Home Cooked Diet Base Recipe

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
IMG_3241.jpg
A picture of some home cooked food I couldn't help but to have some bites of myself!

I have been cooking now for my bullies for geez.... probably close to 2 years.

I pretty much use the same "base" and switch it up. I also give a NuVet on days I home cook as well.

Ground Chuck Hamburger, boiled. Drain fat/grease and add 2 cups water or broth. I will also add chicken, fish, or whatever else I may need to get eaten but usually it's just hamburger.

10% potatoes, rice, pasta, cous-cous, ect. (starch)

2 16 ounce cans of lentils (not drained) or 1 cup dried lentils, soaked and cooked. I use mostly red kidney beans but will use just about any type and mix all the dry beans up for variety including chick peas and garbonzo beans, butter beans, black beans, pinto beans, ect.

10-15% veggies I usually use a Normandy style fresh frozen mix from costco, but they also have a stir fry, and also whatever I may need to use up in my crisper I will chop up as well. No onions, don't forget!

First I will cook the beans if they are dry beans, if not I cook and drain the hamburger, then add the starch and beans, then toss the frozen veggies on top. I will let it cook for an extra 45 mins or so until the starch is cooked.

I like to chop up the veggies into smaller pieces. I do not like to over cook the veggies or they will lose their nutritional value. So steaming them on top works well.

Each time I want to feed them I will put a large amount in a bowl and reheat it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. Less depending on how much but I am talking about 5 cups of food.

Spars

Reaction score
I'll have to try this for Cortana. Thank you for sharing!

winginit66

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Lisa! My 15-yr old wants to sample mine too!!!

winginit66

Reaction score
I made a big batch today for our dogs. I bought some beef short ribs that had been marked down at Kroger. I cut the meat off and gave everyone a bone. Of course, the Corgi and the Cairn made theirs last and chewed on the for a while. I was still cutting meat off of the second pack, looked down and Gidget's was G.O.N.E.

mhuinker

Reaction score
Hmmmm interesting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jessicae091

Reaction score
View attachment 1014
A picture of some home cooked food I couldn't help but to have some bites of myself!

I pretty much use the same "base" and switch it up. I also give a NuVet on days I home cook as well.

Ground Chuck Hamburger, boiled. Drain fat/grease and add 2 cups water or broth. I will also add chicken, fish, or whatever else I may need to get eaten but usually it's just hamburger.

2 16 ounce cans of lentils (not drained) or 1 cup dried lentils, soaked and cooked. I use mostly red kidney beans but will use just about any type and mix all the dry beans up for variety including chick peas and garbonzo beans, butter beans, black beans, pinto beans, ect.

10-15% veggies I usually use a Normandy style fresh frozen mix from costco, but they also have a stir fry, and also whatever I may need to use up in my crisper I will chop up as well. No onions, don't forget!

First I will cook the beans if they are dry beans, if not I cook and drain the hamburger, then add the starch and beans, then toss the frozen veggies on top. I will let it cook for an extra 45 mins or so until the starch is cooked.

I like to chop up the veggies into smaller pieces. I do not like to over cook the veggies or they will lose their nutritional value. So steaming them on top works well.

Each time I want to feed them I will put a large amount in a bowl and reheat it in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. Less depending on how much but I am talking about 5 cups of food.

can you add this to there dry food diet as well?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, a lot of the time they get half home cooked and half kibble, or as like a canned food topper too. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maddie

Reaction score
View attachment 1014

Do you have the exact recipe? How much do you think this costs per week? Trying to compare the cost with Stella and Chewys raw patties. Which would run around $30 for a 6 day supply. Thanks.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have the exact recipe? How much do you think this costs per week? Trying to compare the cost with Stella and Chewys raw patties. Which would run around $30 for a 6 day supply. Thanks.

I start with a 5lb chub of ground beef, but this makes a lot- you can freeze portions though. The ground beef is about $12- bag of dried beans $1, bag of fresh frozen veggies or whatever you have in the crisper- a few bucks... Rice or pasta, or even a couple of eggs.... Couple of potatoes or yams.... Less than $1

Just make sure you are giving a supplement along with it if you do decide to home cook since there is no way to know for sure if nutritional values are being met completely. That's one of the reasons I got to really using nuvet was when I started home cooking. The supplement is 50 cents a day but worth it even if you are feeding kibble.

Maddie

Reaction score
I start with a 5lb chub of ground beef, but this makes a lot- you can freeze portions though. The ground beef is about $12- bag of dried beans $1, bag of fresh frozen veggies or whatever you have in the crisper- a few bucks... Rice or pasta, or even a couple of eggs.... Couple of potatoes or yams.... Less than $1

Just make sure you are giving a supplement along with it if you do decide to home cook since there is no way to know for sure if nutritional values are being met completely. That's one of the reasons I got to really using nuvet was when I started home cooking. The supplement is 50 cents a day but worth it even if you are feeding kibble.

Your recipe is making me hungry. LOL... How many days does this last you?

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
About 3 days but that's for English bulldogs and I give half kibble half home cooked sometimes. For one frenchie I would say it could easily be a weeks worth so you should freeze portions if you make that big of a batch. Also if I use eggs I will scramble those the same day instead if having it in the mix. Then I can also warm the mix with the eggs instead of microwaving it.

bullmama

Staff member
Reaction score
Last night I had about a half pound of ground turkey so I made a quick pot of that with veggies and beans, it was good!

Maddie

Reaction score
Have you noticed improvement in your Bullies over health since you have been cooking for them? (skin, allergies, etc)

winginit66

Reaction score
My new favorite way to cook both chicken or beef... throw it in the crockpot! I can get chicken thighs with the bone in, throw them in at night, let them cook all night and in the morning the bones just slide right out. Meat is nice and moist.