Crusty spots, loss of hair, black skin, help!

egio

Reaction score
Hi,
My 10 year old Frenchie Louie has been struggling with skin issues for quite some time. He has had issues with Demodex as a pup and on and off allergies growing up. His current batch of skin issues has not gone away and my wife and I are getting desperate to help him. We have tried multiple rounds of different antibiotics (some made for him after lab tests), yeast infection medicine, different types of medicated shampoo, steroids, and apoquel. He has had his thyroid levels checked more than once and are on the low side of normal. He has been eating Natural Balance Duck and Potato food for years. The symptoms are first he gets pink areas under his fur, then the areas get crusty, eventually the hair falls out, and the skin turns blackish colored. The areas do not seem to itch him either. His general fur condition seems pretty brittle and course, not like it used to be. I attached some photos.

If anyone has had similar issues please let me know. Any ideas would help. The constant vet visits do not seem to be helping :(IMG_1187.JPGIMG_1189.JPGIMG_1188.JPGIMG_1190.JPG

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,
My 10 year old Frenchie Louie has been struggling with skin issues for quite some time. He has had issues with Demodex as a pup and on and off allergies growing up. His current batch of skin issues has not gone away and my wife and I are getting desperate to help him. We have tried multiple rounds of different antibiotics (some made for him after lab tests), yeast infection medicine, different types of medicated shampoo, steroids, and apoquel. He has had his thyroid levels checked more than once and are on the low side of normal. He has been eating Natural Balance Duck and Potato food for years. The symptoms are first he gets pink areas under his fur, then the areas get crusty, eventually the hair falls out, and the skin turns blackish colored. The areas do not seem to itch him either. His general fur condition seems pretty brittle and course, not like it used to be. I attached some photos.

If anyone has had similar issues please let me know. Any ideas would help. The constant vet visits do not seem to be helping :(View attachment 13510View attachment 13511View attachment 13512View attachment 13513

It most likely is a staph infection which needs stronger antibiotics for extended period of time.

I would change raw if you are willing.. stay with duck initially and then rotate to turkey and begin a third protein in the rotation,, beef, rabbit.

If not able to go raw... switch to a grain and potato free food.

Staph is usually due to low immune system.. give a good probiotic to help build it up. Herbsmith Microflora is one... you can also give fresh sauerkraut, raw goats milk or keifer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

egio

Reaction score
It most likely is a staph infection which needs stronger antibiotics for extended period of time.

I would change raw if you are willing.. stay with duck initially and then rotate to turkey and begin a third protein in the rotation,, beef, rabbit.

If not able to go raw... switch to a grain and potato free food.

Step is usually due to low immune system.. give a good probiotic to help build it up. Herbsmith Microflora is one... you can also give fresh sauerkraut, raw hots milk or keifer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the ideas. I am going to give a probiotic a try for now while I figure out some food options for him.