Eye Graft - Any insight !? Stressed mom over here

Carlsmom

Reaction score
Hi all,

My little buddy, Banks had a cornea ulcer that was not getting better and was pretty deep according to the vet. He got his first emergency procedure, a corneal graft about ten days ago. We went for our check up on Friday and to my heartbreak, SOMEHOW his stitches came out and the graft was floating in his eye. So again, he had to have his graft re stitched :(. I have no idea how this happened as he’s had his cone on 24-7 and I’ve tried my best to ensure he is not alone while I’m at work etc.

I am sick to my stomach about this as his poor eye is SO sore and looks so rough to me. I know it’s his second surgery in a week so that’s to be somewhat expected... but if anyone has dealt with anything eye related, especially a graft, plz share your experience so I can try and calm down.

Thanks everyone.

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
I don’t have any experience with this particular issue, but I want to wish Carlton well. It can be very difficult watching them endure things that are beyond your ability to control. It sounds like you are doing all that you can, so just hang in there; these little guys can be pretty resilient.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all,

My little buddy, Banks had a cornea ulcer that was not getting better and was pretty deep according to the vet. He got his first emergency procedure, a corneal graft about ten days ago. We went for our check up on Friday and to my heartbreak, SOMEHOW his stitches came out and the graft was floating in his eye. So again, he had to have his graft re stitched :(. I have no idea how this happened as he’s had his cone on 24-7 and I’ve tried my best to ensure he is not alone while I’m at work etc.

I am sick to my stomach about this as his poor eye is SO sore and looks so rough to me. I know it’s his second surgery in a week so that’s to be somewhat expected... but if anyone has dealt with anything eye related, especially a graft, plz share your experience so I can try and calm down.

Thanks everyone.

I also have no experience... sorry he is going through this—- sending lots of positive thoughts and hugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alice Kable

Reaction score
I have no experience with this either. We are sending good vibes for a speedy recovery!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I sadly have had to deal with a few eye surgeries with both Wally my Frenchie and Uma my Boston Terrier so I totally understand your fear.

Wally had a deep ulcer and required surgery last year. His stitches didn't fall out but his eye did look pretty rough for the first week or so. It's completely normal and to be expected. He was in a cone for 2 weeks and when the stitches came out his eye was perfect.

Don't stress out! Just keep him relaxed and away from any chew toys and he'll heal up just fine.