Vomiting after drinking water

Heyman

Reaction score
Our Igor has been vomiting clear mucus like liquid after drinking water. He has been dealing with this for 3 days now. He doesn't vomit if we give him small amounts of liquid, so we cut the amount of water in his bowl and just increased the frequency. What do you guys think? We've been hesitant to bring him to the vet because the last few times we've been there the vet asked us to run multiple tests every time like blood tests and xrays just to find out everything is normal. I know that's good news but it kinda takes toll on our pockets and some tests felt unnecessary.

antbkny

Reaction score
My dog used to do that when he was younger. Especially if he was playing or just very excited. He eventually grew out of it though. Have you tried giving him bottled or filtered water?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine used to do that if he drank too fast or if he had just gotten done playing.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
What kind of bowls do you use? I switched to an elevated bowl for Wally because he would vomit when drinking after playing too hard. He hasn't had an issue since.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Our Igor has been vomiting clear mucus like liquid after drinking water. He has been dealing with this for 3 days now. He doesn't vomit if we give him small amounts of liquid, so we cut the amount of water in his bowl and just increased the frequency. What do you guys think? We've been hesitant to bring him to the vet because the last few times we've been there the vet asked us to run multiple tests every time like blood tests and xrays just to find out everything is normal. I know that's good news but it kinda takes toll on our pockets and some tests felt unnecessary.

Is this after playing or every time he drinks? The team has given great suggestions...

Heyman

Reaction score
[MENTION=2279]antbkny[/MENTION] he's having the same water we drink every which is filtered water.

[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] he's been drinking too fast lately, but he does vomit regardless if he is playing or not.

[MENTION=902]Squishy Walnuts[/MENTION] Good idea, I've been contemplating on getting an elevated bowl for a while. This might be a good reason to get one.

[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] Every time he drinks. Yes, everyone here has been so helpful. This forum is a treasure trove for new parents like me. Googling symptoms has given me nothing but anxiety.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
[MENTION=2279]antbkny[/MENTION] he's having the same water we drink every which is filtered water.

[MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION] he's been drinking too fast lately, but he does vomit regardless if he is playing or not.

[MENTION=902]Squishy Walnuts[/MENTION] Good idea, I've been contemplating on getting an elevated bowl for a while. This might be a good reason to get one.

[MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION] Every time he drinks. Yes, everyone here has been so helpful. This forum is a treasure trove for new parents like me. Googling symptoms has given me nothing but anxiety.

Every time.. try the elevated bowl... also, the water isn’t too cold, is it? My guys will vomit if something is too cold for him, like watermelon or if food is newly thawed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heyman

Reaction score
Every time.. try the elevated bowl... also, the water isn’t too cold, is it? My guys will vomit if something is too cold for him, like watermelon or if food is newly thawed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, I already ordered one. The water we're giving him is room temperature, and we're in a tropical climate so it's far from cold. His vomiting has lessened, but he seems to be thirstier than usual.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I've had some issues with my little dude vomiting as well (he's just over a year old now). He used to do it sometimes after any kind of physical activity, the rougher the activity, the better the chance that he would stop and vomit. We got the "bulldog special" airway surgery done (nares& everted saccules) which helped with the post activity vomits but he would still do it even when he was just chilling a few times a week. It looked almost like acid reflux or something as it was like a "spit up" and sometimes it would come all the way out, sometimes not. My vet came to a similar conclusion and told us to give him a regimen of 5mg of Pepcid twice daily. That actually helped *a lot* and we have very few incidents now. (double check with your vet if that is something you can do before giving your pup any regimen like that though) ...It does sound like your issue isn't totally similar though if it's only happening right after he drinks but I thought I would throw this out there in case it helps at all.

Oskars Keeper

Reaction score
Our pup was drinking fast and shoving his face in so I ended up with one of these bowls and it helped. Another plus was that my moms schnauzer doesn’t drag water all over the house with her beard :p

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LG2X5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- - - Updated - - -

Our pup was drinking fast and shoving his face in so I ended up with one of these bowls and it helped. Another plus was that my moms schnauzer doesn’t drag water all over the house with her beard :p

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LG2X5R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1