help! HOT dog farts

hack0si

Reaction score
One of my boys has the worst dog farts ever, he is about 8 months old. we have tried a few of the delivery dog foods, a few dry foods, home cooked meals, he is currently on kirkland brand grain fee dog food and it's still pretty bad, any suggestions on other brands to try?
His sister eats a home cooked meal, but the same meal will give him gnarly gas too and has many times before.

Thanks for any input!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Could be something specific in the food that is causing the digestive upset? You can try adding in a probiotic if you are not already doing so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hack0si

Reaction score
I have added probiotics to see if it helps, so far no real change, been a good 2-3 months like this. He had giardia when we got him but hes clear of it now, still gnarly gas though.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the protein you are currently feeding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hack0si

Reaction score
kirkland brand grain free dog food

FroxerMom

Reaction score
What is the protein source (the meat - is it chicken? Beef? Lamb? Pork? Duck? Turkey?). When my previous dogs ate kibble, their farts were always way worse. I switched to a commercial raw food and farting is almost non-existent and my Frenchie poops only twice a day in small amounts. If that is something you are able to try, it may be very worth it to you!

hack0si

Reaction score
It's beef as the protein, what commercial raw food did you go with? I am willing to try any diet to get his gas under control. He has similar issues with poultry as well.

Repose

Reaction score
It's beef as the protein, what commercial raw food did you go with? I am willing to try any diet to get his gas under control. He has similar issues with poultry as well.

Both my puppies came to me at 3 months old with room clearing farts and quite a bit of puppy bloat. I switched them cold turkey to Primal raw foods and cycled through the different proteins after each bag finished and had awesome results almost immediately and within about 2 weeks of strict raw feeding in small and frequent meals they were pretty much gas free and have been since.

I’ve since switched to a local company that provides more exotic proteins like llama, kangaroo and bison for a good deal and that’s something you can seek out. I just simply believe that smaller, local companies are extremely passionate about what they’re doing and are a great resource when you’re just beginning with raw foods.

I also supplement with raw fermented goats milk which is another source of probiotics and a great digestive aid. If you switch to raw feeding, and you’re willing to assault your nose, green tripe is another great digestive aid and my puppies go bonkers for it.

FroxerMom

Reaction score

I used PRIMAL for a long time, have also tried Tuckers with success and last month I went back to a supplier that ships the raw to my house as it is a bit less expensive than the pack of 12 patties you can buy in a pet supply store. I usually buy a 40 day supply at a time and it is about $90 including shipping.

I really would try it if you are able. It might be the very thing that works and stops the foul gas. Less poop too which is a welcome benefit!

hack0si

Reaction score
I used PRIMAL for a long time, have also tried Tuckers with success and last month I went back to a supplier that ships the raw to my house as it is a bit less expensive than the pack of 12 patties you can buy in a pet supply store. I usually buy a 40 day supply at a time and it is about $90 including shipping.

I really would try it if you are able. It might be the very thing that works and stops the foul gas. Less poop too which is a welcome benefit!

I would love to know the supplier you got 40 days food for $90 from, can you give me the name? thanks!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I rotate between a few commercial brands of raw...Primal, Stella & Chewy's, Vital Essentials, Tuckers, NW Naturals. I usually get them through any of the boutique pet shops in my area as well as through a local raw food co-op I joined. I have also been ordering stuff from Raw Fed K9 online. They offer free shipping.

hack0si

Reaction score
i switched to blue buffalo limited ingredients and we add sweet potato and ground beef and carrots and the gas is cut way way down