I need help in firming up Hugo’s stool

Repose

Reaction score
I’ve been having ongoing problems with Hugo’s stool. He’s currently on a mainly raw diet, switching between local ground llama and buffalo meat, organ and bone mixes which include carrot, romaine, spinach, broccoli, green beans, celery, apple, pears, strawberries and blueberries (all ground up into frozen patties). He also get some green tripe.

I have already added canned pure pumpkin into his daily diet and that definitely helped for a few weeks but now we’re back to solid, but sludgey stool and I’m at a loss as to why. I saw him scoot today so I made an appointment to have his glands expressed again which I’ve had to do once before, a month ago.

He’s still definitely a puppy and being fed 4% of his 18lb weight, 0.750kg over the course of 4-5 small meals per day depending on my schedule. I’ve had to put him on an antacid once daily as well and that has been a huge help for his regurgitation issues but the stool problem persists.

I don’t know if I’m feeding him too much and that’s the problem? But I do worry about feeding him less as he’s a long and thin frenchie and is still very much in a lanky phase, quite skinny...I’m not too worried about weight, though, as I feel confident he’ll likely bulk up after he’s done growing.

My other puppy, Maple, seems to be absolutely THRIVING on this diet, she’s come so far from when I first got her with her hot spots, flatulence and overweight-ness all under control and back to a healthy normal and I so want to find the right formula for my dear Hugo.

Anyway, Long-winded way of saying I need some advice!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
A raw diet is the best. It could be too much food, I would probably try a little less just to test it out. Has he been tested for parasites recently? That can also cause soft poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mechadogzilla

Reaction score
I agree with the parasite test. Also, I have a powdered probiotic that I sprinkle on food every morning; I think it has helped. With my Frenchies, I used to sprinkle pumpkin powder (I think it was called Firm Up) on their food when things got ugly.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Agree... get parasites ruled out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repose

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I’ll have the vet do a parasite test and request some deworming if they feel it’s right. I’ll reduce feeding to maybe 650g for now and I’ve been thinking of boiling and mashing some plain sweet potato as a treat to see if he goes for it. I just can’t take him in until Friday and I want to bring him some comfort in the meantime. Tried to externally express his glands last night and failed.

Will update this thread if anything changes.