Has anyone ever done Board and Train?

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I'm pretty discouraged at this point. I have put so much time and energy into trying to reverse the unwanted behaviors Daphne came to me with (lunging/pulling/aggression on leash and barking non-stop inside the home). Unfortunately we've encountered numerous setbacks mainly because so many people have unleashed dogs that they allow to just run up to approach us on our walks and it truly has undone any progress I may have made with her ( and I DID make some - she was able to see a dog across the street and not react previously ). I am seriously considering doing a "Board and Train Boot Camp." There is a training company near me that comes highly recommended on Nextdoor. A few people have used this guy and rave about the results. You basically give the dog to him for however many days you think it will take, and he supposedly brings the dog back new and improved. I read all about it on his website today and he gets the dog into a new routine (Daphne loves routine) and takes her to practice at parks, vet office, restaurants, pet stores, etc...

Has anyone done this with their dog in the past? Is it lazy on my part expecting this trainer to do all the work and return a new Daphne to me? I obviously know I have to keep up with what ever training and commands she learns or I might as well flush money directly down the drain. I am honestly exhausted. I am a prisoner in my own home - I have to look over my shoulder every time we go out for a walk and we have to walk because we don't have a fenced yard. We can't bring her out in public anywhere. We have to call ahead to the vet and tell them we are on the way because she has to come in when the lobby is clear. We haven't traveled anywhere since getting her almost two years ago because I can't board her and haven't found anyone who can stay in our home for pet sitting. Have I mentioned I'm exhausted?

Let me know your experiences or thoughts. Thanks

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I'm no expert on training, but would recommend trying a Martingale collar based on reading what other experts on the site have said. I have tried Rover.com where you can board your dog 1 on 1 with someone privately while you go on vacation.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I did a board and train with my bulldog because he started losing his mind anytime came to the house. He was gone for 5 days. He was supposed to do 7 but he came home early. She showed me techniques to use to train him. He still isn’t perfect when people come over but I now know how to handle the situation. I do have to use a pinch collar with him when we have guests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baer Rios

Reaction score
from what I 've read on training, a good training is going to cost you a few thousand dollars. Make sure to visit a few places and ask questions on how they train. I watch Larry Krohn on youtube . A very honest dog trainer that has videos on how to select a dog trainer. I would say that you frenchie could use the advance training. Go watch larry krohn and see what you think.

mattcantwin

Reaction score
We had two Doberman’s, purchased about two years apart.

Each were trained at our house by a trainer who worked with the dogs (without us present) for several weeks.

When he felt the dogs were ready, he then had us work with the dogs.

It worked very well and they responded to command on and off leash.

However, Dobermans are very responsive to training.

Just sharing this as an option to the boarding aspect.

The trainer could work with Daphne in your neighborhood and, hopefully, correct neighborhood issues as well as correct other concerns.

From contacts I’ve had over the years, many accomplished trainers provide a cost for training that includes any needed “return visits” once training has been completed.

GraciesMom

Reaction score
Hello Froxer Mom, I haven’t been online in a while because the situation with Gracie deteriorated pretty badly. It’s her aggressive behavior. We’ve been to a veterinary behaviorist, positive reinforcement trainer, neurologist and of course her regular vet on numerous occasions over this. Just when we think we’ve made progress she attacks. So far it’s only been us. We just visited a board and train professional on Friday. I’ve been reluctant to turn her over but I was very impressed with this individual. So we’re going to give it a try. We’re just waiting for an opening in their schedule. They are extremely busy and have excellent reviews. Plus once they train a dog they will also board them. We have been unable to go anywhere because no regular kennel will take her. I’m hoping this is the solution. I’ll let you know how it goes.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
We did this with our female bulldog, Banks. She was gone for a week and then we had in home training once a week, with homework, for a month. It was more to train us on how to handle her and recognize her triggers/signs she was goin to react.

I believe it was worth every penny and minute

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
I boarded my Rottweiler puppy with a trainer when he was 9 months and we were out of the country for a couple of weeks. I would say it was a really good experience. I spoke with the trainer in the few months leading up to the boarding regarding what I was looking for and what I could help to get the pup ready for his time with the trainer. He spent his days at boarding with other dogs and people and did extensive training on socialization and good behavior. I got nightly feedback from the trainer with photos and videos of how things were going.

I would like to think it paid off. He was pretty well-behaved prior to the boarding, but he is now really well socialized. It is quite a bit more expensive than regular boarding, so I don’t think I would do it again unless there were some issue that really needed addressed. I do think good trainers can do a lot. Make sure you do your homework into which trainer you. There were quite a few trainers in my area offering boarding; it took quite a bit of research to find one I felt comfortable with. My dog is very good natured, so I was only looking for trainer that dealt with positive reinforcement training methods. Good Luck.

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I would give it a try since it sounds like you've tried everything at this point. I'm no expert since Wally's a nut head on leash but it sounds like she needs one on one training. Good luck!!

FroxerMom

Reaction score
[MENTION=2100]Honeys Owners[/MENTION], [MENTION=188]Cbrugs[/MENTION], [MENTION=3301]Baer Rios[/MENTION], [MENTION=2172]mattcantwin[/MENTION], [MENTION=2]2bullymama[/MENTION], [MENTION=3439]Mechadogzilla[/MENTION], [MENTION=902]Squishy Walnuts[/MENTION]

I'm sorry it took me so long to come back in here and respond especially after you took the time to offer thoughts and advice. I've been busy researching trainers, working, and getting to the end results of this food/allergy study I enrolled Daphne into. I appreciate everyone's feedback. It is truly helpful and encouraging, especially those who were able to detail their experiences with board and train or other training methods. Thank you!
[MENTION=3106]GraciesMom[/MENTION] I sure have noticed your absence and I am truly sorry to hear that you have been occupied with behavior issues with Gracie. I really hope this board and train works for you as well because it sounds like we are both in a similar boat, not really being able to do much without an option for dog care! My fingers and toes are crossed for you. She is so lucky to have someone so dedicated to working to find a solution for her! Please do update when you have a chance and I will do the same if I end up trying this method myself!

🆕 Latest posts