Chewing on back feet

Cindylee38

Reaction score
Hi all, I apologize if this topic has already been covered but I couldn't find anything on it in the threads. My almost 8 month old puppy obsessively chews on his back feet. I have taken him tot he vet before and he gave me some medicated wipes to use for him, his folds were irritated at the time as well. On Sunday nigh I put the medicated wipes on his feet to help with possible itching. he woke up at 5:00 am and was throwing up for almost an hour. It was a white foam and I'm wondering if it is from licking his feet after the wipes were applied. It was very scary but once that was over, he seemed fine again.

Anyways...i am wondering if other frenchie's do this constant licking of their feet. What helps soothe them or gets them to stop? I appreciate any advice. I have checked and I don't see anything between his paws that could be irritating him.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
My dog used to lick her front paws from food allergies. When I tried dehydrated raw it got better, but didn't go away until I switched to frozen raw. She also has environmental allergies and I still have to treat her ears to prevent them from getting infected, but she doesn't lick her paws anymore. I avoid chicken products to be safe

I'm wondering if ingredient on the wipe made your dog throw up. You can try diluting some betadine solution in a small tub or kitchen sink to a tea colour, and dipping her affected paws in that for about 10 min a day. Also you can put socks on her paws and tape them on so they don't fall off so she can't lick them.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
My dog used to lick her front paws from food allergies. When I tried dehydrated raw it got better, but didn't go away until I switched to frozen raw. She also has environmental allergies and I still have to treat her ears to prevent them from getting infected, but she doesn't lick her paws anymore. I avoid chicken products to be safe

I'm wondering if ingredient on the wipe made your dog throw up. You can try diluting some betadine solution in a small tub or kitchen sink to a tea colour, and dipping her affected paws in that for about 10 min a day. Also you can put socks on her paws and tape them on so they don't fall off so she can't lick them.

Totally agree...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
I would stay away from the medicated wipes, that could be what made him throw up. Just wash his feet off with plain water on a rag. Does sound like allergies and Benedryl will help with that. one 25mg tablet will do. If the allergies get too bad, as in hives, give him two tablets.

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Antihistamines aren't as effective in dogs as they are in humans, but do help a little. I'd recommend cetirizine (Zyrtec ) since it's non sedating and only has to be given once daily. Usual dose is 10 mg per day. If you switch your dog to a frozen raw dog food and give your dog an antihistamine and he still chews his feet, I'd recommend having your vet inject him with Cyotopoint every 4-6 weeks