Red Irritated Skin - advice appreciated!

brooketuerlings

Reaction score
Hi!

My 2 year old frenchie has been dealing with some red irritated skin the past few weeks, mostly on her belly by her back legs. She scratches quite a bit and her skin is red and irritated.

We have tried bathing her weekly with "Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief Shampoo" and applying the "skin soother stick" from "natural dog company". Neither have had great success, only temporary relief.. maybe a few horus before she starts to scratch again. Our vet isn't too concerned and says it is just dry skin related to the winter weather. He just suggested giving her benedryl, which we tried and it worked in the sense that it made her extremely sleepy, and she doesn't scratch in her sleep.

Anyone else's frenchie having this issue? I've heard that coconut oil may help but I am nervous as she has a sensitive stomach. She currently eats "taste of the wild" brand food- a mix of their salmon dry & wet food. Any thoughts, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

My 2 year old frenchie has been dealing with some red irritated skin the past few weeks, mostly on her belly by her back legs. She scratches quite a bit and her skin is red and irritated.

We have tried bathing her weekly with "Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Hot Spot & Itch Relief Shampoo" and applying the "skin soother stick" from "natural dog company". Neither have had great success, only temporary relief.. maybe a few horus before she starts to scratch again. Our vet isn't too concerned and says it is just dry skin related to the winter weather. He just suggested giving her benedryl, which we tried and it worked in the sense that it made her extremely sleepy, and she doesn't scratch in her sleep.

Anyone else's frenchie having this issue? I've heard that coconut oil may help but I am nervous as she has a sensitive stomach. She currently eats "taste of the wild" brand food- a mix of their salmon dry & wet food. Any thoughts, tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Can you post a picture? It could be contact allergies from environmental issues... wipe her with a cool wash cloth after being outside, see if it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk