Should I buy stock in paper towels? Oh potty where art thou?

Oskars Keeper

Reaction score
Hi all.
My little guy Oskar is our first Frenchie. In the past I’ve owned Schnauzers, and they are very easy to potty train.
Oskar is 3 1/2 months old ( I know he’s still young-ish) and pees in the house a few times a day. Over night he sleeps and holds it like a champ from 9pm to 7:30. So I know he has control. He had a UTI 2 weeks ago, so that set us back as we were down to one accident a day prior to that.

He has his bells which he uses most of the time, but obviously not all the time otherwise this post wouldn’t exist.

Could something be wrong vs him not getting it? He looks guilty when I find the puddles, so I know he knows. He’s a super sweet boy who’s a little too attached to me so that might be part of it. When I’m not home my husband and sitters(for the kids) say he goes outside and inside a lot while I’m gone.

He has a vaccine appointment coming up so I will definitely talk to the vet. I’m just wondering if I’m missing something.

TIA!

mattcantwin

Reaction score
He's still young, be patient and give him time...

and get some more towels.

james1991

Reaction score
Just take him outside more . It took us about three weeks to potty train our dog. When we first got him we started taking him out every 30 mins and slowly cutting it down. But be warned it takes a long time for them to be able to hold it for a long time. We don’t have a dog sitter so our dog is home alone sometimes for 7 hours (I know we are bad but he sleeps all day caught it on camera) he can hold it no problem, but at 3-4 months old I would guess 3-4 hours is max depending on size and water intake . How often is the puppy going out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
He's still young and accidents should be expected at that age plus Frenchies can be stubborn and take longer to potty train than other breeds. Just keep being consistent with taking him out and give praise and/or high value treats when he does go outside.

Oskars Keeper

Reaction score
We take him out a lot. I’d say every hour when he’s up and active. He will pee outside and then come in and ten minutes later pee sometimes.

He was barking at and playing with the cat bed and piddled while barking at it this morning.

I have the patience, and I have heard they are stubborn but so are terriers so I don’t give that too much weight. Plus he’s easily trained so far for commands.

More towels it is! :whew:

Stuart

Reaction score
Our dog took forever too. Now never has issues. Please hang in there. We went through the same thing. Bounty was always in our hands.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
It is amazing your dog can hold it at night until 7:30 in the morning! Mine is 2 and a half years old and she starts banging around loudly in her crate at 5 am on the dot every...single...morning...to go out. Just tryin'to find a positive here ;-)

Nicole G

Reaction score
Definitely keep doing what you're doing! He's young and some Frenchies just take awhile to get it.

When my 3yr old was little I figured out that she'd start to zoom around the house like a madwoman and that would usually mean she needed to go! Once I caught on, I could usually grab her and get her out to the right spot in time. Between that and lots of treats whenever she did "good girl", she was trained by the time she was five or six months.