8 month old Frenchie cough.. Can't get rid of it.

j6debo

Reaction score
Hello FBN. I have been reading a few threads on here to see if anyone has the same symptoms my Frenchie is having. The first time I took him to the vet, they treated him for Kennel Cough. But the cough did not go away. The second visit, they treated him for distemper and also gave him a dewormer. Those didn't work either. He's been on amoxicillin, prednisone, Hydrocodone, and doxycycline. The prednisone minimized it for about 5 days, then when I was told to give him half a pill every other day, the cough immediately came back. So needless to say, Nothing has helped his cough go away. We have about 35 days left in country before we head back to the US. His cough has gotten worse at night where he hacks and sometimes spits up white foamy thick saliva. During the day, when we go for walks or ride in the car, the cough would be gone.. but as soon as we get back home, the cough shows up again. When we play, he would cough in between. But when he plays by himself, he wouldn't cough as much. This was about 2 weeks ago. Now, he coughs bad in the morning, during the day and at night. I believe it is getting worse. He sleeps sometimes with his head hanging off the bed I think it makes it feel better for him. If anyone has any idea what it could be, I would be grateful. The vet here in S. Korea wasn't very helpful. Last visit, she said to wait til we get back to the states to have him checked out. My concern is 35 days is still a long time for my Chance to have to endure a cough. Thanks for listening..

Last edited:

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Have they checked his soft palate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

j6debo

Reaction score
Not yet. The Vet in Korea does not have the capabilities to do that. So I have been researching soft palates but haven't seen any that mention a cough, just breathing problems. So I wasn't for sure if the soft palate surgery will help the cough go away.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
Not yet. The Vet in Korea does not have the capabilities to do that. So I have been researching soft palates but haven't seen any that mention a cough, just breathing problems. So I wasn't for sure if the soft palate surgery will help the cough go away.

I would have it evaluated once in US.

Can you get video?

j6debo

Reaction score
should I have him get treated again for it?

Honeys Owners

Reaction score
Sorry to hear. Vet shouldn't have used doxycycline in a puppy as it causes permanent discolouration of teeth, although you probably aren't as worried since Chance is a dog. Normal antibiotic for kennel cough/ pneumonia is amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for 2-4 weeks. Also try to give Chance some probiotics during treatment ( at least a couple of hours after antibiotic dose ) and for a couple of weeks after.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear. Vet shouldn't have used doxycycline in a puppy as it causes permanent discolouration of teeth, although you probably aren't as worried since Chance is a dog. Normal antibiotic for kennel cough/ pneumonia is amoxicillin/clavulanic acid for 2-4 weeks. Also try to give Chance some probiotics during treatment ( at least a couple of hours after antibiotic dose ) and for a couple of weeks after.

j6debo

Reaction score
South Korea doesn't have the best vets as I am experiencing, so why the vet here gave doxy to him, idk. But Everything worries me about Chance, he may be a dog, but he is my fur baby.. He was treated with Amoxicillin for 2 weeks. Still no change. He's been taking probiotics for a month now. usually in the afternoon. He has another vet visit today. Found a clinic that speaks better English, so hopefully they can figure this out. Thanks.

Playing this morning... https://youtu.be/O3M7CJu4uEQ

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
It's really hard to hear on the videos, but what I hear is possibly an elongated palate.

j6debo

Reaction score
[MENTION=4]davidh[/MENTION], If he gets surgery for this, will the coughing go away?

davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Reaction score
[MENTION=4062]j6debo[/MENTION] I would find a vet that specializes in English and French bulldogs. Have him checked for elongated palate. If that's not it, they should be able to figure it out. What part of Texas are you from? Here in Houston we have an excellent bully vet.