How Much Should I Really Be Feeding My Puppy?

Lexie C

Reaction score
Hello,

I have ready so many different things on this front. I have a new puppy at home, we got her at 8 weeks old, have had her for 2 weeks and she is now 10 weeks old (at her last vet visit last week she weighted 3.2 lbs and she sees the vet again tomorrow so I will update this post with her new weight tomorrow sometime) and she was being fed the Purina Pro Plan Puppy food (which I know isn't the best) three times a day the amount on the bag (1/2-2/3 cups per day), so I have made the switch successfully to Pet Wants (a local "farm to table" food) to try it out and the serving for a puppy her size is 1/4-1/2 cup per day (again split into 3 meals). I have purchased the Fromm Heartland Puppy food which was what I originally wanted to feed her (the portion size reads 1/2-2/3 cups per day) I just haven't started it yet. If she likes it as much as the Pet Wants I may just stick with the Fromm if not I'm open to suggestions or I may just go with the Pet Wants. Anyway, with all that being said, I find so many things online that say that she should be eating 1.5 cups per day split into 3 meals of 1/2 cup each time, I also read that she should be eating whatever the serving size is per day recommended on the food she is currently eating for her weight and age. My thing is that she seems to be starving all day. She eats all her food per serving in minutes and is always looking for more. Other than wanting/looking for more food she is 100% fine, she doesn't seem underweight to me but she also isn't "chunky" like she was when we got her 2 weeks ago.

How much should I really be feeding her everyday and for how long should I feed her 3 times a day? I just want to be sure that she is getting what she needs. I look forward to hearing from everyone!

P.S. if you want to see pics check out my welcome thread :)

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I haven't personally followed the guidelines on the back of a kibble bag because it is my belief that it isn't necessarily accurate as the company will want you to go through the bag of food faster. There are several members on here that have puppies or have properly bred and raised pups, so I am sure they could chime in with a recommended feeding schedule for your new one.

Generally brands like Fromm, Orijen, and Limited Ingredient Acana, and Honest Kitchen, are recommended here, as well as dehydrated raw and raw grinds. I know others have had success with additional brands but I can't think of them at the moment. I feed mine a commercial raw grind. It keeps her allergy flare ups to a minimum, she destroys the food - there is never anything left, and her poop is so much less than when on a kibble. She poops a small amount two times per day.

Hope you get the info you are looking for :)

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't personally followed the guidelines on the back of a kibble bag because it is my belief that it isn't necessarily accurate as the company will want you to go through the bag of food faster. There are several members on here that have puppies or have properly bred and raised pups, so I am sure they could chime in with a recommended feeding schedule for your new one.

Generally brands like Fromm, Orijen, and Limited Ingredient Acana, and Honest Kitchen, are recommended here, as well as dehydrated raw and raw grinds. I know others have had success with additional brands but I can't think of them at the moment. I feed mine a commercial raw grind. It keeps her allergy flare ups to a minimum, she destroys the food - there is never anything left, and her poop is so much less than when on a kibble. She poops a small amount two times per day.

Hope you get the info you are looking for :)

Another great response of advice!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk