Stomach Noises - Won't Eat - Jelly Like Stool

SteelCityFrenchie

Reaction score
Almost randomly, our French bulldog Winston won't eat.
He gets LOUD, gurgling stomach noises which is then followed by loose, mucusy, jelly like stool.
A few hours after he will eat and then gets stinky gas, way more stinkier than he normally has for a Frenchie.

After consulting three different vets and them chalking it up to irritable bowel syndrome (which I think is a vague and general diagnoses) I'm reaching out to this forum in hopes that this has happened to someone else's Frenchie and they've found a way to solve the problem!

A few notes:
- We don't think it's a food allergy because he can go weeks without it happening and it happens before, not after he eats
- Our poor little buddy has been tested for everything under the sun including pancreatitis, parasites, Adison's dissease, kidney issues, etc...
- We've tried a hydrolyzed protein prescribed food, sprouted bean powder for digestion, and goat's milk
- We really can't find a trend or reason why this is happening but we aren't going to give up on helping him feel better :(

Any help is incredibly appreciated!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Has he been tested for parasites? Giardia can cause mucous in stool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteelCityFrenchie

Reaction score
Thanks for responding,

Yes, unfortunately that is one of the things we've tested for which came back negative.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
Can go weeks without it happening...

Can it be caused by something he’s eaten?

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What are you currently feeding?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
He gets LOUD, gurgling stomach noises which is then followed by loose, mucusy, jelly like stool.
A few hours after he will eat and then gets stinky gas, way more stinkier than he normally has for a Frenchie.

After consulting three different vets and them chalking it up to irritable bowel syndrome (which I think is a vague and general diagnoses) I'm reaching out to this forum in hopes that this has happened to someone else's Frenchie and they've found a way to solve the problem!

A few notes:
- We don't think it's a food allergy because he can go weeks without it happening and it happens before, not after he eats
- Our poor little buddy has been tested for everything under the sun including pancreatitis, parasites, Adison's dissease, kidney issues, etc...
- We've tried a hydrolyzed protein prescribed food, sprouted bean powder for digestion, and goat's milk
- We really can't find a trend or reason why this is happening but we aren't going to give up on helping him feel better :(

I think it's worth treating for parasites even though he was negative, as tests don't always show infection. ie. treat with fenbendazole 50 mg/kg once daily for 5-10days and if that doesn't work metronidazole 10 mg/kg twice daily for 5-7 days.

Also, add some probiotics - either commercial ones like Proviable DC, Probiotic Miracle, or Herbsmith Microflora Plus; or natural ones like live sauerkraut from refrigerator section of health food stores, milk kefir, fermented raw goats milk etc.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Jelly like stool is almost always a sign of parasites... I’m with Honeys owner... treat for them and add a probiotic

james1991

Reaction score
I would agree with treating for parasite Garadia being the biggest thing . Also stop any and all diary products. We had this same issue . Ours was IBS cause by food allergies . For the last year we have feed our pup on insect derived food . Problem solved . If he manages to eat a piece of cheese or bread he gets instant jelly like loose stool

LittleMonsters

Reaction score

A few notes:

I know exactly what you're talking about! Don't lose hope! Our Ripley was going through the same thing, about once every 10-14 days, she'd get really loud "borborygmus" or stomach gurgling, then she'd refuse to eat and she'd have horrible diarrhea, sometimes bright green/yellow but usually purple-grey jelly (which means there's blood the stool). Usually it would clear up on its own after 24-36 hours but a few times we had to have her hospitalized as it would just sort of snowball. Our vet did the same thing, tried changing her diet to hydrolyzed protein, even tried a vegan diet with no animal proteins, as well as live probiotics, it helped a tiny bit but she was still having these episodes a few times a month, they were just a little less severe.

Finally what has solved it has been a daily dose of Tylosin. For the first two months, we did two 100mg capsules a day (at meal time) and last month we dropped it down to just one capsule a day in the morning without any issues. We are eventually going to try and take her off it but we want to give her at least 6 months without any episodes first. So far we've been nearly 4 months without any problems (she had maybe one or two smaller episodes right at the start of the therapy but since then, nothing!). She eats a mono-protein diet (horse and potato) and absolutely no table scraps, treats, etc. Even when she wasn't having her "episodes", she never was a good eater - now she eats regularly and the amazing thing is that she poops 3-4 times a day regularly (in the past, even when she didn't have diarrhea, her poops were always infrequent and very weird) - now she has perfect firm poops, never seen her have such good BMs! :) Sorry maybe TMI but we're ecstatic about it!

This solution was actually proposed to me by my friend who is a veterinarian in the US (we live in Italy), she said it is pretty standard treatment for any dogs with suspected IBD that hasn't been resolved with diet changes alone, before doing an intestinal biopsy, which is what my Italian vet wanted to do and I was weary. I'm so glad we tried it because honestly she's a completely different dog. She probably also has some underlying malabsorption issues, because she's skinny even though she eats more calories than she technically needs, but for now we are taking our victory and we'll see if later on down the road we want to do more invasive testing to see if we can't help her put on a kilo or two.

So I'd recommend proposing this to your veterinarian and giving it a shot - it worked miracles on our girl. It was horrible to see her go through that at least 3 times a month and as soon as we would hear those stomach noises our hearts would drop like "Oh no, here it comes again...." I feel your pain!

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I know exactly what you're talking about! Don't lose hope! Our Ripley was going through the same thing, about once every 10-14 days, she'd get really loud "borborygmus" or stomach gurgling, then she'd refuse to eat and she'd have horrible diarrhea, sometimes bright green/yellow but usually purple-grey jelly (which means there's blood the stool). Usually it would clear up on its own after 24-36 hours but a few times we had to have her hospitalized as it would just sort of snowball. Our vet did the same thing, tried changing her diet to hydrolyzed protein, even tried a vegan diet with no animal proteins, as well as live probiotics, it helped a tiny bit but she was still having these episodes a few times a month, they were just a little less severe.

Finally what has solved it has been a daily dose of Tylosin. For the first two months, we did two 100mg capsules a day (at meal time) and last month we dropped it down to just one capsule a day in the morning without any issues. We are eventually going to try and take her off it but we want to give her at least 6 months without any episodes first. So far we've been nearly 4 months without any problems (she had maybe one or two smaller episodes right at the start of the therapy but since then, nothing!). She eats a mono-protein diet (horse and potato) and absolutely no table scraps, treats, etc. Even when she wasn't having her "episodes", she never was a good eater - now she eats regularly and the amazing thing is that she poops 3-4 times a day regularly (in the past, even when she didn't have diarrhea, her poops were always infrequent and very weird) - now she has perfect firm poops, never seen her have such good BMs! :) Sorry maybe TMI but we're ecstatic about it!

This solution was actually proposed to me by my friend who is a veterinarian in the US (we live in Italy), she said it is pretty standard treatment for any dogs with suspected IBD that hasn't been resolved with diet changes alone, before doing an intestinal biopsy, which is what my Italian vet wanted to do and I was weary. I'm so glad we tried it because honestly she's a completely different dog. She probably also has some underlying malabsorption issues, because she's skinny even though she eats more calories than she technically needs, but for now we are taking our victory and we'll see if later on down the road we want to do more invasive testing to see if we can't help her put on a kilo or two.

So I'd recommend proposing this to your veterinarian and giving it a shot - it worked miracles on our girl. It was horrible to see her go through that at least 3 times a month and as soon as we would hear those stomach noises our hearts would drop like "Oh no, here it comes again...." I feel your pain!

Good point about the tylosin - it's good for undiagnosed disease, but I personally would try fenbendazole and then metronidazole before going on long term tylosin.

Another possibility in bulldogs is histiocytic colitis in which the treatment of choice is enrofloxacin alone at 5 mg/kg/day for 6-8 weeks. There's just so many reasons for diarrhea.