Daphne as an only dog

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Hi all,
Daphne was adopted a few years ago when she was 1 year old. We drove to Maryland to pick her up from her former home and brought her back to our house where she promptly smashed in the pet gate barrier we had set up to keep our resident Boxer and her separated until they could sniff each other and slowly integrate. She wasn't having it and got through the gate and attacked him that first night. He was a pretty docile boy and didn't fight back. We separated them and told her a firm "NO!" when she seemed to go after him again a little later in the evening, and then from then on, they were fine. They weren't super close buddies, but they did get along fine, they played, and napped together. Unfortunately, we had to say good-bye to our Boxer a few days before this past Christmas. Things have been really quiet and sad here without our big guy. Daphne did not eat for 1 day (if you knew her, you'd be shocked because she inhales her food). Other than that, I find her to be slightly more clingy, but nothing crazy. We are not interested at all, in adopting another dog. Because of how she and Sox met, I am assuming there is no way she'd allow another dog in the house. She is food and toy and bone possessive as well. Sox learned real quick to not mess with her so it was not an issue. I know it WAS possible for her to co-exist with another dog, because she obviously did it (her former home also had multiple dogs), but I am wondering if I should try her in an off-site/off-leash play group or something, just to keep her socialized. Daphne is a nightmare on a leash (she's been attacked many times by off-leash dogs) so she is super reactive. I would hate for her to become more "aggressive" if she doesn't have access to other dogs at all any more. We have a cat, that she likes and is VERY good with. Is that enough socialization? From what I can observe, she does not appear to like big dogs at all, and dark colored ones. She does not bark as much and is even (dare I say, calm) if she sees a smaller dog, though. Thoughts?

It's pretty sad around our house right now. We have been bringing her with us to carpool and to run errands and one of us waits in the car with her. We are coming home from work at lunch break to let her potty and play for a bit. She does not seem depressed, which is a bit of a relief as all of my experiences in the past have been with dogs who grieve tremendously when their companion passes.

Thanks for reading!20200115_154319.jpg

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
I'm not knowledgeable enough to advise on whether to get or not, but I would advise that if you do get another dog, you'll have much greater chance of them getting along if it's a male.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I probably would not take her to an off leash dog park. Too much of a risk in my opinion. Some dogs just can’t be around other dogs. What are the reasons you are wanting to keep her socialized? It might cause too much stress all around since she’s already reactive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I'm not knowledgeable enough to advise on whether to get or not, but I would advise that if you do get another dog, you'll have much greater chance of them getting along if it's a male.

I would never dream of adding a female - she is way too dominant a dog! I don't see us getting another dog at all. My friend has a gated dog play area where she lives and no one ever uses it. It's always empty. I was going to start with letting her run around in there a little and then maybe have her bring her dog and see if she plays nicely in there off leash with just one dog.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
I probably would not take her to an off leash dog park. Too much of a risk in my opinion. Some dogs just can’t be around other dogs. What are the reasons you are wanting to keep her socialized? It might cause too much stress all around since she’s already reactive.

The more I think about it, the more I'm doubting she would be successful in a social situation with other another dog(s). She IS very playful and would enjoy playing with Sox (wrestling, tug, fetch); it just makes me sad to think she won't have that type of interaction with a canine companion any more.

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I'm doubting she would be successful in a social situation with other another dog(s). She IS very playful and would enjoy playing with Sox (wrestling, tug, fetch); it just makes me sad to think she won't have that type of interaction with a canine companion any more.

She might be different with a puppy but hard to know for sure.

FroxerMom

Reaction score

Yes, I agree. Speaking of puppies - yours is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. Super adorable!

Baer Rios

Reaction score
There are videos on how to properly introduce don't ga, enen at dog parks. I'm working on it with my Frenchie. He has some much energy, it sometimes annoys the other dogs . What I'm starting to do at the dog park is , sit near the park for like 10 minutes so he can get accustomed to the smells in the air and also helps him calm down a bit. Than I take him in the fenched in area oand keep him on the leash for a bit before releasing. Still a work in progress but, it's helping

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree. Speaking of puppies - yours is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. Super adorable!

Thank you! She’s my first female and quite the little firecracker!

Squishy Walnuts

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Daphne sounds a lot like Wally. He's been attacked on and off leash and although I don't feel he's overly aggressive he is VERY excitable when he sees other dogs. He is very good with puppies though and isn't as much of a handful when he's near dogs his own size. He's a nightmare around bigger dogs.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Our Banks was an only dog candidate, but she did accept Cheli .. he was a pup of 8 moths when we got him. A full week of neutral site walks and she accepted him at home when we took the step

🆕 Latest posts