New Frenchie Owner Needing Advice

williamg

Reaction score
Hey all,
I just got my first Frenchie Saturday. Her name is Lola. She is 3 1/2. Here is the thing. I am more accustomed to Boston Terriers as that is what I have had for many years and so maybe my concerns are for nothing... But she doesn't care anything about playing. Show her a ball or a rope and she just looks at it, smells it and walks away... It is almost like she doesn't know how to play.... Again, maybe that is just the temperament of a Frenchie and if so, I am fine with it. But just want to make sure that it isn't because something is wrong. Like I said, I am used to Bostons and with my last Boston, who we had to put to sleep back in January because of leukemia and heart issues, even after he started getting sick, show him a ball or a rope and he was ready to go..
Thanks for any thoughts you may have. I just want to do what is best for her..

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to FBN.... Where did you get her? Is she a rescue, retired breeder or from a shelter?

Some of these places, can restrict the dogs ability to socialize or learn to play. It might take some time for her to settle in too... maybe a month before you see her real personality

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

williamg

Reaction score
Now that makes sense and I hadn't thought about it at all.. She is a retired breeder. And, to be blunt, I am not sure that she got the best of care with her previous owner... He didn't have any shot records nor could he tell us when she last had heartworm medication... So, she is headed to the vet tomorrow.
Thank you very much 2bullymama... That definitely makes sense to me..

williamg

Reaction score
This is a picture of her.... She is precious... Sooooooo sweet!lola.jpeg

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup...I had the same thoughts as Christine. Depends on where she came from. If she is a retired breeder, it would make sense that she is not necessarily into playing. She may never be but maybe after some time, she will come to love playing.

williamg

Reaction score
Ok... Well, that makes me feel better. I was a little concerned about her because she wasn't playing.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok... Well, that makes me feel better. I was a little concerned about her because she wasn't playing.

Some โ€˜breedersโ€™. And this on might fit that bill.. do not socialize with the mama at all, they are kept in kennels or a spare room and no interaction because they do not want to get attached.

Be consistent and teach her to play.. as I said, give her a good month to settle in.

We are here to help so ask away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

williamg

Reaction score
Some โ€˜breedersโ€™. And this on might fit that bill.. do not socialize with the mama at all, they are kept in kennels or a spare room and no interaction because they do not want to get attached.

Be consistent and teach her to play.. as I said, give her a good month to settle in.

We are here to help so ask away

Thank you very much!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you very much!

She is adorable.... a few things of advice, if you wish to use. Grain free food, and avoid chicken if feeding kibbles. Add a good probiotic.. goats milk , sauerkraut, milk Keizer or green beef tripe... it keeps the gut balanced and strength the immune system. Joint supplement is a good idea too... we use Movoflex, but there are lots of options

williamg

Reaction score
She is adorable.... a few things of advice, if you wish to use. Grain free food, and avoid chicken if feeding kibbles. Add a good probiotic.. goats milk , sauerkraut, milk Keizer or green beef tripe... it keeps the gut balanced and strength the immune system. Joint supplement is a good idea too... we use Movoflex, but there are lots of options

Thank you so much... Out of curiosity, and because of my habit of feeding chicken, is there a specific reason to avoid chicken?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Does she have any signs of allergies such as licking paws, dirty ears ? If so that can be a sign of food or environmental allergies. Chicken tends to be the protein that bulldogs are more allergic to.

My Frenchie loves to play with the Planet Orbee Sol ball, even though she is a rescued breeder as well., https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Dog-Chew-Fetch-Guaranteed-Medium/dp/B00C0LZYO4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sol%2Bball%2Bfor%2Bdogs&qid=1557769635&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

She also loves to chew on a bone, I give her a frozen beef marrow bone once a week.

Make sure you get her checked at a vet for worms , and see if you can find out vaccination history, backyard breeders tend to not receive good vet care.

williamg

Reaction score
Does she have any signs of allergies such as licking paws, dirty ears ? If so that can be a sign of food or environmental allergies. Chicken tends to be the protein that bulldogs are more allergic to.

My Frenchie loves to play with the Planet Orbee Sol ball, even though she is a rescued breeder as well., https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Dog-Chew-Fetch-Guaranteed-Medium/dp/B00C0LZYO4/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=sol%2Bball%2Bfor%2Bdogs&qid=1557769635&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

She also loves to chew on a bone, I give her a frozen beef marrow bone once a week.

Make sure you get her checked at a vet for worms , and see if you can find out vaccination history, backyard breeders tend to not receive good vet care.

Thank you... She is going to the vet tomorrow. Regarding allergies, the only thing I have noticed is that she does tend to sit where she has her back up against something such as the corner of my desk or some other corner and then moves up and down like she is trying to scratch herself for an extended period of time... She will get so caught up in doing so that she doesn't seem to hear me when I call her etc.. So, I am wondering if she has a skin allergy of some sort. It is one of the things I am going to talk to the vet about tomorrow.
As for vaccination records, he didn't have those. So, I intend to talk to the vet about that and let him take whatever course he deems best as far as shots. As for checking for worms. Yes, that is definitely on her agenda for tomorrow...

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much... Out of curiosity, and because of my habit of feeding chicken, is there a specific reason to avoid chicken?

Chicken whether the protein itself or how it is processed seems to be an issue for bulldogs in general .... stay away from and kibble you buy at the vet or at the grocery stores... they are low quality ingredients and not worth the money spent.

High quality kibbles , freeze dried raw or raw food is best

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Lola is really adorable. I bet she is so glad to be with you. I also bet she will come around and show more of her personality soon. Mine took a little bit of time (I got her when she was 1). I'm glad she is headed to the vet soon. Give us an update when you are able!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Thank you... She is going to the vet tomorrow. Regarding allergies, the only thing I have noticed is that she does tend to sit where she has her back up against something such as the corner of my desk or some other corner and then moves up and down like she is trying to scratch herself for an extended period of time... She will get so caught up in doing so that she doesn't seem to hear me when I call her etc.. So, I am wondering if she has a skin allergy of some sort. It is one of the things I am going to talk to the vet about tomorrow.
As for vaccination records, he didn't have those. So, I intend to talk to the vet about that and let him take whatever course he deems best as far as shots. As for checking for worms. Yes, that is definitely on her agenda for tomorrow...

You can get her core vaccine titres done, and avoid getting the core vaccination if they are good. I first got my dog when she was 5 or 6 years old, and didn't know about titres, so I just had her get the core vaccine and rabies vaccine. Rabies shot needs to be every 3 years by law, at least where I live, so she's going for her rabies vaccine again, 3 years after I got her, this July, and I'm not repeating the core vaccine.

williamg

Reaction score
UPDATE::: I took Lola to the vet on Tuesday and found out she is heartworm positive. It about broke my heart. I have started her on the doxycyclin and she goes back on the 17th of next month for the treatment. She also had hook worms and whip worms. I have already given her the meds for those so hopefully that problem is alleviated.
I just don't understand how someone, who professed to love her, could have just let her go in this way. I mean, to give the breeder his due, my vet was astonished that she was heart worm positive. While waiting on the results, he checked her out and said heart and lungs sounded great. But then the results were ready...
Anyway, she is doing good and starting to come around a little.
I want to go back and get her daughter... The breeder is letting her go as well and we really had a tough time deciding between the two but I realize she is probably heart worm positive as well and I don't know if I can stand the finances of having both treated for heart worms at this point.... Still trying to find a way to make that work. I am a freelance web developer so maybe someone will contact me today about a big project!:yes:

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
UPDATE::: I took Lola to the vet on Tuesday and found out she is heartworm positive. It about broke my heart. I have started her on the doxycyclin and she goes back on the 17th of next month for the treatment. She also had hook worms and whip worms. I have already given her the meds for those so hopefully that problem is alleviated.
I just don't understand how someone, who professed to love her, could have just let her go in this way. I mean, to give the breeder his due, my vet was astonished that she was heart worm positive. While waiting on the results, he checked her out and said heart and lungs sounded great. But then the results were ready...
I want to go back and get her daughter... The breeder is letting her go as well and we really had a tough time deciding between the two but I realize she is probably heart worm positive as well and I don't know if I can stand the finances of having both treated for heart worms at this point.... Still trying to find a way to make that work. I am a freelance web developer so maybe someone will contact me today about a big project!:yes:

Oh that is too bad but all are treatable so that is good news! Unfortunately some breeders are all talk and show about "loving" their dogs and treating them like family when in actuality they are just used to breed and make them money. Thank you for taking Lola and giving her a home where she will be loved and well taken care of.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Sad to hear all this, but her future is better thanks having a great new home!

Hugs to her and hopefully she heals up quickly

Honeys Owners

Reaction score

So sorry to hear!!! If the money is an issue then you should ask vet about a much cheaper, but not 100% successful protocol: Give doxycycline for thirty days and the Advantage Multi is given once a month. After ten months the dog can be antigen tested to determine if the heartworm is still present.