2 yr old now developing food aggression

NicoleMD

Reaction score
You guys! My sweet as sugar Wilhelmina has developed some food aggression that I think came on after a 2 week stay at my Mom's house while we were in Europe. My mom has two dogs who I suspect were eating her food or she was eating theirs bc it's junky and more delicious than her own special diet, lol. Anyway, she now guards her bowl, shakes nervously, chases my older dog away and worst of all nips at me, the other dog or anyone who comes near her (or her sister's) food.

What can I do??

Ive tried separating the girls at dinner but it doesn't do much because Wilhelmina will just run between the two rooms trying to guard both bowls. Neither dog eats.

2bullymama

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys! My sweet as sugar Wilhelmina has developed some food aggression that I think came on after a 2 week stay at my Mom's house while we were in Europe. My mom has two dogs who I suspect were eating her food or she was eating theirs bc it's junky and more delicious than her own special diet, lol. Anyway, she now guards her bowl, shakes nervously, chases my older dog away and worst of all nips at me, the other dog or anyone who comes near her (or her sister's) food.

What can I do??

Ive tried separating the girls at dinner but it doesn't do much because Wilhelmina will just run between the two rooms trying to guard both bowls. Neither dog eats.

Oh no!

Try hand feeding for a bit.. see if that settles her back down. There is an article on this topic ... will find a post back

Found it... https://www.whole-dog-journal.com/b...ing/how-to-manage-your-resource-guarding-dog/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NicoleMD

Reaction score
Ive put the dogs on the same food and that seemed to solve the aggression. Guess she just didnt like that her sister was getting something more yummy. ha!

Cbrugs

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just seeing this. I have 3 dogs now and Louie and Jax eat near each other. Louie will normally wait until Jax is done before he goes for his bowl. The new puppy eats in a crate because I know Louie would bully her out of her food.

FroxerMom

Reaction score
Are you still seeing improvement then by putting them on the same food?

NicoleMD

Reaction score
Yes and no. She doesnt go after the other dog's food anymore but does start to shake before eating IF the Roomba has been vacuuming. I legitimately think she thinks it's a threat or another animal and for the rest of the day she's anxious and out of sorts. Took me forever to put those two things together but I figured it out when it turned on and Minnie ran to her bowl to protect it from the vacuum. Ha! So now we only run it while we're on walks. we're about 90% resolved.