and I think the same parents.

https://imgur.com/R82rIke
https://imgur.com/lUdcKyh

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN... thank you for researching before buying!

I second everything stated by Citty and Matt... they are total clowns and Velcro dogs, will be your shadow. Care is essential and expensive... some doe pet insurance, but we opted to have a credit card only used for dog care.

Chelios also has back issues and goes for monthly laser sessions to keep the inflammation under control.

Pictures of the Frenchie... he is gorgeous, how big is he, weight did they say?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you both of you for your elaborate response!

Haha, yes, he might want to undo some of that calmness and that is perfectly fine. :))

I have take into account all the costs I can have and I already have enough saved might that happen. The breeder has many guarantees about the health of the pups, going as far as stating her dogs do not have breathing issues (this was confirmed by the owner of the Frenchie I saw in the store). I know there’s a plethora of other things they can get.

These are two pictures of the Frenchie I saw in the store and fell in love with. The one I will get has the same color and I think the same parents.

https://imgur.com/R82rIke
https://imgur.com/lUdcKyh

Beautiful Frenchie!!

I will just say the cost of IVDD surgery was close to $9,000 times two and then just over $5,000 for the third surgery so you are fully aware of possible costs to help determine whether or not you would want to get pet insurance. I also pay for monthly acupuncture and laser therapy treatments. That could be a lot to put on a credit card or to pull out from savings. Not trying to be Debbie Downer but having gone through such, I like people to be fully aware of the potential issues and associated costs that could arise as I am seeing more and more IVDD dogs in rescues these days.

Last edited:

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I agree with all the above comments. The dog would definitely fit with your quiet lifestyle as Frenchies rarely bark. However do you really want to tie yourself down with a dog while you are going to school? You're going to feel awful leaving it if you have to be out for long periods, go away etc. since they get so attached to you and you to them. You'll feel like you are leaving your best friend behind. The only time I went away and left my two dogs (English bulldog and French bulldog) with a sitter ended up badly since they fought at the sitter's house when I arrived and I ended up having to rehome the English bulldog because she was the newer one and younger.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
Welcome!! So great that you're thinking this through. It must have been awful giving up your GSD but I'm glad he found a good home.

Frenchies don't need a ton of exercise but they are extremely social pups and love to go on walks. I have a bigger Frenchie, he's 32lbs, and his only health issue is that he has arthritis on his hips (he's 7). Even though I don't have any myself I would recommend pet insurance.

That Frenchie is gorgeous!

Camus

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thank you for the messages and I’m sorry for the late response.
[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION]
The vet prices might differ, I live in The Netherlands, but I will consider an insurance. A friend of mine told me to simply put the money you would normally send to the insurance (around €35,- a month) a side each month and eventually you’ll have a nice saving.
The velcro and clownish part of them is what I adore. The dog I saw in the store was soo funny, even though he didn’t do anything. I think the owner said the weighed 12 kg (around 26,5lbs) and is one year old.
[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION]
Yes.. That’s quite a lot, but something we are all willing to pay for our dogs. I remember paying over a thousand euros without second thought when the vet recommended an exam for my GSD.
[MENTION=2100]Honeys Owners[/MENTION]
I have thought about that, but I am 30 at the moment and will not be living the student lifestyle. Whether I go to school or work, I will still have to leave home. But it’s definitely something to think well about.
[MENTION=902]Squishy Walnuts[/MENTION]
Yes, that was horrible, but necessary. I do regret it a lot, because I miss him everyday. But I also know I could not have done it any different.
I am also a velcro kind of person with pets, so he will go everywhere possible with me :))

Camus

Reaction score
Another question:

I will go next week to the breeder. She told me I can chose between two male pups, as I am the first one. Do you guys have any tips as to how I should do that?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Another question:

I will go next week to the breeder. She told me I can chose between two male pups, as I am the first one. Do you guys have any tips as to how I should do that?

Temperament!! Of course looks will play a part as well. You’ll get to see each of their personalities which is good. Also, sometimes the puppy will choose you!

How old will they be when you visit?

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Let the pups come to you while you monitor their personality... you’ll know the right choice.. a lot of times in this scenario, the pup will let you know

Camus

Reaction score
Looks play a role indeed, but I want to choose the right personality above looks.

Ok, I’m really excited!! I will monitor them and see if one chooses me :D

They will be around six weeks I believe. I can get him at 10/11 weeks.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Looks play a role indeed, but I want to choose the right personality above looks.

Great... keep us posted and post pictures

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score

Take lots of pictures so we can see him too!!

Camus

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I went to see the puppies today and immediately fell in love. It was an easy pick, because it turned out they only had one male pup. The other three were females and they were going to keep one themselves. The male one would be my pick even if I could choose out of all four (I could out of three). I also had the age wrong, as they are close to being eight weeks.

I took some pictures, these are the ones that came out best. He is a blue fawn, but on one of the pictures he looks a bit brownish, which has to do with the lighting/camera.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
OMG... so freakin adorable!!! No the hard part— what do you name him??

Camus

Reaction score
Thank you!! I can’t wait :D

The breeders named him Bowie. I like that name, but will probably pick out another one. Still looking around for one :))

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Stopped by to look at "Bowie's" pictures; he's got the you just gotta' love me Frenchie look down pat.